Rumor: Svech and Rasmussen with the team next year

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
7 goals in 47 games for Svech? I'm all out of hope for him. That's awful.

It depends what you're hoping for. If you're hoping for a 1st line, 60+ point scoring Winger, then you are probably right to be out of hope. If you are out of hope for him becoming a solid 2nd/3rd complementary scoring winger with a gritty side to his game, then you are jumping the gun a bit. He's still young, and he's come to life after an injury. Far too early to write off his NHL career.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It depends what you're hoping for. If you're hoping for a 1st line, 60+ point scoring Winger, then you are probably right to be out of hope. If you are out of hope for him becoming a solid 2nd/3rd complementary scoring winger with a gritty side to his game, then you are jumping the gun a bit. He's still young, and he's come to life after an injury. Far too early to write off his NHL career.

his production is barely 3rd liner in the AHL this season

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I dont know the stats/history but I'm sure there have been players that flourished in the nhl and did so-so in the ahl.

Could that be a possibility ?

Or is he a lost cause ?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't believe I said right now. Try again.

Your exact words were "Better than nyquist and tatar". If you were not talking about the present tense, you should have said "Will be Better than nyquist and tatar." These are basic rules of the English language.

Don't say something incorrectly, then get all worked up that people take you for what you wrote.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I dont know the stats/history but I'm sure there have been players that flourished in the nhl and did so-so in the ahl.

Could that be a possibility ?

Or is he a lost cause ?

My math might just be off but it looks like he's put up 12 points in his last 18 games, after an awful start to the year. I think it's pretty possible that he just couldn't get it going after being injured to start the year, and he's just started to find his game since January. I can't imagine him ever being an elite top line wing that pops in 40 goals or anything, but I think he is far from a lost cause.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Svech/Zadina – Larkin – Mantha
Tatar/Nyquist – Rasumussen – AA
E. Svech – Helm – Bert

^^^ Could be a legit top 9. The combination of speed, skill, size and grit would give opponents fits.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
7 goals in 47 games for Svech? I'm all out of hope for him. That's awful.

Look at the splits. He's been doing very well the last 20 games. Upper body, especially neck/shoulder are insane to recover from. Imagine how much you move that part of your body. Now stop. Completely stop. For weeks to months. Then have to recover from that.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

This is why I shoot down pretty much any trade where Detroit receives a middle 6 winger. We're overloaded with them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I loved the Svech pick and thought he had a lot of potential. Not sure what happened, hopefully he figures it out and gets back on track.

I’d be fine with both of them being on the team next year. We would have a big lineup. Svech plays with some jam, and Rasmussen goes to the dirty areas. Would free up Mantha on the PP as well.

Reactions: turkleton85

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I loved the Svech pick and thought he had a lot of potential. Not sure what happened, hopefully he figures it out and gets back on track.

I’d be fine with both of them being on the team next year. We would have a big lineup. Svech plays with some jam, and Rasmussen goes to the dirty areas. Would free up Mantha on the PP as well.

I know people scoffed at it. But they are building a team that isn't going to be a whole lot of fun to play against in my opinion.

I know people are worried about going with something they think is dying in hockey, but I believe it will swing back. You need enough talent for sure, but the Wings could be a pretty rugged group here soon. I personally like that kind of hockey as well. Winnipeg for instance has several big guys that make playing them just a nightmare most nights.

Honestly why I am not opposed to either Svechnikov or Tkachuk in the draft. I want a D-man, but both of those guys fit with the group we are building in my opinion. Trade AA for defensive help if that is where the pick falls.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know people scoffed at it. But they are building a team that isn't going to be a whole lot of fun to play against in my opinion.

I know people are worried about going with something they think is dying in hockey, but I believe it will swing back. You need enough talent for sure, but the Wings could be a pretty rugged group here soon. I personally like that kind of hockey as well. Winnipeg for instance has several big guys that make playing them just a nightmare most nights.

Honestly why I am not opposed to either Svechnikov or Tkachuk in the draft. I want a D-man, but both of those guys fit with the group we are building in my opinion. Trade AA for defensive help if that is where the pick falls.

That last part, well good luck with that. Hard to move wingers for legit defenseman or defense prospects. Don’t think AA is on the level of someone like Drouin, which is the type of piece you have to move to get legitimate help there.

I like the wingers in this draft, but I also like the defenseman, so I’m kind of torn in that regard. I might even like Wahlstrom more than Tkachuk, but I know that’s not a popular opinion. But honestly all of Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina, Wahlstrom are guys who have a good package of size and skill. I want a defenseman... but those are very good prospects.

I don’t mind having a big team. Probably a good idea to have big players as your supporting cast. But going to need an elite guy on the back end, and maybe another elite guy up front. Don’t care if those guys end up being big or small.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That last part, well good luck with that. Hard to move wingers for legit defenseman or defense prospects. Don’t think AA is on the level of someone like Drouin, which is the type of piece you have to move to get legitimate help there.

I like the wingers in this draft, but I also like the defenseman, so I’m kind of torn in that regard. I might even like Wahlstrom more than Tkachuk, but I know that’s not a popular opinion. But honestly all of Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina, Wahlstrom are guys who have a good package of size and skill. I want a defenseman... but those are very good prospects.

I don’t mind having a big team. Probably a good idea to have big players as your supporting cast. But going to need an elite guy on the back end, and maybe another elite guy up front. Don’t care if those guys end up being big or small.

Completely agree. I am not sure what we can get for AA. Heck I would be willing to get a Ceci for him or something of that nature.

My point is the log-jam on the wing doesn't bother me. I would prefer a D-man in this draft, ideally Dahlin:laugh:

However, this is a draft I really like. I said it before but it is hard to get me really upset about anyone.

Also while I hope we move on from Nyquist and Tatar at this point, I am not really beholden to anyone on the roster. I would like to keep Mantha and Larkin but we will have to see what is out there. I think if we can get a 2nd pairing d-man with upside that we are comfortable with for AA, I make that trade at this point.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Here's the depth chart on defense:

dumpsterfire1.gif

I would have used the burning bag of dog poop from Billy Madison, but this works too.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Completely agree. I am not sure what we can get for AA. Heck I would be willing to get a Ceci for him or something of that nature.

My point is the log-jam on the wing doesn't bother me. I would prefer a D-man in this draft, ideally Dahlin:laugh:

I feel the same, in fact I don't think it's even really a logjam. The only skilled prospect winger is Svech and he may never be more than a 25-goal scorer. Of Nyquist, Tatar and AA, I wouldn't be surprised if at least two if not all three are with different NHL teams in three years.

The team needs skill up front, particularly play-making skill. I don't care very much whether it's a winger or a center. And likewise, I still prefer taking a D. There are too many potential 1D prospects to pass on all of them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I think most idealistic tactic would still be taking a forward with Detroit 1st overall (~7th), and then take a bunch of defencemen who will drop outside the TOP25 from 1st round on that 28-38 pick range. If we get a 1st for Green, then we would have three shots to hit with D there.

This is a deep defenceman draft, so I'm quite sure those 28-38 range guys would be more talented than usual drafts.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

This is the Svechnikov I like to remember. Snipes a goal, scores from net-front rebound, passes from behind the goal for a quality chance etc.

The skill is there.

Get the strength, speed and confidence, and he is ready.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017

This is the Svechnikov I like to remember. Snipes a goal, scores from net-front rebound, passes from behind the goal for a quality chance etc.

The skill is there.

he has added one more assist last night, being almost a PPG in his last 12 or 13 games in the AHL. i think he's rebounding from the injury and with a full offseason of heathy workouts under his belt, should be able to contribute in the NHL. I wrote this in an other thread, but physically, he is a very imposing guy, build like a football player. if he has his skating improved a little bit, he might be a real tough guy behind the net

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Khan repeated they are planning on Rasmussen next season, terrific news. Just like Svechnikov I don't care if they're not good enough yet to dominate in the top 6, the Wings must start acting like a rebuilding team by investing/gambling on the future.

Super excited to see what the highest pick in the last 30 years can contribute now and down the road.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

The skill is there.

I don't see much skill.
Both goals he was in good position to get off a shot without getting checked.
At least the first goal was a good shot. The second was an empty net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad