SUV Advice

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm currently looking and doing some research on getting a certified pre-owned SUV. I'm looking in the more mid-size SUV tier (Honda CRV, Nissan Rogue, Toyota Rav 4/Highlander, etc.) and was wondering if anyone could provide insight on any of these models. Looking for a 2015+ model that doesn't feel cheaply made and can be a dependable family car for 5+ years at least. Looking to trade in my 2014 Scion TC that has been nothing but problems for me.

Figured there has to be some mechanics, car salesman, etc. that post on here that could give me some deeper insight besides the Consumer Reports rankings. Thanks in advance!

Gardien2945

Feb 1, 2008
I don't work in the automotive industry, but I won't let that stop me from sharing my opinion.

Almost all of the models you mentioned are quite capable and reliable.

Before going any further, I would avoid committing to a Nissan Rogue. Nissan's reliability record is inconsistent, and I don't have as much faith in its products as in those offered by Honda or Toyota.

The Honda CR-V is a good choice, but I would limit myself to 2015 and 2016 models. The 2017 may offer a more potent engine option with its 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, but I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing recalls due to problems associated with that engine's direct-injection fuel system. Depending on how you intend to use your SUV, it's important to note that the 2015 and 2016 CR-Vs have just over 6 inches of ground clearance. The CR-V offers great fuel economy.

My first choice would be the Toyota RAV4, starting from the 2016 model year. The RAV4 may not be the exciting choice, but it's a very reliable and practical vehicle. It doesn't really have any standout qualities, but it does everything well. The RAV4 offers great cargo capacity and is unique in its ability to electronically lock the centre differential, which makes it a full-time AWD vehicle below 25 mp/h. It should not, however, be confused with an off-road vehicle, as the RAV4 only has 6.1 inches of ground clearance. If you choose to purchase a used model, be sure to have the transmission inspected (along with its programming) as a precaution.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
From the research I've done the CRV seems to be the most practical for it's class (compact SUV). I got a Mazda CX 5 recently and I think it's the best looking in it's class, nicest interior and has a more sporty feel. However it does lack in cargo space compared to the CRV, Rav4 and Tiguan. The Rav4 is expected to have some significant changes to the next generation so i would stay away from any from the last couple years as they seem boring and stale and outdated compared to the competition. But as mentioned above it is reliable and does have good utility space. It does lack ground clearance unless you get the adventure package.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
You gotta go with the Japanese because their cars last and any garage will fix them. Unfortunately most of their brands are pretty uncool and aren't fun to drive.

Mazda is a good compromise. They're pricks, the customer service sucks and their paint jobs are questionable, but they are fun cars that drive like butter and look good (but I'm not crazy on the CX-5 redesign).

Subaru is also all right, but their styling isn't for everyone. Kia, which is admittedly Korean, is a solid brand on the rise. They are also the antithesis of cool, but their styling is really not bad at all.

Toyota/Honda/Nissan - they aren't bad or anything, but it's like cutting off your nuts and completely giving up on life and feeling any sort of joy.

The new CRV actually has wood panels on the inside of the doors and it looks about as cheap as one might imagine. You have to see it in person - truly horrifying. Nissan Rogue was the worst driving experience of my life bar none. Toyota is... well, ubiquitous.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I'm a total idiot and would go for a Volvo xc90 because I think it's the best looking SUV of the decade. I deep down know it will be shit for reliability, but damn, it's so awesome and nice in every way.

Of your more dad-like reasonable options, I'd have to vote rav4/highlander. I've owned a couple Toyota's and have loved the brand. My parents have a '14 4Runner that's loaded to the gills, and it's super nice.

My wife and I both own Subaru wagons. She has a Forester, and I have a WRX. Any interest in their MY16/17 options? The fozzie's are pretty big these days. Don't know if you require extra seats or not. I love the Subaru's, and will probably always have some flavor of Subaru in my life moving forward. Definitely the best set of cars either of us have owned, despite all the baggage that comes with 'em (hippie, granola, dickhead, etc).

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
My wife has a 2010 Rav4. It handles like a school bus, but it has a lot of power even with the 4 cylinder. We've had it almost 9 years and 140,000 miles, the only repair so far was the alternator which we had rebuilt for $50. Maintenance items like brake pads, tires, battery, etc. but no actual breakdowns. Even the alternator didn't really fail, it was just making weird noises. Thing seems indestructible, it'll probably go another 10 years.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm currently looking and doing some research on getting a certified pre-owned SUV. I'm looking in the more mid-size SUV tier (Honda CRV, Nissan Rogue, Toyota Rav 4/Highlander, etc.) and was wondering if anyone could provide insight on any of these models. Looking for a 2015+ model that doesn't feel cheaply made and can be a dependable family car for 5+ years at least. Looking to trade in my 2014 Scion TC that has been nothing but problems for me.

Figured there has to be some mechanics, car salesman, etc. that post on here that could give me some deeper insight besides the Consumer Reports rankings. Thanks in advance!

What did you go with?

I’m driving a 2012 Dodge Journey sxt. At Least i think it’s a 2012. Anyway, 3.6 front drive and it’s been a tank. 135k and pushed 30mpg hauling Boston to Florida on a family vacation. I plan on taking it to Florida again in May. Outside of normal maintenance I’ve literally only replaced the thermostat which cost me around 12 bucks.

I could recommend the RAV4, of course, but the Dodge has been so damn dependable for me. Decent mpg, good power and a third row.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
What did you go with?

I’m driving a 2012 Dodge Journey sxt. At Least i think it’s a 2012. Anyway, 3.6 front drive and it’s been a tank. 135k and pushed 30mpg hauling Boston to Florida on a family vacation. I plan on taking it to Florida again in May. Outside of normal maintenance I’ve literally only replaced the thermostat which cost me around 12 bucks.

I could recommend the RAV4, of course, but the Dodge has been so damn dependable for me. Decent mpg, good power and a third row.
Ended up going with a Mazda CX-5. I test drove the Mazda, the Nissan Rogue and the Honda CRV and I thought the Mazda had the best handling of the three. Have had zero issues since I got the car and it’s been great for my wife and I to travel in. The back seats are a little tight if you have to put someone who has longer legs but it’s not awful.

The Rogue just seemed cheaply made inside (at least the ones I test drove) for the price they were asking and I noticed there were blind spots that I didn’t like, which I also read about online.

The CRV was the second choice but it was just so boring to me. Definitely seemed like a grandma/grandpa type car and I ended up just preferring the Mazda, especially going from a TC to a SUV. The gas mileage has been the same, if not better than my Scion too which is a major plus for a bigger vehicle

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Ended up going with a Mazda CX-5. I test drove the Mazda, the Nissan Rogue and the Honda CRV and I thought the Mazda had the best handling of the three. Have had zero issues since I got the car and it’s been great for my wife and I to travel in. The back seats are a little tight if you have to put someone who has longer legs but it’s not awful.

The Rogue just seemed cheaply made inside (at least the ones I test drove) for the price they were asking and I noticed there were blind spots that I didn’t like, which I also read about online.

The CRV was the second choice but it was just so boring to me. Definitely seemed like a grandma/grandpa type car and I ended up just preferring the Mazda, especially going from a TC to a SUV. The gas mileage has been the same, if not better than my Scion too which is a major plus for a bigger vehicle

Nice. Everyone i know that has driven a cx-5 says great things about it. Of all the small crossover/suv types i definitely think it looks the best, with the 2019 rav close behind. I think Mazda has done a great job in recent years becoming a major player in most all small car categories

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Some advice: install clear paint protection film over the foot step sill, at least on the driver's side. Many cars have plates to protect the area, because your foot constantly makes contact there as you get in and out of the car.

I believe CX-5s still have only a thin layer of paint there - much thinner than in other areas of the car - and it scratches very quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad