WJC...

1. Dion Phaneuf
2. Ryan Suter
3. Braydon Coburn

NHL... IMO...

1. Dion Phaneuf
2. Ryan Suter
3. Braydon Coburn

Yep, although I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Suter ends up better than Phaneuf. One thing is sure in my mind, though - Atlanta screwed up big.

leafaholix*

The main reason Phaneuf is rated ahead of Suter is because he plays a more physical game... and his offensive abililty isn't as far behind Suter's as most think.

And Coburn is still a great prospect... he played great in the WJC.

Hitman*

Suter showed some great composure and Phaneuf was a rock, easily Canada's top defenseman. Can't go wrong with either. Coburn hasn't impressed me at all. His best asset is his skating and size, he didn't use either. I agree, Atlanta got the worst of the three.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
For the future, it's tough to say. Coburn doesn't have the mean streak that Phaneuf and Suter do, but he is much bigger and has to fill out a lot more before he can do too much damage on checks. Phaneuf and Suter are stockier builds. While they're not small frames, they don't have to fill out that much more at all before making the NHL and being a physical presence. Coburn could still add 15-20lbs more by the looks of it.

Phaneuf and Suter are more NHL-ready and more polished at this point. You can tell from interviews that both have a goal, and both are ready to drive through anyone to get to it. Coburn is much more soft spoken from what I've seen, and combined with his play on the ice, he doesn't seem to have that strength and preparedness that the former two defensemen do.

Since he's more of a raw talent, with a larger frame and wide skating style, I wouldn't count him out of being the more effective NHLer in the long-term. In the shorter-term though, there's little doubt in my mind that Suter and Phaneuf will make a name for themselves before Coburn.

PEli*

go pierre hedin said:
WJC...

1. Dion Phaneuf
2. Ryan Suter
3. Braydon Coburn

NHL... IMO...

1. Dion Phaneuf
2. Ryan Suter
3. Braydon Coburn

I agree. I'm a big fan of dmen that can obliterate a guy for not having his head up so that plays into my opinion, big time. Still, Phaneuf and Suter were my two favorite dmen going in to the tourney and still are.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
go pierre hedin said:
WJC...

1. Dion Phaneuf
2. Ryan Suter
3. Braydon Coburn

NHL... IMO...

1. Dion Phaneuf
2. Ryan Suter
3. Braydon Coburn

I would agree, although I think Suter's NHL potential is probably the greatest of the three. IMO he'll end up being an overall better player, although not nearly as intimidating as Phaneuf. That guy's a freak!

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
I would agree, although I think Suter's NHL potential is probably the greatest of the three. IMO he'll end up being an overall better player, although not nearly as intimidating as Phaneuf. That guy's a freak!
Offensively, Suter's the better of the three. But Phaneuf is also an offensive threat. Plus, when you add the physical play... Phaneuf's the better of the three.

And when you think of the comparison's...

Ryan Suter: Gary Suter
Dion Phaneuf: Scott Stevens

They're both got crazy good potential.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
During the Tournament Phaneuf was the best out there, followed by Suter and then Coburn.

Despite this, as NHL potential I would take Suter over Phaneuf, and then Coburn.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
i, like most people, was definitely impressed with phaneuf and suter...and less impressed with coburn, but that's how i've felt since the draft. i'm going to disagree with everyone a bit, though...

now:
1.phaneuf
2. suter
3. coburn

FUTURE:
1. suter
2. phaneuf
3. coburn

i think the scott stevens comparison for phaneuf is perfect, but i'm not sure the gary suter comparison is as good for ryan suter. i'm not sure exactly WHO i'd compare ryan to, but i think stylistically lidstrom is closer than gary suter. it's just good to know that a lot of teams that haven't been all that great in years past have such bright futures. i think calgary and nashville are, in about 3-4 years time, going to have the most feared bluelines in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad