Helene St. James Svechnikov called up to the NHL

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Svech not on the powerplay in practice. Hopefully he'll get some time there before the season ends, it's important we take his development seriously.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
With Svech call up to Detroit, Griffins call up Sadowy from Toledo (ECHL). I'm hearing he is scoring well for the Walleye. Hope he can jump start the Griffins offence in PA this weekend.

Reactions: Redder Winger

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Good. Hopefully he does well here because he seemed to be floundering a bit in GR. Maybe just needs a change of scenery.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

I think you're asking too much of AA to center a rookie with Helm on the other side. Helm can be a trainwreck getting the puck out. AA isn't the best defensive center in the world. And Svech is an offensively minded rookie.

I'd probably switch Helm and Abby.
Or maybe move Helm to center.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
#RedWings lines at skate:
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi
Frk-Larkin-Mantha
Abdelkader-Athanasiou-Svechnikov
Booth/Witkowski-Glendening-Helm

I’ll take it.

FML line back together too

This is actually very reassuring to see, and hopefully there's a commitment to this kind of lineup from above Blashill's head. The young guys still looking to establish themselves at this level (Bert, Frk, Svechnikov) are actually being put with capable linemates instead of being buried on a grinding line. Granted Bert seems to have been getting some preferential treatment, compared to prior players, but it has always been my biggest pet peeve is finally giving young, skilled forwards a chance at the NHL level, only to saddle them with the shutdown line that gets deployed in defensive scenarios 70% of the time, for 10 minutes/game. And immediately hear after the fact that said player didn't do enough to warrant more playing time.

This is the time to try new things and stick with them even if they don't work. Drop Mantha around the faceoff dot on the powerplay, let Athanasiou use his speed to kill penalties, let Dekeyser or Jensen QB the powerplay instead of Kronwall. Give the young players every chance to grow their game, even at the cost of wins. Understand that there will probably be more failures than successes in some situations, and don't bench people at the first sight of a mental mistake.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
This is actually very reassuring to see, and hopefully there's a commitment to this kind of lineup from above Blashill's head. The young guys still looking to establish themselves at this level (Bert, Frk, Svechnikov) are actually being put with capable linemates instead of being buried on a grinding line. Granted Bert seems to have been getting some preferential treatment, compared to prior players, but it has always been my biggest pet peeve is finally giving young, skilled forwards a chance at the NHL level, only to saddle them with the shutdown line that gets deployed in defensive scenarios 70% of the time, for 10 minutes/game. And immediately hear after the fact that said player didn't do enough to warrant more playing time.

This is the time to try new things and stick with them even if they don't work. Drop Mantha around the faceoff dot on the powerplay, let Athanasiou use his speed to kill penalties, let Dekeyser or Jensen QB the powerplay instead of Kronwall. Give the young players every chance to grow their game, even at the cost of wins. Understand that there will probably be more failures than successes in some situations, and don't bench people at the first sight of a mental mistake.
I agree with all of this except allowing Dekeyser and Jensen to qb a PP. there is no way that either of them can or ever should be doing that. Jensen can barely pass a puck

Reactions: TheMule93

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dekeyser and Jensen on PP would same as if we tank and play Booth-Glendy-Witkowski for 25mins.

Our young near future PP QBs are Cholowski, Hronek or Saarijärvi. Call some of them up and then give a chance. If they stay down, go with regulars. No need to put any wood-hands without skill there.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Dekeyser and Jensen on PP would same as if we tank and play Booth-Glendy-Witkowski for 25mins.

Our young near future PP QBs are Cholowski, Hronek or Saarijärvi. Call some of them up and then give a chance. If they stay down, go with regulars. No need to put any wood-hands without skill there.
Ya if it were up to me both Jensen and oullette aren’t even on the team next year either traded or waived. They are not nhl d-men

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree with all of this except allowing Dekeyser and Jensen to qb a PP. there is no way that either of them can or ever should be doing that. Jensen can barely pass a puck

That's not really the point I'm making. Let's face the facts, Cholowski/Saarijarvi are in no way ready to play in the NHL, Hicketts/Hronek while being ready to make the jump (or close enough), will not be afforded that opportunity this year in all likelihood. What harm are you getting out of letting Dekeyser playing on the powerplay? Your fear of losing games? They do that already, and chances are you are actively rooting for it. Your desire to avoid watching ineffective, boring, borderline offensive special teams? They already provide that.

So I'm begging you, please tell me why watching an soon to be out of hockey 37 year old Kronwall putting in uninspiring powerplay minutes, en route to another loss, is any better than watching a 28 year old Dekeyser try to add a different dimension to his game, when he's set to make $5M per year until 2022 as a Wing. Just because the long-term solution isn't waiting to step in doesn't mean that we need to sit on our hands doing absolutely nothing with the players that still have a chance to improve, no matter how small the odds are.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'd love to use XO on the PP for a few weeks.
XO gets shots through to the net pretty well and he's a fairly decent passer.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
That's not really the point I'm making. Let's face the facts, Cholowski/Saarijarvi are in no way ready to play in the NHL, Hicketts/Hronek while being ready to make the jump (or close enough), will not be afforded that opportunity this year in all likelihood. What harm are you getting out of letting Dekeyser playing on the powerplay? Your fear of losing games? They do that already, and chances are you are actively rooting for it. Your desire to avoid watching ineffective, boring, borderline offensive special teams? They already provide that.

So I'm begging you, please tell me why watching an soon to be out of hockey 37 year old Kronwall putting in uninspiring powerplay minutes, en route to another loss, is any better than watching a 28 year old Dekeyser try to add a different dimension to his game, when he's set to make $5M per year until 2022 as a Wing. Just because the long-term solution isn't waiting to step in doesn't mean that we need to sit on our hands doing absolutely nothing with the players that still have a chance to improve, no matter how small the odds are.

I get what you are trying to say, but what does putting Jensen on there tell the rest of the guys, that we give up on trying to win games, Jensen and Dekeyser have no business ever seeing a second of ice time on a pp. you can complain about Kronwall, but st least I get it the guy can still think the game and make plays that resemble he’s an offensive d-man, his mobility is the reason he struggles on it. Jensen has very low hockey iq and very low offensive instincts.

A play I saw the other night in st.louis clearly showed this, Detroit were hemming the blues in there end for probably a good minute and had them on the ropes, not only that but they had a player with no stick so they were essentially 5-4 with a super tired group. Jensen punches down the wall and flips a weak backhander into Allen’s glove, that is by far the worst play you could ever make. It goes to show the low iq, a solid d-man would possess the puck and work the forward without a stick to generate a grade A scoring chance.

If you wanna change the pp we should waive Jensen and xo and call up Hronek and hickets that would signal development to me not playing a defensive d-man in Dekeyser and a player who shouldn’t be in the nhl and has no hockey iq in Jensen. But that’s just me

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'd love to use XO on the PP for a few weeks.
XO gets shots through to the net pretty well and he's a fairly decent passer.

I'd hope management/coach would try these types of experiments at this point in the season. It's not productive trotting out the same losing lineup with the same players playing in the same spots when there's options available. No reason for Kronwall to be getting so much PP time.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I get what you are trying to say, but what does putting Jensen on there tell the rest of the guys, that we give up on trying to win games, Jensen and Dekeyser have no business ever seeing a second of ice time on a pp. you can complain about Kronwall, but st least I get it the guy can still think the game and make plays that resemble he’s an offensive d-man, his mobility is the reason he struggles on it. Jensen has very low hockey iq and very low offensive instincts.

A play I saw the other night in st.louis clearly showed this, Detroit were hemming the blues in there end for probably a good minute and had them on the ropes, not only that but they had a player with no stick so they were essentially 5-4 with a super tired group. Jensen punches down the wall and flips a weak backhander into Allen’s glove, that is by far the worst play you could ever make. It goes to show the low iq, a solid d-man would possess the puck and work the forward without a stick to generate a grade A scoring chance.

If you wanna change the pp we should waive Jensen and xo and call up Hronek and hickets that would signal development to me not playing a defensive d-man in Dekeyser and a player who shouldn’t be in the nhl and has no hockey iq in Jensen. But that’s just me

I hear your point on Jensen and he might not be the most intelligent player, but he has shown the willingness to jump into the rush and take chances that Kronwall is just not capable of anymore. He's obviously not Karlsson, but you're just looking for something that clicks. As someone else mentioned, Ouellet is an option because he gets shots through. Dekeyser is an option because Holland already married him to the organization for a while, try to get your money's worth.

But that's besides the point, the lines for tonight indicate that Blashill has either been smart enough to notice it himself, or someone above him has instructed him that it's time to punt on the season and start to make assessments for the future. Anything that can be tried, should be tried.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I hear your point on Jensen and he might not be the most intelligent player, but he has shown the willingness to jump into the rush and take chances that Kronwall is just not capable of anymore. He's obviously not Karlsson, but you're just looking for something that clicks. As someone else mentioned, Ouellet is an option because he gets shots through. Dekeyser is an option because Holland already married him to the organization for a while, try to get your money's worth.

But that's besides the point, the lines for tonight indicate that Blashill has either been smart enough to notice it himself, or someone above him has instructed him that it's time to punt on the season and start to make assessments for the future. Anything that can be tried, should be tried.

I guess I just don’t see jumping up in the play as really a trait that helps a pp considering the idea of a pp is possession not really jumping up in the rush. Anyways I agree that oullete at least has hockey iq and a shot that can get through.

I don’t see the lines as punting on the season (I mean it’s over anyways no matter what lines you have) I think it just makes more of 3 scoring lines as opposed to a grinding line and a misfit line. I actually like the lines and at least see them as the most entertaining they can be under what we have

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->