Rumor: Svech and Rasmussen with the team next year

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
No, he showed he can play with teams made up of mostly AHL players.
Most players in the OHL aren't good enough nor ever will be to play in the AHL and the ones that do eventually aren't as good as they will be when they make it to the AHL. And I am pretty sure that in most of the preseason games at least half of them are actually NHL players.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If we can get at least a couple rookies playing for us next season, on top of a top 3 draft pick who could possibly be able to step in right away (definitely dahlin), I would be very enthusiastic about watching us next season.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Most players in the OHL aren't good enough nor ever will be to play in the AHL and the ones that do eventually aren't as good as they will be when they make it to the AHL. And I am pretty sure that in most of the preseason games at least half of them are actually NHL players.
What does the OHL have to do with it? I guess I don't understand what you're saying.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not a surprise. No need for Rasmussen anymore at juniors. Guy has man's body.

Not so sure about Svechnikov, is he NHL ready. Easier to move him between Griffins and Detroit. Rasmussen can't go to AHL.

Hopefully either Hronek or Cholowski also steals a job.

Larkin
Mantha
Rasmussen
Athanasiou
Bertuzzi
Svechnikov
Turgeon

Cholowski
Hronek

That would be nice to see. 6 players drafted by Wright.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don’t see it with Rasmussen. If we want this guy to develop any sort of NHL offensive game, I think he needs to stay and develop more, because I think if he comes up now, he’ll just be a third liner who can play in front of the net on the power play. Real crummy pick from the brain trust last summer.

Svechnikov should come up, I think if the dude is going to be a gamer, it’s time to give him a shot.

Reactions: MikeyDee

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Just to be clear, we don't have to move Nyquist/Tatar to have space for these two guys. We just have to be willing to move guys like Gator and Helm down the lineup. Besides, a fourth line of Bert-Helm-Gator would be pretty darn nice.

I don’t see it with Rasmussen. If we want this guy to develop any sort of NHL offensive game, I think he needs to stay and develop more, because I think if he comes up now, he’ll just be a third liner who can play in front of the net on the power play. Real crummy pick from the brain trust last summer.

Svechnikov should come up, I think if the dude is going to be a gamer, it’s time to give him a shot.

If Rasmussen could go to GR, yeah, I could see keeping him down for another year. But another year in the WHL when he's 6'6'' 215 lbs? He's going to start dominating just because he's more experienced and far larger than everyone he's going against, and I don't think that will help him. He needs to go against guys who can consistently match up with him physically.

Reactions: Ezekial

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I can see both up. The Wings are going to have a shitty roster again next year. Shitty rosters are easy to make. As Henkka points out, the bigger question is whether Cholo or Hronek make it.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Just got home and was listening to 97.1 (I know, not the best for hockey), and they said there was someone with the wings who said theyre trying to move wingers at this deadline to not only get future picks but they think both Svechnikov and Rasmussen will be with the team next year.

Svech is finally heating up in the AHL but I have no idea what to think about him as a prospect. Lots of talent and can take over games but 18 points in 46 games this year is pretty bad.

Rasmussen its not surprising, hes big, NHL ready, a high pick and had a really good camp to kick off a really good season so far this year.

Would anyone be surprised to see both these guys start with the wings next year?

Is the guy on 97.1 inside a time machine and is he in the 2016-17 hockey season? He is not even close to heating up. With Puempel out for another week, the Griffins has moved Svech up to the top line in Puempel's place on the line with Street and Tangradi to get his game back on track. Got 2 assists tonight, but will wait and see if he can continue to produce more on a more consistent basis.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I'm cautiously optimistic about Svech, he's been touted as a hard worker and coachable in AHL (well atleast I remember read that). So a tough season might do him well if it motivates him further in the summer, he's got the tools to succeed and if he can improve his acceleration he'll be a very valuable player for us. I see him having the tools to enable other players around him.

Also a question for people that has watched him in AHL, how is he with boardbattles and net fron presence, can he be effective in those areas?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's being reported (not sure how credibly mind you) the intention is to start him on the wing like Larkin.

Were you listening on 97.1..I didnt catch all of it but it did sound like they would maybe play him on the wing to start and do a similar thing as they did with Larkin. Start Larkin on the wing ith an established center (Z), get him scoring a bit and learning. Over time transition him to center and have him hold down his own line. Seems like a good strategy to me.

Is the guy on 97.1 inside a time machine and is he in the 2016-17 hockey season? He is not even close to heating up. With Puempel out for another week, the Griffins has moved Svech up to the top line in Puempel's place on the line with Street and Tangradi to get his game back on track. Got 2 assists tonight, but will wait and see if he can continue to produce more on a more consistent basis.

Hes got 8 points his last ten games.. Thats not setting the world on fire but its definitely heating up and trending in the right direction compared to his horrible start

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I will say this, if Svech pans out (assuming Rasmussen is sure fire NHLer, even if his ceiling isnt super high) the wings are suddenly going to have a very big and fairly nasty offensive core in the coming years, especially if Givani Smith can maybe pan out to a 3rd line guy and we get another one this draft. A ton of size, strength, and temper
Only if they land a real playmaker or two (including a 1C) to bring it all together on offense. Otherwise it's Larkin and an interesting yet disjointed potpourri.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
stop talking about Dahlin... we arnt even close to crappy enough to get him.
Actually we are, they’ve re-done the lottery so now every team outside the playoffs has a chance at the top 3 picks. The worst team actually has less than 50% chance to draft #1. It’s a small chance no matter where you land outside the playoffs, but it’s factually incorrect to say we’re not crappy enough to get him.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
What does the OHL have to do with it? I guess I don't understand what you're saying.
Rasmussen currently plays in the OHL, Svechnikov played in the Q at the same age and was a little more productive but Rasmussen has already shown that he can play with the big boys something Svechnikov is yet to do. (he had a great preseason game against Toronto when he was a year older but that was just one game and he was a year older).

Last edited:

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I think that should be determined by the coaching staff (whoever that may be - Keenan?) at the end of camp next year. That's another one 0f the Wings big mistakes is that the roster is always already pretty much determined before camp even begins.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Rasmussen currently plays in the OHL, Svechnikov played in the Q at the same age and was a little more productive but Rasmussen has already shown that he can play with the big boys something Svechnikov is yet to do. (he had a great preseason game against Toronto when he was a year older but that was just one game and he was a year older).

And this is why your analysis isn't worth reading, you don't even know what league Ras plays in.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That's another one 0f the Wings big mistakes is that the roster is always already pretty much determined before camp even begins.
Tie goes to the vet. Babcock would always take the vet over a rookie. If the rookie couldn't outperform the vet then back to the minors they go. I suspect going forward there will be even more open spots for players to earn in camp.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
And this is why your analysis isn't worth reading, you don't even know what league Ras plays in.
Wtf???
I know that he is averaging a little less than Svech did in one of the CHL leagues but in a small sample size Rasmussen has had more success playing with NHLers at a much younger age. He made more of an impact with the Wings in the preseason than Svech who is 3 years older than him and that is encouraging.
You said "Ras hasn't even proven what Svech has at the CHL level. Svech in his +1 had over a 1.5 ppg. Ras is under 1.3. He's not exactly setting the world on fire." and I replied with " But he scored 4 goals in 4 games playing with and against NHL players in the preseason. I know it's a small sample size but still somewhat encouraging."
I still don't like the Rasmussen pick because Vilardi was the obvious choice.

Svech is having a very disappointing season. If he wasn't a first rounder he may have been demoted to Toledo at some point.
Bottom line is that they need to earn a spot on the team in camp.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No, he showed he can play with teams made up of mostly AHL players.

Ok, that still shows that he can score at least in the AHL, with 4 goals in 6 or 7 games, versus Svech having 18 pts in 47 GP. Not knocking Svech as I hope he is a good one and will get it going, just wanting to say, there is no need to keep running Rasmussen down just because he wasn't the preferred choice to some or even many on the internet.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ok, that still shows that he can score at least in the AHL, with 4 goals in 6 or 7 games, versus Svech having 18 pts in 47 GP. Not knocking Svech as I hope he is a good one and will get it going, just wanting to say, there is no need to keep running Rasmussen down just because he wasn't the preferred choice to some or even many on the internet.

Preseason games aren't an indication of much, if anything, because teams rarely use their NHL rosters, and vets have no motivation to really bring it. Especially worse when there is a tiny sample size. The best comparison we have can make is based on their performance in the CHL, because they are much larger sample sizes. Right now Svech has a much better track record in the CHL than Ras. And Ras should be dominating because of his size, yet his ppg isn't world burning.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Preseason games aren't an indication of much, if anything, because teams rarely use their NHL rosters, and vets have no motivation to really bring it. Especially worse when there is a tiny sample size. The best comparison we have can make is based on their performance in the CHL, because they are much larger sample sizes. Right now Svech has a much better track record in the CHL than Ras. And Ras should be dominating because of his size, yet his ppg isn't world burning.

Believe me, I definitely agree about preseason, as I put next to no stock in it, myself. However the thing with junior is, that so many guys light it up in their draft year, and the year after, and then never become that scoring force in the AHL or NHL. With Svech struggling to put up pts in the AHL, even after missing with injury for some of it, is quite concerning, becuase most players that struggle offensively in the AHL never become more than 3rd and 4th line energy guys, in the NHL. That is fine and all, but I think most of us are hoping for a player who can at least put up 40 pts or more in the NHL and right now, that seems on the lower end of the spectrum. Admittedly I know very little of Svech's game, as I have really never seen him play except last year in the one game he got into, where he scored in the shootout, however the way some on here have talked in the past about him, I was at least hoping we would get a 40+ pt second liner out of him.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
This is also svech second year. Sophomore slump anyone? It's usually real. Second I believe he was hurt to start the year. Slow start. He will be fine.

Better than nyquist and tatar.

The poor guys, noone really likes them although they are pretty good players. Of course, we are annoyed by their small stature, soft play, and weaknesses. But tatar is a good goal scorer, and nyquist plays with a bit of an edge this year. They are underrated because we thought they would develop further than they have.

I'm not a fan of either player, but they aren't as bad as a struggling svechnikov overtaking them by default (although i am a huge fan of svech)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->