Post-Game Talk: Suzuki is the Nature of Winning Things! Habs beasting the SO! 5-4 SO win!

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I haven't read that but if you're right then I agree with you. Danault is not in the same league. He falls in the next tier of two-way centers.

Danault it pretty much what Eller would have become if we would have placed him in a top 6 role with better linesmates.
Eller did put up 30 points in 46 games with Galchenyuk and Prust…..and Tatar-Gallagher is a much better duo of linesmates.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault it pretty much what Eller would have become if we would have placed him in a top 6 role with better linesmates.
Eller did put up 30 points in 46 games with Galchenyuk and Prust…..and Tatar-Gallagher is a much better duo of linesmates.
This so much, and the same people who are adamant about Danault are the ones that hated on Eller. Its crazy.

Looking back at things, I wanted Eller in the top 6 earlier in his career, but once that was done it was clear be didnt develop the offensive game to hang in there and Therrien used him right, probably the only good coaching he did, regardless of him ruining his offensive potential earlier.

Basically use Eller as a breakout device and a cycling maching. Thats exactly what Danault should be doing. 15 minutes with defensive assignments and whenever he got the puck in the Ozone, hed be switched out for DD.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

This so much, and the same people who are adamant about Danault are the ones that hated on Eller. Its crazy.

Looking back at things, I wanted Eller in the top 6 earlier in his career, but once that was done it was clear be didnt develop the offensive game to hang in there and Therrien used him right, probably the only good coaching he did, regardless of him ruining his offensive potential earlier.

Basically use Eller as a breakout device and a cycling maching. Thats exactly what Danault should be doing. 15 minutes with defensive assignments and whenever he got the puck in the Ozone, hed be switched out for DD.

Eller, like Danault, is a #3 C. On a contender neither should be on the top two lines. And Eller's offensive game didn't develop because he never had one.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Disagree, i think Eller has more raw tools and physical skills, but I think Danault has better IQ and better overall contributions if put in the same role. Danault is a pretty good player man. The level of hate towards him.is not warranted at all.IMO.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Eller, like Danault, is a #3 C. On a contender neither should be on the top two lines. And Eller's offensive game didn't develop because he never had one.
I dont agree and history wouldnt agree on Eller either but I dont want to rehash this debate. I agree on the first part though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Can you tell me where Armia was selected?
16th OV and he also had offensive potential. How he was used coming up though, I have no idea. I do know how we used Eller and it wasn't much of an offensive role. Let's put KK in defensive assignments keep 3rd line checkers with him and no PP time...let's see how great his offensive game is in 3-4 yeasrs..

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Neither of them had NHL offense. If scouts selected them that high then they miscalculated.
They didn't. It's the draft. You select boys that are very young. Eller was drafted as one of the top player in the U20 after 55pts in 39gp for the Junior champions. He had potential and he's shown it by moments in the NHL too.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
They didn't. It's the draft. You select boys that are very young. Eller was drafted as one of the top player in the U20 after 55pts in 39gp for the Junior champions. He had potential and he's shown it by moments in the NHL too.
Nilan had the best scouting report on Eller. Lars dekes half the opposing team, circles the opposing net two, three times and then shoots, hitting the organist on the forehead.

Reactions: JAPPO

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Nilan had the best scouting report on Eller. Lars dekes half the opposing team, circles the opposing net two, three times and then shoots, hitting the organist on the forehead.
Did Nilan even know who Lars Eller was before he was traded to the Habs?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He wasn't selected 13th overall for having slick hair mate.

Eller has the raw tools of a top 10 pick but zero offensive instincts. The guy was an absolute walnut when he had to do something with the puck in the O zone. I don't think it's really a development or usage issue, when you don't have it you don't have it.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Eller has the raw tools of a top 10 pick but zero offensive instincts. The guy was an absolute walnut when he had to do something with the puck in the O zone. I don't think it's really a development or usage issue, when you don't have it you don't have it.
Ironicly enough, his hockey sense was part of why he was valued so much. So yes, I would argue it absolutely was a developmental and usage issue.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
For sure. As soon as he gets into the offensive zone, it's like he has a panic attack and forgets what to do. Danault is a definite upgrade in that area.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't think so but his report was the most succinct I've seen. That was Eller's offense game in a nutshell.
So we couldn't help develop a player who's good enough to deke half the opposing team and retain the puck to circle behind the net 2-3 times?? And you're saying this offensive dud was good enough to do all that? Damn, what can guys who have offensive potential do? Deke the entire team?

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Neither of them had NHL offense. If scouts selected them that high for their offense then they miscalculated.

I think it's a lazy argument to say that players who don't pan out offensively didn't have it in them to begin with. While it's true sometimes, it's unlikely to be always the case, especially with guys that showed flashes and tools (unlike guys like McIlrath or Biggs who were just bad picks to begin with).

Otherwise, why pay coaches millions if development has no impact on a player's offensive output? Why even bother with junior and AHL if playing 8 minutes a night with grinders from age 18 to 23 will get us the same result in the end?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I think it's a lazy argument to say that players who don't pan out offensively didn't have it in them to begin with. While it's true sometimes, it's unlikely to be always the case, especially with guys that showed flashes and tools (unlike guys like McIlrath or Biggs who were just bad picks to begin with).

Otherwise, why pay coaches millions if development has no impact on a player's offensive output? Why even bother with junior and AHL if playing 8 minutes a night with grinders from age 18 to 23 will get us the same result in the end?
Firstly I'm not saying it now. I said it when we got Eller. I never saw an offensive game in his toolset. So it's not an after the fact statement. The same way everyone last year was wetting his pants over KK's offense. Some of us didn't and still don't see it. Are you going to come back in six, seven years and accuse us of lazy arguments when he plateaus as a 2nd C?

Secondly, in response to your millions spent on development, Bouchard, our development coach, said in one of his pressers his job is not to turn every player into an NHLer - an impossible goal - his job is to get every player to reach his potential. That's a coach that knows what he is doing.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Nobody made any such assertion. Your inability to comprehend the point that is being made appears to be something a little more deliberate and pernicious than simple semantics.

Incorrectly paraphrasing people is the single most transparent way to announce an underlying, unsupported agenda.

It should be pointed out that there were years where many people said that Ryan O'Reilly was only a 2nd line center and wasn't good enough to center the 1st line of a Cup winner. These are the same people that spend the entirety of their existence moving goalposts, building strawmen and wasting the time of those who have honest intellectual pursuits.

If you are saying that we can't win with Danault you are wrong. Why it matters to you whether he has a fictitious title of 1st, 2nd or 3rd line center is the real question that you need to answer......in the meantime, while you are wrestling with that demon, allow the rest of us to carry on with more pressing matters.
I would like to be better in English , to be more fluent and have more vocabulary . Than i would be able to write my opinion the way you just did . Totally agree with you !

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The season will start and Habs will have Suzuki and Poehling in the line up. Andrew Shaw will soon be forgotten with the addition of clever offensive forwards such as those two mentioned. Even Jake Evans could do a decent job. We'll have some information about Shaw in his new team when he'll have another head concussion that will or might end his carreer. Not that I hope it will happen but it's a strong possibility. If Shaw doesn't play rude, what is his utility?

Let's move on with young, skilled and clever players,
Viva the Poehling-Kotka-Suzuki-Mete-Fleury !! :nod::thumbu:

Reactions: DangerDave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad