News Article: Surprising no one, Lindbohm back to Chicago

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
To be fair, this is exactly what the team said would happen. It was also going to be a temporary thing. Hitch isn't going to sit Jackman, and I don't think Armstrong wants to let Lindbohm sit in the press box as the seventh.

I think Lindbohm has earned a spot on this team, but unless Jackman's leg falls off and both Cole and Leopold crap the bed completely, I don't think we'll see Lindbohm recalled.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
To be fair, this is exactly what the team said would happen. It was also going to be a temporary thing. Hitch isn't going to sit Jackman, and I don't think Armstrong wants to let Lindbohm sit in the press box as the seventh.

I think Lindbohm has earned a spot on this team, but unless Jackman's leg falls off and both Cole and Leopold crap the bed completely, I don't think we'll see Lindbohm recalled.

Okay and I get that but then why recall him at all?

Were some of the d-men not feeling well enough and maybe couldn't dress? Precautionary? Was there a trade in the works that fell through?

I just wish coach would ice the best possible team, and that includes Lindbohm.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Were some of the d-men not feeling well enough and maybe couldn't dress? Precautionary? Was there a trade in the works that fell through?

It was indeed precautionary. We only had six defensemen on the roster prior to his recall. Gunnarsson is with the team, but until he plays a game he's still a non-roster player. We were carrying 22 players for cap reasons.

Lindbohm was recalled because we were on a west coast road trip playing back to back games in Phoenix and Anaheim. If somebody had gotten hurt in Phoenix we likely wouldn't have been able to get a defenseman to Anaheim in time and would have had to play with 5. Calling Lindbohm up prevented that from happening. He got sent back down because Gunnarsson is very close to coming back.

For the record, I'm not in favor of putting him back in Chicago. I understand why he's in Chicago, but I do think he's good enough to be one of our top six.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

Since Gunnarson was not yet ready to go, if a defenseman had been injured on Saturday, we would not have been able to get a replacement in time. Now the presumption is that Gunnarson is ready and will play Thursday

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
This simply means Gunnarson is ready to go next game.

Several people are extrapolating wildly from the limited looks in camp, in regards to Lindbohm. He's a pleasant surprise, but the Blues third pairing without him is the same pairing that contributed to dominating performances against Arizona and LA. They're not as good as the top 4, especially at transition. But that's really not a fair standard.

Jackman has played just fine for his role. If you take him out of the lineup you remove almost all of the physicality from the Blues D. I think part of Lindbohm's value is that he has a bit of that Jackman toughness in his game, too. I wish Cole would show that again. It's just absent now.

Anyway, seems like maybe we can see the teams actual projected 3 pairings at least once before blowing it up, eh? Next game looks to be the first time this season that defenders will be in their intended roles. If Cole and Jackman can't look serviceable as a pairing, it's Cole and not Jackman who should be worried about his future. If Lindbohm WAS brought up, it would most likely be at Cole's expense and to be paired with Jackman.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I love this is Jackman's last season and we can give up that slow legs d-man or he accept low price 2-way deal like Butler. I bet he will be even slower after this year. Face that he isnt anymore that man who can take 3rd pairing responsibilities on blues (only debt 7th d-man), maybe some other team but when thinking Lindbohm will be better (predict) after this season there is no room for Jackman get resign.

Thou we have seen only 1 game from Lindbohm I'm totally convinced that we could do it better post-season with Petteri on 3rd d-man then Jackman.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I love this is Jackman's last season and we can give up that slow legs d-man or he accept low price 2-way deal like Butler. I bet he will be even slower after this year. Face that he isnt anymore that man who can take 3rd pairing responsibilities on blues (only debt 7th d-man), maybe some other team but when thinking Lindbohm will be better (predict) after this season there is no room for Jackman get resign.

Thou we have seen only 1 game from Lindbohm I'm totally convinced that we could do it better post-season with Petteri on 3rd d-man then Jackman.

Really? A rookie who has played ONE game and you are convinced he could do better than Jackman in the NHL postseason? Where is all the Jackman hate coming from today? He was never that fast to begin with. He absolutely is able to effectively play on the 3rd pairing on the Blues. Come on

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014

why would he sit jackman lol?

its between

Cole and leo at this point and throw lindbohm in there if both of them screw up. After watching Cole im sure he will lose his job again for the 3rd straight year (last night he was brutal and hes good for a PIM a game) he was so bad last year we had Carlo replace him. There is a reason why they play him with Petro...

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I wouldn't go so far to say that Jackman is done. He's slowing down no doubt, but he's still just fine on the third pairing. He needs a good puck mover with him though. That's why he looked so much better with Shattenkirk. Jax is at his worst when he has to do the puck moving himself. When he can just focus on playing defense he's fine.

I'm probably Lindbohm's biggest fan here, but even I don't think Jackman should be tossed aside because of him. It's Cole that really needs to watch his back.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
why would he sit jackman lol?

its between

Cole and leo at this point and throw lindbohm in there if both of them screw up. After watching Cole im sure he will lose his job again for the 3rd straight year (last night he was brutal and hes good for a PIM a game) he was so bad last year we had Carlo replace him. There is a reason why they play him with Petro...

I thought Gunnarsson was going to be able to play on the road trip (according to JR and Lou).

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
They originally thought he may be good to go for this most recent road trip, but I guess he wasn't. He should be ready to go this week though.

From what I read, he wasn't able to participate in high intensity practice enough before the games. With the team being on a bonding trip and 3 games in 4 days, it didn't like the team felt he could fully aclimate to the team in time as opposed to physically not being ready

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
They originally thought he may be good to go for this most recent road trip, but I guess he wasn't. He should be ready to go this week though.

He was medically cleared to play. He just has to work into the lineup. There was a chance it would be on the trip. Almost certainly he'll be in now, with several practices with his partner before the next game.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

Jackman's certainly earned much more than Butler in this league and I think expecting him to sign a two-way, league minimum contract following this season to stay with the team he's been with his entire career is pretty far off base.

He's a solid 3rd pairing defenseman with the ability to fulfill limited 2nd line duties.

He's easily one of the more crafty Blues on the team, despite not being fast. I can guarantee you several teams' superstars (Kane especially comes to mind here) dread playing him as he's all over them the entire game. He's definitely declining with age, but he's been fairly solid for this organization and is one of the more successful physical, stay at home defenders in the league.

Lindbohm looks like he's got the tools to make a heck of a defenseman, but let's not move everyone in the way until the space is needed. Lindbohm is close, patience will bring a better Lindbohm.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Yup. If he couldn't latch on somewhere else, Jackman would almost certainly retire before signing a 2-way contract. It would be an insult to even offer it.

It seems to me that he has definitely lost a step. That's a bigger deal for guys like him than it used to be in this league, and that problem is further exacerbated by the fact that he doesn't really contribute much in the neutral and offensive zones.

That said, I wouldn't label him as a liability at this point, and I think there's a reasonable chance that his play will pick up a bit as the season progresses.

There's plenty of time to see how the situation evolves before making a decision on what to do with him in the playoffs, and later in this coming offseason.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Agreed Easton. We're only five games in. We've basically got the whole season ahead of us. Now, if Jackman continues to struggle and look slow, I think Lindbohm will get a serious look as his replacement next season. But, that's a long ways away.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
There is a lot of moving parts on our back end right now. You need to give defensemen a few games playing together to adequately judge them, but the new pairings havent looked great.

I think it is apparent that Hitch is gonna put Carl with Petro when he gets healthy, and let Jackman, Leopold, and Cole duke it out for playing time. Let Lindbohm play big minutes in Chicago, his style of play should be effective in the AHL. I think him playing was simply a case of the AHL season not starting yet, and a few players who werent available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad