Surprising trophy wins.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I realize the Plus/Minus award (known under five different names), awarded from 1983 to 2008, isn't exactly the most prestigious or meaningful. Nevertheless, there was some "surprising" winners:
- 1983 Charlie Huddy (tied with Gretzky)
- 1988 Brad McCrimmon
- 1990 Paul Cavallini
- 1991 Marty McSorley (tied with Theo Fleury)
- 1992 Paul Ysebaert
- 2004 Marek Malik (tied with Martin St.Louis)
- 2006 Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival

Reactions: barbu

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Holtby and Kuznetsov both had a better playoff than Ovechkin, for me.
Maybe so, but that doesn't make Ovechkin's win "a joke", does it? Since the Dead Puck era, two players in total (Ovechkin and Crosby in '09) have scored 15 goals in one playoff. I'm just concerned about the semantics.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Maybe so, but that doesn't make Ovechkin's win "a joke", does it? Since the Dead Puck era, two players in total (Ovechkin and Crosby in '09) have scored 15 goals in one playoff. I'm just concerned about the semantics.

Yeah, and how many players have scored 34 points?

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
The term "sheltered" gets thrown around a lot...I mean, were teams willfully letting the guy who led the team in goals and points play against luddite defensemen? And even if that's true...his linemates were legit third liners in Carl Hagelin and Nick Bonino, two guys better known for defense than offense...so it's not like he was lighting it up with a star either.

Sounds like he would have been damned if he did (played with Crosby or Malkin who would have "inflated" his point totals) and damned if he didn't (he was "sheltered" because he wasn't playing with Crosby or Malkin)...

I'm not saying that the entire premise is entirely faulty...or it's impossible to suggest that anyone else could have won it but Kessel...but I don't know what that guy is supposed to do haha

Reactions: Eisen

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I didn’t find Ovechkin’s Conn Smythe to necessarily be surprising, but the Conn Smythe trend in the 2010s as a whole kinda was. 7 forwards won the Conn Smythe, but Ryan O’Reilly was the only one who actually led the playoffs in scoring.

The decade as a whole probably did some damage to the prestige of the award, as there were so many instances of the best player being on a losing team.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I didn’t find Ovechkin’s Conn Smythe to necessarily be surprising, but the Conn Smythe trend in the 2010s as a whole kinda was. 7 forwards won the Conn Smythe, but Ryan O’Reilly was the only one who actually led the playoffs in scoring.

The decade as a whole probably did some damage to the prestige of the award, as there were so many instances of the best player being on a losing team.

Im just waiting for someone to win it WITHOUT EVEN REACHING THE FINALS

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
The term "sheltered" gets thrown around a lot...I mean, were teams willfully letting the guy who led the team in goals and points play against luddite defensemen? And even if that's true...his linemates were legit third liners in Carl Hagelin and Nick Bonino, two guys better known for defense than offense...so it's not like he was lighting it up with a star either.

Sounds like he would have been damned if he did (played with Crosby or Malkin who would have "inflated" his point totals) and damned if he didn't (he was "sheltered" because he wasn't playing with Crosby or Malkin)...

I'm not saying that the entire premise is entirely faulty...or it's impossible to suggest that anyone else could have won it but Kessel...but I don't know what that guy is supposed to do haha
The opponent got only a certain amount of elite defensemen to deploy. The Penguins was smart to play the HBK line behind Crosby's and Malkin's lines.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
my last bunch of top three conn smythe predictions in the moment before they announced the award—

last year: o'reilly, pietrangelo, binnington

year before: kuz, holtby, ovechkin

year before that: well after 2016 i knew crosby would win it no matter what, and i can't argue, but i did kind of want them to break type and co-give it to murray/fleury even though i knew that was not remotely a possibility

the one people are discussing: letang, murray, couture, but i admit that in the absence of a real standout crosby was fine and i'm probaby holding him to his own standards rather than objectively comparing him to the field. it did not occur to me that kessel could have been considered. that kind of dark horse lots of goals but not the main guy conn smythe winner in the past played on higher lines than kessel did and did more: claude lemieux was NJ's most heavily used shutdown forward, justin williams played a lot on kopitar's line, nieuwendyk was the second line center. i think more importantly, there was the perception by media and fans that those players made two-way contributions and had all-round intangibles that no one has ever accused phil kessel of possessing. i think it would have been like jeff carter winning in 2012, as the third most important center on his own team.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
The opponent got only a certain amount of elite defensemen to deploy. The Penguins was smart to play the HBK line behind Crosby's and Malkin's lines.

I do understand how this stuff works and I don't mean to belabor the point...but maybe someone will (maybe me) will do this for Crosby, but here are the defensemen that Kessel pointed against in the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs...

Girardi and Staal
Klein and Staal
Staal
Klein and McDonagh
Klein and Yandle
Klein and Staal
Orpik and Schmidt
Carlson and Schmidt
Carlson and Chorney
Niskanen and Alzner
Niskanen and Chorney
Niskanen and Chorney
Garrison and Coburn
Garrison and Sustr
Hedman and Coburn
Garrison and Stralman
Koekkoek and Coburn
Garrison
Dillon and Polak
Dillon and Polak
Vlasic and Braun
Vlasic and Braun

I see some bleh d-men in there for sure...Chorney, Sustr, Koekkoek aren't NHLers...Dillon and Polak were horrendous in the SCF...but he ended with some points against a lot of good players too...I see a few shutdown pairs up there...

I'm not sure where I'm going with this...it's certainly not to contend that you were suggesting all of his points came against third pairing d-men, I know it's not that...but he made the best of the hand he was dealt, the talent matches the stats, and he deserves some credit...because like I said, it's a catch-22 probably...if he played with Sid, it's like "well, Sid helped him to get that" basically, he's either "sheltered" by Sid or "sheltered" by playing on the third line...meaning, basically, no matter what, you can make the claim that he deserved, um, worse (?)...

Reactions: Canadiens1958

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I do understand how this stuff works and I don't mean to belabor the point...but maybe someone will (maybe me) will do this for Crosby, but here are the defensemen that Kessel pointed against in the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs...

Girardi and Staal
Klein and Staal
Staal
Klein and McDonagh
Klein and Yandle
Klein and Staal
Orpik and Schmidt
Carlson and Schmidt
Carlson and Chorney
Niskanen and Alzner
Niskanen and Chorney
Niskanen and Chorney
Garrison and Coburn
Garrison and Sustr
Hedman and Coburn
Garrison and Stralman
Koekkoek and Coburn
Garrison
Dillon and Polak
Dillon and Polak
Vlasic and Braun
Vlasic and Braun

I see some bleh d-men in there for sure...Chorney, Sustr, Koekkoek aren't NHLers...Dillon and Polak were horrendous in the SCF...but he ended with some points against a lot of good players too...I see a few shutdown pairs up there...

I'm not sure where I'm going with this...it's certainly not to contend that you were suggesting all of his points came against third pairing d-men, I know it's not that...but he made the best of the hand he was dealt, the talent matches the stats, and he deserves some credit...because like I said, it's a catch-22 probably...if he played with Sid, it's like "well, Sid helped him to get that" basically, he's either "sheltered" by Sid or "sheltered" by playing on the third line...meaning, basically, no matter what, you can make the claim that he deserved, um, worse (?)...

i'm not sure most people are actually suggesting that crosby and malkin played against top fours and bonino's line exclusively played against third pairs. i think it's more like with two art ross lines in the lineup, those ES matchups kessel's line is facing are stretched pretty thin, because it's not like vlasic and co. also expending a lot of energy trying to stop crosby and malkin and most likely the majority of their preparation and gameplanning is to stop the lines that aren't bonino's.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Re: lady byng - it was clearly originally intended for high end players who played the game hard but clean. Guys like Frank Nighber and Frank Boucher. By that criteria, Sakic and Lidstrom should have racked them up. But at some point, voters stopped caring about the award entirely, and it seems it just started going to the guy with the lowest PIM per point scored ratio, regardless of how he played.

So yes, I think it did matter that Brian Campbell had fewer PIMs than Lidstrom, unfortunately.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Re: lady byng - it was clearly originally intended for high end players who played the game hard but clean. Guys like Frank Nighber and Frank Boucher. By that criteria, Sakic and Lidstrom should have racked them up. But at some point, voters stopped caring about the award entirely, and it seems it just started going to the guy with the lowest PIM per point scored ratio, regardless of how he played.

So yes, I think it did matter that Brian Campbell had fewer PIMs than Lidstrom, unfortunately.

i actually don't mind it when they use the lady byng for the guy who is not going to get a sniff at any other award but had a big year that should be recognized. i.e., turgeon, mogilny, demitra, hudler, william karlsson, etc.

2012 spezza would have been a nice one. that was a great forgotten season by him.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, and how many players have scored 34 points?

What would 34 points be reference too ? Is it a typo for the 32 points that Kuznetsov scored.

Since the lock out:
NHL & WHA Single Season Playoff Leaders and Records for Points | Hockey-Reference.com

The top 14 (4 tie at the 15 spot) look like this, bolded are Kuznetsov and Ovechkin 2018 playoff run:

Ovechkin isn't far away.

Has for the first Conn Smythe of Crosby being a joke, I feel that an impression caused by an unlucky PDO on a small sample size.

The voters impression that he was more central to the penguins 16 wins than any other players was not a joke even if highly debatable (and debatable if it is the good way to look at who should be the MVP)

During the penguins 16 wins, they had 5 good candidate for the Smythe(with last name with the same number of letters strangely)

Crosby: 6G, 11A, 17P, +8, 19:50 minute by game, 54% faceoff win
Kessel: 7G, 8A, 15P, +7, 17:09 minute by game
Malkin: 3G, 10A, 13P, +3, 16:19 minute by game, 42% faceoff win
Letang: 3G, 10A, 13P, +13, 27:56 minute by game
Murray: .943% save percentage, 24 GA in those 15W, only 2 time above 2goal, twice only 3 in 40 shot against effort.

During the playoff offensive zone face off start:
Kessel: 70%
Malkin: 73%
Crosby: 57%
Letang: 52%

Watching those games, Kessel-Malkin line did feel like they had really sheltered minutes/usage, Kessel and Malkin were #4 and #6 in even strength minutes among Penguins forward those playoff that would be strange for MVPs, 4&5 in EV TOI/GP, scored less in the game the Pens won than Crosby and I would imagine hard for voters to prefer one to the other.

Letang was a really good pick until the final, I need to go from memory but I remember him having been a incredible machine those playoff but going down a bit toward the end.

Murray vs Crosby, hard to compare Goaltender vs Players, but there being a rookie versus a superstar veteran that didn't win a Smyth despite having scored 31 points in is previous Cup probably played a role in voters mind yes, still not a joke.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

Is that even strength points, Kessel was playing on the first PP units and had 11 power play points those playoff (50% of is production), he would have faced great pair of defense on those 11.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

Girardi and Staal
Klein and Staal
Staal
Klein and McDonagh
Klein and Yandle
Klein and Staal
Orpik and Schmidt
Carlson and Schmidt
Carlson and Chorney
Niskanen and Alzner
Niskanen and Chorney
Niskanen and Chorney
Garrison and Coburn
Garrison and Sustr
Hedman and Coburn
Garrison and Stralman
Koekkoek and Coburn
Garrison
Dillon and Polak
Dillon and Polak
Vlasic and Braun
Vlasic and Braun

You seem to be searching for the Al Langlois line in hockey. Equivalent to the Mendoza line in baseball.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
agree. how sheltered could he have been? in the playoffs, bonino, kessel, and hagelin were #2, 3, and 4 in ES icetime among forwards on that team.

Great point.

The HBK line was kind of like the Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer line the Ducks had in 2007 - 3rd line in name only. And collectively, the players on their teams whose profiles rose the most from the championship run.

I remember it being discussed how there needed to be a mechanism in place in 2017 to award Fleury and Murray for two great rounds each. 2007 and 2016 similarly could have benefited from Gary Bettman breaking off pieces of the Conn Smythe to give to a specific unit.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
agree. how sheltered could he have been? in the playoffs, bonino, kessel, and hagelin were #2, 3, and 4 in ES icetime among forwards on that team.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

I have #3,#4,#5 for EV ice time, #3,#4,#6 for EV ice time by game on both there and NHL.com

Has for how sheltered:

% Defensive zone start:
PlayerDef. Zone start
Matt Cullen0.62
Tom Kuhnhackl0.56
Eric Fehr0.48
Oskar Sundqvist0.43
Bryan Rust0.27
Nick Bonino0.26
Carl Hagelin0.24
Sidney Crosby0.19
Patric Hornqvist0.18
Evgeni Malkin0.12
Conor Sheary0.11
Phil Kessel0.11
Beau Bennett0.10
Chris Kunitz0.09
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

% offensive zone start
PlayerDef. Zone startOff. Zone Faceoff %
Evgeni Malkin0.1272.99
Phil Kessel0.1170.09
Conor Sheary0.1168.24
Chris Kunitz0.0967.39
Beau Bennett0.1066.67
Patric Hornqvist0.1858.92
Carl Hagelin0.2456.65
Sidney Crosby0.1956.51
Nick Bonino0.2653.31
Bryan Rust0.2751.12
Eric Fehr0.4826.87
Oskar Sundqvist0.4321.43
Tom Kuhnhackl0.5616.13
Matt Cullen0.6213.59
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Toi%QoC
Column1Zone start ratioToi QOCCF QOC
ERIC.FEHR27.329.050.6
TOM.KUHNHACKL15.429.050.7
BRYAN.RUST51.729.150.6
CHRIS.KUNITZ68.429.150.4
MATT.CULLEN13.129.250.7
EVGENI.MALKIN72.629.250.5
PHIL.KESSEL70.029.450.5
NICK.BONINO55.629.550.6
CARL.HAGELIN58.329.550.6
PATRIC.HORNQVIST59.529.750.8
CONOR.SHEARY68.129.850.6
SIDNEY.CROSBY58.329.950.7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Seem to have received good quality of competition (with so much success), used quite has an pure offensive line/role when they were with Kessel.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I remember it being discussed how there needed to be a mechanism in place in 2017 to award Fleury and Murray for two great rounds each. 2007 and 2016 similarly could have benefited from Gary Bettman breaking off pieces of the Conn Smythe to give to a specific unit.

PoshSaltyDikdik-size_restricted.gif

Eh if you start breaking it into pieces, you can justify it in so many years. It would probably lead to an increase in problems.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Anyone who remembers watching the 2016 finals knows Crosby won the Smythe for utterly dominating the Shark centres in the faceoff zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad