Sutter Philosophy - Don't Have To Be Great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
the thing I didn't like about benching Latendresse was that he didn't give him a second shot. He benched him the rest of the game, how can you expect the guy to be back in the tournament if every mistake he makes it turns out he'll get stuck on the bench the rest of the game.

FSU Seminoles said:
the thing I didn't like about benching Latendresse was that he didn't give him a second shot. He benched him the rest of the game, how can you expect the guy to be back in the tournament if every mistake he makes it turns out he'll get stuck on the bench the rest of the game.

He did get a couple more short shifts and didn't do anything with it. Look at Cogliano today, he was benched for most of the second but when he does get a shift in the third, he battles hard and makes something happen and so regains his spot in the rotation.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
I think Sutter is quite right. Of course you can read this kind of Yoda wisdom any way you wish ;) For me, he is saying that the players just have to try and do their assignments well and not be "great", show off their skill. I think that should help the players concentrate on the task at hand, take the game one shift at a time.

In short - :clap:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Doomsday Device said:
He did get a couple more short shifts and didn't do anything with it. Look at Cogliano today, he was benched for most of the second but when he does get a shift in the third, he battles hard and makes something happen and so regains his spot in the rotation.

they're totally different players. Cogliano skates at 100mph, against a poor Swiss defense it wasn't the end of the workd for him to get back. Latendresse has to play with good players. When he played with Bolland they had some good chances. If Latendresse plays with some forecheckers, he won't have any chance since the puck won't come back to him.

FSU Seminoles said:
they're totally different players. Cogliano skates at 100mph, against a poor Swiss defense it wasn't the end of the workd for him to get back. Latendresse has to play with good players. When he played with Bolland they had some good chances. If Latendresse plays with some forecheckers, he won't have any chance since the puck won't come back to him.

Comeau and Boyd aren't good forecheckers?

Phanuthier*

Is Brent Sutter a clone of Darryl or what?

The same style, system, coaching, reward/punishment system AND the way they like to play the media.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
What I don't like about the fact that they're benching Latendresse is that, even if he had played badly, players like Blunden and O'mara didn't play better and they still played their regular shift. And Pouliot, even if he played better then those three, was undisciplined and still plays on the pp...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
FSU Seminoles said:

In game 1 Lats was playing lazy as all hell and deserved the benching. In Game 2 he played physical and laid about 3 huge clean checks in the 3rd against the swiss. But offensivly he seems tentative to be creative for fear of turning the puck over.

You cant have players playing scared. Sure you dont want tons of turnovers but in the same sense you want your forwards to be creative. Pouliot, Latendresse and Boland were expected to lead the team offensivly and all 3 have played subpar because they arent being creative. Sutter is sucking the forwards dry. But hey who am I to critize right? :sarcasm:

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Just to clarify, Sutter wants his team to be "great" but believes the way to do that is make sure ever player plays "good." He believes that if every player on the team is "good" the team is "great and it's hard to argue with that logic. What he's really saying is that he would rather have all 20 guys going than have a handful of guys play lights out.

As for bernching guys, he's strictly equal opportunity. Anyone gets it...Latendresse, Cogliano and today, to start the game anyway, it will be Pouliot for the penalties in the third yesterday. But as hard as he is on the kids, the benching usually only lasts a period or so and then he gives the kid a chance to redeem himself. Latendresse didn't take advantage of the redemption opportunity in Game 1, Cogliano did take advantage of it in Game 2. We'll see how Pouliot responds today.

espo*

BobMckenzie said:
Just to clarify, Sutter wants his team to be "great" but believes the way to do that is make sure ever player plays "good." He believes that if every player on the team is "good" the team is "great and it's hard to argue with that logic. What he's really saying is that he would rather have all 20 guys going than have a handful of guys play lights out.

As for bernching guys, he's strictly equal opportunity. Anyone gets it...Latendresse, Cogliano and today, to start the game anyway, it will be Pouliot for the penalties in the third yesterday. But as hard as he is on the kids, the benching usually only lasts a period or so and then he gives the kid a chance to redeem himself. Latendresse didn't take advantage of the redemption opportunity in Game 1, Cogliano did take advantage of it in Game 2. We'll see how Pouliot responds today.
I wonder if Pokulok will take advantage of his chance then,that is,if he ever get's one.

Not that i'm questioning Sutter hard,just that the kid could use a shift or two.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
cyclops said:
I wonder if Pokulok will take advantage of his chance then,that is,if he ever get's one.

Not that i'm questioning Sutter hard,just that the kid could use a shift or two.

I feel bad for the kid. 0 shifts in 2 games and the first game was 5-1...he could have at least thrown him out there for a shift.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
cyclops said:

I hope he gets a couple of shifts against Norway. It must suck for him that he hasn't got a shift yet. However, in both exhibition games he played very poorly.

espo*

yeah canucksfan and laprise,i feel bad for him too.I don't want the kid to come to this tourney and not even get to play a little bit.You would think Sutter could throw him out against Norway tonight.Hopefully he will,i want all our guys to have a good experience here.I know he can't play regular but it would be nice if he could play a little so he'd have some nice memories here.

skerbud

Feb 28, 2005
What I don't like about the fact that they're benching Latendresse is that, even if he had played badly, players like Blunden and O'mara didn't play better and they still played their regular shift. And Pouliot, even if he played better then those three, was undisciplined and still plays on the pp...

I agree Blunden, Pyatt and Pouliot have not been bright shining stars and they still maintain their regular shifts. Its funny that these guys from the ohl are getting the shifts and the guys from the Q are having to fight for their ice time. Letang got limited ice time in the first game now Latendresse.. and the team went with goalies from the West maybe it is time that Quebec put in their own team. :sarcasm:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
LaLaLaprise said:
In game 1 Lats was playing lazy as all hell and deserved the benching. In Game 2 he played physical and laid about 3 huge clean checks in the 3rd against the swiss. But offensivly he seems tentative to be creative for fear of turning the puck over.

You cant have players playing scared. Sure you dont want tons of turnovers but in the same sense you want your forwards to be creative. Pouliot, Latendresse and Boland were expected to lead the team offensivly and all 3 have played subpar because they arent being creative. Sutter is sucking the forwards dry. But hey who am I to critize right? :sarcasm:
Laprise, this is what i've been feeling and wondering if anyone else felt the same. Sutter may have pushed the right buttons last year with an ultra talented team but I fear he is over doing it here. I can see a benching for multiple infractions in a short span or something particulary grevious but the benching of Cogliano seemed harsh. Pro Style coaching is what Pierre called it but its not. Not many pro's get that short a leash from the coach. Its World Junior micro management which can be good but not if you are scaring half your team. I do like Sutter though, I like discipline, like the tactics, systems etc but I am not enamoured with some over coaching.
I really wonder what the hell happened with Pokoluk. Was there some sort of powerplay between coaches and management? Its not often Canada carry a player they feel they just cannot play under most any circumstances.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Phanuthier said:
Is Brent Sutter a clone of Darryl or what?

The same style, system, coaching, reward/punishment system AND the way they like to play the media.

The problem is: it doesn't (even rarely) translate into winning cups or medals. Last year, you could have put Bob Berry behind the canadian bench and STILL win. Bergeron was the clear leader in the locker room, it showed.

As a coach, you have to push the right buttons at the right time. Having to punish in a short tournament is not the right formula. It doesn't work. Didn't work when Viktor did it in 1980, and still isn't working in 2006 with Sutter. If you approach every player the same way, in a short tourney, you get different results. Sutter should have worked differently with Latendresse or Cogliano. First off, Guillaume has the best scoring hands of the club. Give him a real centerman. Not a plucker. You need nifty hands to feed a power forward. Not a tank.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
I think the philosophy is working perfectly. Man for man, that American team is much more talented than Canada, yet they beat them.

Phanuthier*

deandebean said:
Didn't work when Viktor did it in 1980, and still isn't working in 2006 with Sutter.
It isn't working with Sutter?

Last time I checked, he tied a Team Canada history winning streak and is undefeated 10-0 in the WJC.

Oh, and if its so easy to coach Team Canada to a gold, why did Canda have a 7 year gold-medal drought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad