TV: Survivor: Winners at War - Season Discussion Thread

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Just watched episode 3, was that a top 5 tribal ever?

tenor.gif

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

I still can't believe how much harder these challenges are. Same episode, basically a 6-person last man standing wrestling match just for reward! 6 people just smashing the hell out of each other., some matches lasting 30 minutes.....for just coffee!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I still can't believe how much harder these challenges are. Same episode, basically a 6-person last man standing wrestling match just for reward! 6 people just smashing the hell out of each other., some matches lasting 30 minutes.....for just coffee!

I know that in Australian Survivor they are given more food which helps but still the challenges are far more brutal. After the wrestling challenge you could see several of the people who wrestled multiple times with all kinds of burns and scrapes on their skin from rolling around all over the material. Locky's arms in particular were noticeable skinned all over. It does make me think that when it comes to reward challenges they'd be better off in the long run just throwing it sometimes.

Also regarding episode three, I'm thinking that that was in many ways a more impressive performance than what Tony did in his big season 40 episode. It may not prove as critical in terms of impacting the final result but in terms of completing a variety of objectives both strategic and personal David was flawless.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He's as handsome as anyone who has played, very strong, hilarious, understands the game perfectly and smart. Boston Rob/Tony/Fishback/Tyson/Paverti all in 1.

I mean....

26608986-8169835-image-a-32_1585612581159.jpg

He has a green card since he's a model and lives in NYC, I cannot see ANY reason he would not be on the next possible cast of US Survivor. He's the best player I've seen. He might get voted out next because he is such a huge player, I would think lasting less than 40 days would be much easier than 50, maybe he would have a better chance here.

Since I binged the 4 seasons right before All-Star, this is so great because it's fresh. All these players had so many confessionals in their first seasons, some super entertaining players are not going to be shown much. But so far, the 4 voted out aren't huge personalities, all the physical and social threats are still left. 19 more to vote out, heh.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
They took the 7 hour final challenge from the finale the previous year and just threw it in with 11 players left. Brutal

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I do like Australia better, but every season has 4-5 episodes where things drag. Some are early, some middle or late. But that is a drawback. You get to know the players much more obviously, and there's nothing they can do about the length of the show. That's on the network, so you can only do so much when you are required to have that many episodes.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I hope we see an Australian Survivor vs U.S survivor. It would most likely have to be on the Australian show but it would be so interesting

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Once I finish Australia All-Stars......I tackle South Africa.

Australia All Stars was a top 5 season easily. I have tweeted back and forth with one of the RHAP podcasters about South Africa and she said skip the early ones and start with Season 6. The first few episodes were a little slow, but they are down to 8 now and it's a GREAT group that are left. The challenges aren't as testing as Australia or the US really, but there are LARGE personalities in this one.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
There is currently a lot of discussion of various social media platforms as to whether former survivor, and possible all time challenge beast Joe Anglin has lost his mind, and/or if he has or hadn’t joined a cult. A number of other former survivors are chiming in as well.

I don’t know enough details about the group he’s involved himself with to have an opinion, but if you look at few of his more recent Instagram posts, he’s definitely into some trippy shit right now.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Lost his f***ing mind

EbFDBjxWoAEoM7y
After I posted, I looked at some of the Twitter comment threads related to this and he also seems to have angered many people with recent comments relating to white privilege, in which Wardog, Richard Hatch, Wendall and others have called him out for.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
After I posted, I looked at some of the Twitter comment threads related to this and he also seems to have angered many people with recent comments relating to white privilege, in which Wardog, Richard Hatch, Wendall and others have called him out for.

Reactions: koyvoo

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
South Africa Philippines was straight

NecessaryAgedHammerkop-size_restricted.gif

Absolutely amazing.

South Africa Island of Secrets was not as good as Philippines. It was totally fascinating to watch though, there was a dynamic amongst a group that is rather unlike any other I had seen.

I will say the production company that does South Africa is the best of the countries. The guy that was the series director of the last 2 seasons was actually a Survivor superfan who tried to get on the first 3 seasons of the show and was rejected. He then got work on a soap opera behind the scenes, (along with the actor who is the host of Survivor SA now) went on to work behind the scenes as on SA Survivor in 2014 as someone who sets up the challenges. The show went off the air, but he and his husband (who he met the year Survivor started and bonded over the show and works in TV) got the rights to the show, started a production company and so you have 2 massive superfans running the show, not TV people, but Survivor people. The actual production and the game setup in SA is better than AU and better than the US.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Just heard a podcast with the host of SA Survivor, it was really informative. He was also a superfan who wanted to be on the show even though he was a professional actor. He was rejected as a competitor, but by the time it came back on air in 2018, he was well-known enough as an actor and host of shows that they asked him to host. So another superfan running the show.

He had some insight that I didn't know about tribals. They apparently have to shoot the snuffing of the torch and walk off the set 2-3 times to get the shots they want. So the poor person who was voted out or blindsided has do that multiple times and THEN come back for still photographs of the flame being snuffed out. He said by the time they are done, the voted out person is really wrung out. So after a few hours of reliving your voting out, the host gives the person some chocolate and gives them a big hug. He said over half the players absolutely lose it then. It's both realizing the game is over AND it's the first genuine hug they've received, because you always question everything in the game. So it's the first real emotion from another person they've had in however many days. He's a great host.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Finally have some down time so a few thoughts:

1) The season was easily one of the best seasons that I can remember recently.
2) Tony IMO is now the current greatest Survivor player in history.
3) Ben is easily one of the dumbest players in history. I still don't understand his reasoning to toss the game away and tell Sarah to vote him out. He wasn't going to be voted out that round and he basically threw away a chance for 2 million dollars. And even if he didn't win he still gets more money the longer he stays in the game so i'm not sure what the hell he was thinking.
4) LoL at Sandra the "Survivor Queen" being the only one to quit the game.
5) I see a lot of people giving Michelle credit for her season but I thought she was terrible and people just remember the last few eps. She was being dragged around and told what to do by a dude who dumped in her in real life and treated her like shit on national TV during the show. Really? Was she that desperate for him still? Move on girl, you are better than that.
6) Sarah's speech at tribal about treating women equal was the most cringe-worthy thing of the season. Yea she came out after the show and said it was fake to get votes from the jury but still brutal. Not quite as bad as the race speech a few seasons ago over the 19 year old calling someones buff a do-rag though.
7). Fire Tokens was a nice idea but I don't think it worked that well.
8). EOE was done better this time around, maybe because we had bigger connections to the cast though. Should end though at the merge or shortly after the merge, maybe bring 2 back at once and end it. Wait a few seasons to bring it back.
9. Going to be a long time till the next season, normally we get the new seasons anywhere from 3-4 months after the last one ended...could be 8-10 months away.

That's all i got.

This season was about more than the prize. Remember, all the players got paid for their time there.

There was a lot of personal story going on.

Ben didn’t have a chance of winning. So he wrapped up his Survivor Career in the way he wanted.

Same thing with Sandra. She’s the queen. Got slayed, and the Queen isn’t going to live on extinction.

I ain’t going to say it was scripted, but it was fairly obvious that some of the “main” players and production had ideas of how people would be “written off”.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
If they were ever going to go into a break, that was definitely the season to do it on. If this break came after Season 39 instead of 40 I wonder if some people may have been lukewarm coming back to the show.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Just heard a podcast with the host of SA Survivor, it was really informative. He was also a superfan who wanted to be on the show even though he was a professional actor. He was rejected as a competitor, but by the time it came back on air in 2018, he was well-known enough as an actor and host of shows that they asked him to host. So another superfan running the show.

He had some insight that I didn't know about tribals. They apparently have to shoot the snuffing of the torch and walk off the set 2-3 times to get the shots they want. So the poor person who was voted out or blindsided has do that multiple times and THEN come back for still photographs of the flame being snuffed out. He said by the time they are done, the voted out person is really wrung out. So after a few hours of reliving your voting out, the host gives the person some chocolate and gives them a big hug. He said over half the players absolutely lose it then. It's both realizing the game is over AND it's the first genuine hug they've received, because you always question everything in the game. So it's the first real emotion from another person they've had in however many days. He's a great host.

Survivor South Africa just wrapped. So excited, they do this better than anyone.

Apparently not filmed on an island, but in an isolated environment.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Just finished this season. The absolute best season of this show ever. I can't imagine another season will ever even come close...

Incredibly high level of gameplay, the respect and relationships between the castaways was remarkable, the challenges were great, the rewards the great. The family visit was the most powerful one of the show's history.

All-around amazing season, really loved it beyond words can describe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad