[Suspension] Keith Aulie - 2 games

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Nobody does it better.

Head down, suicide pass, tall checker, Matt Stajan.

Weak suspension. Elliotte and Panger said it shouldn't be a suspension, Flames fans coming to the Oiler board stating it shouldn't be a suspension. This league man. :shakehead

That must be the only time soft-as-butter Gilbert knocked someone out.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Oh for sure. I mean players are totally going to jump all over getting their heads just hammered, possibly impacting their post playing lives to get someone suspended and get a 5 minute powerplay.

These hits used to be celebrated and then we learned more about the brain.

Really? Because Stajan seems to think it's a great idea. If Stajan got hurt on this play, it's 100% his fault. It's not like he's a foot from the boards with his back turned. He's skating straight up the middle of the ice with his head down. What do you expect Aulie to do? Not hit him, and let Stajan go in untouched? Stajan is 100% open to being hit, and Aulie delivered a great hit. If Stajan can't figure out how to play the game without skating around head first, maybe he should find a new profession. The only thing more ridiculous than the suspension are the people supporting it

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Really? Because Stajan seems to think it's a great idea. If Stajan got hurt on this play, it's 100% his fault. It's not like he's a foot from the boards with his back turned. He's skating straight up the middle of the ice with his head down. What do you expect Aulie to do? Not hit him, and let Stajan go in untouched? Stajan is 100% open to being hit, and Aulie delivered a great hit. If Stajan can't figure out how to play the game without skating around head first, maybe he should find a new profession. The only thing more ridiculous than the suspension are the people supporting it

This is a slight exaggeration. Stajan wasn't skating up the centre of the ice with his head down. He was skating up the centre of the ice, and a pass was delivered toward his skates, causing him to look down to try to locate and corral it.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
This is a slight exaggeration. Stajan wasn't skating up the centre of the ice with his head down. He was skating up the centre of the ice, and a pass was delivered toward his skates, causing him to look down to try to locate and corral it.

I fail to see a difference

North

Jun 25, 2009
Good grief, I was almost certain no suspension would happen. Even the Sportsnet panel seemed to think 5 and a game was enough.

Quintal has no clue what he is doing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Aulie went out of his way to lower his check. What is he supposed to do there? Let Stajan blow by him? Stajan did an awesome job of making himself impossible to be hit anywhere but the head. Even then, Aulie hit him in the chest as well to reduce the whiplash effect, and that would have been a concussion.

If Aulie were a dirty player Stajan would be on the IR now and for a long time.

theranfordflop

Jul 2, 2003
Vancouver
So Jannik Hansen was just fined $5,000 for a blindside check to the head on Tommy Wingels. Clear blindside hit, extended his arm to lunge at Wingels, flinging his body out towards him.

No suspension.

That's just not right. Oilers need to appeal.

nik-

Sep 13, 2004

Victim blaming is pretty common here I know, but it's pretty easy. Don't hit other players in the head. Should Stajan skate with his head down? Obviously not, but regardless of how you feel about it, the NHL has clearly stated the onus is on the hitter. So ... it's not 100% Stajan's fault, sorry.

If it was an Oilers player that got hit in this manner, you'd be fine with the suspension. Right now you'll say you wouldn't because it's easy for you to say that, but you would.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
If the NHL keeps suspending plays like this I'm thinking the rhinoceros style zone entry will become more popular.

Get some speed, stick your head out, and no one is allowed to touch you.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With Stajan hunched over like that I'm not sure what Aulie is supposed to do to avoid the head, short of not throwing a body check at all.
I'm not saying I agree with how the rules have changed over the past few years, but looking at the rules how they are written now it is clearly an illegal hit. In this situation the NHL wants no hit at all is my guess, I personally an not upset by the hit as I grew up admiring big open ice hits. But all I am saying it the letter of the rule dictates that this is illegal and suspendable.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I don't like the victim blaming, yeah Stajan was in brutal positioning for the hit and the hit was certainly very early. But a 2 game suspension for interference is an absolute joke.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't like the victim blaming, yeah Stajan was in brutal positioning for the hit and the hit was certainly very early. But a 2 game suspension for interference is an absolute joke.
That's more a discussion about the way the rules are now than this particular hit. No one should be surprised that a hit to the head resulted in a suspension by now. Based on how the rules are written this is an illegal hit and is suspendable.

But I agree, I also do not like the extreme these new headshot rules have gone to. But you might as well get used to it, because it's only a matter of time before they ban all contact to the head.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
That's more a discussion about the way the rules are now than this particular hit. No one should be surprised that a hit to the head resulted in a suspension by now. Based on how the rules are written this is an illegal hit and is suspendable.

But I agree, I also do not like the extreme these new headshot rules have gone to. But you might as well get used to it, because it's only a matter of time before they ban all contact to the head.

I don't agree with the bolded, if they want something like this to be against the rules, then these sentences need to be taken out of the rulebook

"whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered"

Looking at it, how would the head contact be avoidable unless he doesn't hit him at all? And to the people saying well then don't hit him at all.... it's hockey, take a blind open ice suicide pass like that, you're going to get wrecked.

This suspension tells me any contact to the head is no longer okay. Fine. Then say so. Occasionally over enforcing it and ignoring it other times is bush league. Asking for consistency in the DoPS is a dream, we all know that, but the way that this somehow got 2 games is still a joke. It's a borderline,late hit at worst.

disrespectful

Dec 13, 2010
EUSSR
Good, clean hit. Shouldn't have been a penalty. Ridicolous suspesion.

Stajan's known for skating head first into opponents' shoulders. DPOS should suspend him for his own safety.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't agree with the bolded, if they want something like this to be against the rules, then these sentences need to be taken out of the rulebook

Looking at it, how would the head contact be avoidable unless he doesn't hit him at all? And to the people saying well then don't hit him at all.... it's hockey, take a blind open ice suicide pass like that, you're going to get wrecked.

This suspension tells me any contact to the head is no longer okay. Fine. Then say so. Occasionally over enforcing it and ignoring it other times is bush league. Asking for consistency in the DoPS is a dream, we all know that, but the way that this somehow got 2 games is still a joke. It's a borderline,late hit at worst.
Read your own quote, can be considered, not will be considered. The wording makes any hit where the initial point of contact is the head suspendable.

I am however shocked this got 2 games because there was no injury and I do not recall Aulie being a repeat offender, but I may have missed something in the past.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
If the NHL keeps suspending plays like this I'm thinking the rhinoceros style zone entry will become more popular.

Get some speed, stick your head out, and no one is allowed to touch you.
Yep. There's pretty much no downside. And don't try to talk to me about head injuries as the downside. Top athletes will destroy themselves with performance enhancing drugs if they think that can get away with it.

Calgarybrutalist

Apr 2, 2014
I cant believe this got a suspension. About a month ago Ovechkin took a run at Glencross and popped him right in the head. Nothing. I don't understand the rules.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
5+Game should have been enough here, honestly thought it could have even just been 2mins.
Aulie really didn't do much to punish on the hit stayed tucked in no arm or elbow no steps or jump, penalty was deserved as he got the head first, but after that I don't see why the league is going after this over other hits this season.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Victim blaming is pretty common here I know, but it's pretty easy. Don't hit other players in the head. Should Stajan skate with his head down? Obviously not, but regardless of how you feel about it, the NHL has clearly stated the onus is on the hitter. So ... it's not 100% Stajan's fault, sorry.

If it was an Oilers player that got hit in this manner, you'd be fine with the suspension. Right now you'll say you wouldn't because it's easy for you to say that, but you would.

Victim blaming? :laugh: it was Stajan's fault plain and simple. That's not victim blaming, it's just the truth. And I'll ask again, what do you expect Aulie to do there? Because he did everything in his power to deliver a legal check. I wouldn't be happy an Oiler got obliterated skating with his head down, but why would I want someone suspended for a clean hit? Most of the Flames fanbase agrees as well. It's clear you don't know the rules set out by the DoPS. Look at their twitter account even

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Victim blaming? :laugh: it was Stajan's fault plain and simple. That's not victim blaming, it's just the truth. And I'll ask again, what do you expect Aulie to do there? Because he did everything in his power to deliver a legal check.

Except for targeting his front shoulder instead of avoiding it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't think Aulie should have been suspended for that. Suicide pass that Stajan had no chance for. Aulie should have just received a penalty for interference/charging, that's it. I think the NHL took this one a little too harsh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad