Suspended NHL player's KHL rights aquired (MOU breakup attempt?)

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Timeline of events:

29 Sept 13
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=71701679&postcount=32
Jets suspend Ivan Telegin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Gary Lawless, he's refusing to report to the AHL, so likely heading back to Russia.
(Gary Lawless of the Wpg Free Press)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=71703949&postcount=13
Wiebe tweet

#NHLJets announce that Ivan Telegin's failure to report to St. John's was for "personal reasons." Won't have much else to say on matter
(Ken Wiebe of the Wpg Sun)

Starting around 1 Oct 13 there was been speculation that his motive is to play in the KHL. Currently he is in year 2 of his 3 year ELC.

Now today:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=72276099&postcount=95
A new wrinkle:

Quote:
- Via twitter: As per Russian reporter Igor Eronka: #CSKA of #KHL just acquired rights for #Caps pending RFA D Dmitry Orlov and #Jets F Ivan Telegin who refused to report to St.John's IceCaps.

There was some speculation on twitter I saw that this move was driven by one of his agents in order to play in the K. Mark Gandler is his North American agent, he has declined comment, I did a quick search but couldn't find a reference to him having an agent in Russia.

From the BoH standpoint, could this be the thin edge of a wedge to try and break the MoU between the leagues regarding signing each others players? It makes some sense, try and break the contract of some marginal players that may only ever see a cup of coffee in the NHL rather than go after the big guns first.

IMO the Jets and the NHL will have to fight any moves like this, toll the contract and force Telegin's hand into coming back to play out his deal. The NHL IMO doesn't want to end up opening an interleague bidding war for talent.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
FYI, Gandler likely represents him in Russia also, like he does with many of his other clients.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Timeline of events:

29 Sept 13
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=71701679&postcount=32

(Gary Lawless of the Wpg Free Press)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=71703949&postcount=13

(Ken Wiebe of the Wpg Sun)

Starting around 1 Oct 13 there was been speculation that his motive is to play in the KHL. Currently he is in year 2 of his 3 year ELC.

Now today:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=72276099&postcount=95

There was some speculation on twitter I saw that this move was driven by one of his agents in order to play in the K. Mark Gandler is his North American agent, he has declined comment, I did a quick search but couldn't find a reference to him having an agent in Russia.

From the BoH standpoint, could this be the thin edge of a wedge to try and break the MoU between the leagues regarding signing each others players? It makes some sense, try and break the contract of some marginal players that may only ever see a cup of coffee in the NHL rather than go after the big guns first.

IMO the Jets and the NHL will have to fight any moves like this, toll the contract and force Telegin's hand into coming back to play out his deal. The NHL IMO doesn't want to end up opening an interleague bidding war for talent.

Didn't the NHL just finish (or are still the process) of trying to work with the KHL to deal with this sort of issue on a legal basis? The idea that agents might be doing this (and the KHL is quiet on the matter?) really makes me wonder how long before things get ugly (again-or did it ever stop?)

Part of this issue I think is that even if the NHL wanted to seriously put a stop to this, they could over time work out a rule that says "Fine, you want to go play in the KHL, you're barred from playing in the NHL for x amount of years" And none of this "owners would have to agree to let you back" stuff- no, you do the time. But the NHL works for the owners, and would bend their own rules to bring a player back, particularly one of high talent. (Just like I think Kovy will be allowed back with open arms within two years -but that debate is already been done ;) )

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Didn't the NHL just finish (or are still the process) of trying to work with the KHL to deal with this sort of issue on a legal basis? The idea that agents might be doing this (and the KHL is quiet on the matter?) really makes me wonder how long before things get ugly (again-or did it ever stop?)

Part of this issue I think is that even if the NHL wanted to seriously put a stop to this, they could over time work out a rule that says "Fine, you want to go play in the KHL, you're barred from playing in the NHL for x amount of years" And none of this "owners would have to agree to let you back" stuff- no, you do the time. But the NHL works for the owners, and would bend their own rules to bring a player back, particularly one of high talent. (Just like I think Kovy will be allowed back with open arms within two years -but that debate is already been done ;) )

I could see agents trying to drive this wedge, the ability to shop a player mid-contract to another league could lead to a whole lot more commission coming in. As for the K, I'm sure at this point they'd love to be able to poach players. They're now an established entity and have ownership that can afford to drop the coin required to buy top talent and treat them right.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

According to the CBA an ELC contract is automatically tolled if a player refuses to play.
CBA 9.1(d)(iii) In the event a Player ceases to render his playing services called for under his SPC (except as a result of injury, illness or disability) during such period that he is in the Entry Level System, then during such non-playing period, the Player's number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period equal to the remaining unfulfilled portion of his SPC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad