Surprising Playoff Heroics...

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Everyone knows about the tremendous playoff runs Kontos, Druce and Pisani had that seemingly came out of nowhere... are there other such examples?

Ruslan Fedotenko had a very odd playoff career. He basically did next to nothing in most of his playoff runs but managed to tie for the playoff goal-scoring lead in '04 with 12 goals and he had seven goals in the '09 playoffs.

His playoff stats are as follows:

2004 + 2009: 19 G, 9 A, 28 P in 46 GP

Rest of career: 3 G, 9 A, 12 P in 62 GP

Reactions: BHD

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Lonny Bohonos's NHL career lasted 83 games, but in the 1999 playoffs, injuries to Korolev and Modin put him on a line with Sundin.

Bohonos averaged a point per game as Toronto advanced to the conference finals.

Reactions: Dingo and BHD

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Rick MacLeish, despite being a sub-point-per-game player in 1974 and 1975, led both playoffs in scoring and had a combined statline of 24 goals, 42 points, and a +17 in 34 games. Just 65 points in 80 playoff games and a -11 otherwise.

Krecji has never scored more than 73 points in a season, but across the Bruins’ 2011 and 2013 Finals runs, he led both playoffs in scoring with a combined 49 points in 47 games. Only 66 points in the other 98 playoff games, with no individual run exceeding a point-per-game.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Oilers fans will remember Mark Lamb, a diminutive center who was a borderline NHL/AHL player for many seasons -- 7 years after his draft, he had appeared in 45 NHL games (he eventually found regular, full-time NHL work with expansion Ottawa, one of the worst teams ever). But in the Oilers' 1990 Cup run, he scored 14 points in the first 12 games, including the overtime winner in their first playoff victory. Overall, 17 points in 22 games, and a +12. He was a real factor in that Cup win.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
this screams 2004 keith primeau. thirteen years into his career, one of the worst playoff performers of his generation and boom he turns into ryan o’reilly, carries his team to within a goal of the finals, and doubles his career playoff goals total in one run.

then concussions do him in and that’s the end of his career.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
this screams 2004 keith primeau. thirteen years into his career, one of the worst playoff performers of his generation and boom he turns into ryan o’reilly, carries his team to within a goal of the finals, and doubles his career playoff goals total in one run.

then concussions do him in and that’s the end of his career.

Yeah, that playoff run was actually getting national media attention all the time, even down here in NC. I personally dislike Primeau as a player and as an individual, but he showed up there. Not sure how in the world that happened, but he deserves credit.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Ville Leino is a good one.

He was a total dud in Detroit. In 2010, he scored 7 points in 42 games, and was subsequently shipped to the Flyers for a small return. Several months later, he's scoring 21 points in 19 playoff games. It looked like Detroit made a big mistake. He was pretty good the following regular season. After that, he fell fast. In hindsight, he just got hot in the playoffs playing on a line with Briere and Hartnell.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Deadmarsh a.k.a. "Deader" "The Wings killer".

Whether in L.A. or Colorado, Deadmarsh came up huge in the biggest games against Detroit.

Thanks for the memories. Deadmarsh was a good power forward for several seasons. I don't remember his playoff numbers being way different than his regular season, though.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Oilers fans will remember Mark Lamb, a diminutive center who was a borderline NHL/AHL player for many seasons -- 7 years after his draft, he had appeared in 45 NHL games (he eventually found regular, full-time NHL work with expansion Ottawa, one of the worst teams ever). But in the Oilers' 1990 Cup run, he scored 14 points in the first 12 games, including the overtime winner in their first playoff victory. Overall, 17 points in 22 games, and a +12. He was a real factor in that Cup win.

Yeah... sorta helped that he was centering (still) prime Kurri and Tikkanen. But yeah, definitely remember that team and his role. I remember that #13 zipping around the ice in EA's first version of NHL (see avatar)

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
10 goals and 24 points in 23 games throughout his four series wins against Detroit - and in the other 82 playoff games, just 16 goals and 42 points.
So he blew his wad against Osgood, Vernon, and Ranford? Funny there was a thread recently about Detroit's playoff failures during the 90's. The thread didn't include 1999-2001, but goaltending was a similar issue in those years.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Rick MacLeish, despite being a sub-point-per-game player in 1974 and 1975, led both playoffs in scoring and had a combined statline of 24 goals, 42 points, and a +17 in 34 games. Just 65 points in 80 playoff games and a -11 otherwise.

Krecji has never scored more than 73 points in a season, but across the Bruins’ 2011 and 2013 Finals runs, he led both playoffs in scoring with a combined 49 points in 47 games. Only 66 points in the other 98 playoff games, with no individual run exceeding a point-per-game.

I wouldn’t say Rick MacLeish was a surprising playoff performer. I believe he scored 50 goals 1 year. Even Bobby Clarke said he was their most talented player. MacLeish was a heck of a player and a gifted skater.

Reactions: double5son10

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Given that he was a rookie college UFA, you gotta have Krug against Lundqvist up there.

Kid defenseman comes in and lights Lundqvist up for 4 goals in 5 games

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I wouldn’t say Rick MacLeish was a surprising playoff performer. I believe he scored 50 goals 1 year. Even Bobby Clarke said he was their most talented player. MacLeish was a heck of a player and a gifted skater.

Clarke has said in the past that MacLeish had all the talent in the world, but he was a bit lazy at times.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ville Leino is a good one.

He was a total dud in Detroit. In 2010, he scored 7 points in 42 games, and was subsequently shipped to the Flyers for a small return. Several months later, he's scoring 21 points in 19 playoff games. It looked like Detroit made a big mistake. He was pretty good the following regular season. After that, he fell fast. In hindsight, he just got hot in the playoffs playing on a line with Briere and Hartnell.

I don't think that's entirely fair as he indeed played at a comparably high level for the rest of his time in Philadelphia outscoring Hartnell and getting Selke votes. It's only in Buffalo that things didn't click at all and things went downhill.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I have to mention Dave Lowry in '96!

Playing for the Cinderella Panthers, he scored 10 goals and 17 points in 22 playoff games. This is a guy who had 16 playoff goals in his entire career (in 111 games) and never scored 20 goals in a season (he did score 19 twice).

Excluding the '96 playoffs, he had six goals in 89 NHL playoff games.

Reactions: GMR

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

that OT goal was big because it prevented them from going down 0-2 to Winnipeg

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I could be confusing him with Leach, but I think he was also drinking extremely heavily during those years

They all drank a lot as their favorite hangout was Rexy's pub in a small town called Mt. Epharim ( right over the Walt Whitman & Ben Franklin Bridge's that lead into Philly). Bobby Clarke use to live about 5 minutes from there and my aunt lived about 4 doors down from him when he first came to the Flyers. Leach was more of a drinker then Rick was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->