[Suspension] Keith Aulie - 2 games

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
is principle point of contact not the same as initial point of contact? because Aulie clearly hits the head first before the chest

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Scott Stevens would be suspended 60 games a season in today's game. It's sad that they're trying to turn the NHL into a Euro league.

Tyler Biggs*

I'm all about suspending hockey players for dirty hits! However, when professional hockey players get caught with their head down taking a suicide pass in the NHL, their gonna get hit. Can't blame a defenseman for a hit like this, made the pinch, and took his man. Didn't even look like he followed through. Scott Stevens made a career out of hits like this. The NHL needs to revise their incidental head contact rules. Not even worthy of a 5 min penalty in my opinion

theranfordflop

Jul 2, 2003
Vancouver
This is really disgraceful. The refs got it wrong in the game, the league gets it completely wrong in the aftermath. If I'm the Oilers I go to the press and tear a strip off the NHL, take the fine or whatever they want to dole out.

This is the DEFINITION of a textbook clean open ice hit. People saying it was to the head have never played hockey. The shoulder to the chest the whole way. He's crouched way down, arm tucked in to his body. Direct, straight on contact. Feet planted firmly to the ice.

Brodie tossed a suicide pass, and Stajan stood there staring at his feet like a mook. On top of that, he doesn't tie up his chin strap properly.

Flames players being idiots, and the Oilers get the punishment for a perfect textbook hockey play.

In the meantime, guys like Garbutt who actually go out and intentionally hurt people, get the same treatment as a legit clean check.

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
This is really disgraceful. The refs got it wrong in the game, the league gets it completely wrong in the aftermath. If I'm the Oilers I go to the press and tear a strip off the NHL, take the fine or whatever they want to dole out.

This is the DEFINITION of a textbook clean open ice hit. People saying it was to the head have never played hockey. The shoulder to the chest the whole way. He's crouched way down, arm tucked in to his body. Direct, straight on contact. Feet planted firmly to the ice.

Brodie tossed a suicide pass, and Stajan stood there staring at his feet like a mook. On top of that, he doesn't tie up his chin strap properly.

Flames players being idiots, and the Oilers get the punishment for a perfect textbook hockey play.

In the meantime, guys like Garbutt who actually go out and intentionally hurt people, get the same treatment as a legit clean check.

Preach!

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
staj_zps5ebb0659.png

just grazing right? :laugh:

dear lord man you need to open your eyes. he clearly takes shoulder to the chin/cheek first and much more than a graze

With Stajan hunched over like that I'm not sure what Aulie is supposed to do to avoid the head, short of not throwing a body check at all.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
With Stajan hunched over like that I'm not sure what Aulie is supposed to do to avoid the head, short of not throwing a body check at all.

Exactly the way I see it too.

It's direct contact to the head, but Aulies body position is textbook. He gets low, he doesn't drive upwards or leave his feet. Head contact happens for 3 reasons.

-Stajan is hunched over
-Stajan is looking at his feet
-Aulie is a taller player.

Not malicious, not dirty, no injury on the play.

5 and the game was more than enough.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Exactly the way I see it too.

It's direct contact to the head, but Aulies body position is textbook. He gets low, he doesn't drive upwards or leave his feet. Head contact happens for 3 reasons.

-Stajan is hunched over
-Stajan is looking at his feet
-Aulie is a taller player.

Not malicious, not dirty, no injury on the play.

5 and the game was more than enough.
Aulie couldn't do much. If Stajan had his head up it wouldn't of even been a 5 minute penalty. Maybe not even 2. He flopped stood up and went to fight him yet it was bad enough for a guy to miss 3 games. What a joke

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Aulie couldn't do much. If Stajan had his head up it wouldn't of even been a 5 minute penalty. Maybe not even 2. He flopped stood up and went to fight him yet it was bad enough for a guy to miss 3 games. What a joke

Yup.

I love Matt Stajan. My opinion on this hit has nothing to do with the teams involved. Hell, the guy getting suspended plays for my teams biggest rival.

But as a fan of the game, this suspension really annoys me.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think Aulie could've given Stajan a fair shake in getting the puck and didn't have to fly by like that. Other than that, Aulie is just big and Stajan had his head down.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I think Aulie could've given Stajan a fair shake in getting the puck and didn't have to fly by like that. Other than that, Aulie is just big and Stajan had his head down.

I can understand if the leagues view on it is because of the timing of the hit, being so early Stajan doesn't have much chance to look back up. But even then 2 games seems excessive.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The suspension is probably for one of two things:

1) Not holding up when Stajan didn't actually get the puck and lighting him up anyway.

2) Taking an angle to avoid hitting the shoulder and go through the head instead. This would be consistent with a lot of other suspensions where the league wants players to check the shoulder instead of clipping the head.

Haven't watched the NHL's suspension video yet. What did they say?

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Haven't watched the NHL's suspension video yet. What did they say?

Don't think they've done one yet. If they base their argument on the timing of the hit I can understand that. 2 games is excessive, but it would make sense.

nik-

Sep 13, 2004

yes ... exactly. They want players not to hit other players who are in vulnerable positions which can result in a hit that can be detrimental to their well being after retirement.

It's not about whether Stajan should have his head up (he should) it's putting the onus on the hitter NOT to hit someone like that.

This isn't new, this has been the rule for years now. I don't understand why people are still trodding out excuses that are no longer valid. It's not like this was changed this offseason.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
yes ... exactly. They want players not to hit other players who are in vulnerable positions which can result in a hit that can be detrimental to their well being after retirement.

It's not about whether Stajan should have his head up (he should) it's putting the onus on the hitter NOT to hit someone like that.

This isn't new, this has been the rule for years now. I don't understand why people are still trodding out excuses that are no longer valid. It's not like this was changed this offseason.

Because the ruling is vague on the matter. If they want no head contact, period, then take out the part in the rule about circumstances and player position.

Aceonfire*

The DPS is a joke.

Brodie tosses him a suicide pass, Stajan lowers his head at the worst possible time leaving Aulie no chance to let up. The guy is a monster he was already bent low enough that his shoulder was under Stajan's chin. It looked worse because Stajan had a loose chin strap.

I am no fan of Aulie but what a stupid suspension considering he was thrown out so that basically makes it 3 games with no injury on the play or clear intent to injure.

The fact that the scrum was broken up made it worse also..

The NHL should just hand out pillows before games so the players can toss them at each other when angry.. That is apparently where this is headed.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
You know how they teach little kids in hockey to always keep your head up so you don't get hurt? Well the NHL is in the process of unteaching that to it's players now. Skate with your head down, if you get cranked don't worry the other guy is at fault. Terrible call to suspend the guy. Stajan keeps his head up there's no penalties at all. These hits used to be celebrated now we suspend them. Might as well go the route of womens hockey and take hitting out of the game.

nik-

Sep 13, 2004
You know how they teach little kids in hockey to always keep your head up so you don't get hurt? Well the NHL is in the process of unteaching that to it's players now. Skate with your head down, if you get cranked don't worry the other guy is at fault. Terrible call to suspend the guy. Stajan keeps his head up there's no penalties at all. These hits used to be celebrated now we suspend them. Might as well go the route of womens hockey and take hitting out of the game.

Oh for sure. I mean players are totally going to jump all over getting their heads just hammered, possibly impacting their post playing lives to get someone suspended and get a 5 minute powerplay.

These hits used to be celebrated and then we learned more about the brain.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
I'm a Flames fan, and I'm baffled at how this was a suspension. After the NHL let the Despres hit on Smid go, which was more of a direct targeted hit on Smid's face than this hit, you would figure that this wouldn't garner a suspension either.

Consistency with the wheel of justice is non existent. Should've been a 5 + game for interference/hit to the head, but nothing more.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
There has to be some onus on the player not to have his head down and his body hunched over like that. 5 and a game was more than enough in my (biased) opinion

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Matt Stajan getting blasted again. Is there a bigger ragdoll in the league?

Nobody does it better.

Head down, suicide pass, tall checker, Matt Stajan.

Weak suspension. Elliotte and Panger said it shouldn't be a suspension, Flames fans coming to the Oiler board stating it shouldn't be a suspension. This league man. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->