Surprises and Disappointments from the NHL 2010 Draft

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't understand what exactly Coyle did to stand out in his first season. 26 points in 37 games if good for a freshman but it's not numbers that make me go wow this guys is a future all star. It's not like his numbers were that much better then other first or second rounders who played there first year in the NCAA

BU didn't have a ton of firepower this year, so it's tough to compare numbers from college to college/conference to conference.

By that same token, Jon Merrill came into a situation at Michigan where they needed a PP QB. So he put up pretty good numbers. Whereas Derek Forbort was on North Dakota who already had some veteran D higher in the pecking order.

Coyle's play at the WJC against his peers is probably the highlight of last season. And from the handful of BU games I watched, it was readily apparent that he was one of the best players on the ice even if he wasn't getting on the scoresheet.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I am very interested in McKegg but being a Leafs fan I feel I may be too close to my prospects to give an unbiased view. Is it fair to say McKegg can project to a second-liner?

Haha I'm a leafs fan too actually. I like what I see personally. He's shown a knack for scoring and playmaking and proved that his season last year wasn't a fluke. He's improved his skating too which is nice. I think he does project to be a second liner. He has lots of time to grow too. Unless he stuns in training camp he's going to spend another year in the OHL and more than likely a year at least in the AHL.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
Nicholls (the Leafs 7th rounder) put up shocking points (87 points in 71 WHL games) and is looking like a possible steal if he can build on this year

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Agreed, he was in my top 3 most impressive players at the WJCs last year.

Me too. Shockingly good. Wild have a stud of a player after that Burns trade.

Nicholls (the Leafs 7th rounder) put up shocking points (87 points in 71 WHL games) and is looking like a possible steal if he can build on this year

Nicholls is going to be counted on big time this year. Many big players moved on and the offensive weight will be on his shoulders mainly. Hopefully he's adding some weight and muscle this summer. Dude's a stringbean!

squidz*

The guy blows me away every time I watch him. And it also sounds like he was the biggest standout at Wild prospect camp.

Not the biggest. He was impressive, but Zucker overshadowed him. That's not a knock on Coyle at all though; Zucker was just that good. They played on a line together and clicked perfectly.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
For Calgary Reinhart and Holland have definitely rose rapidly

It's weird - every single one of Calgary's 2010 picks still looks decent, even though they didn't have a 1st or 2nd rounder. I wouldn't say any of them is stellar, but they all showed potential last year and in most cases improved significantly. Usually a full year after the draft at least a couple of picks will have lost some of their lustre.

Reinhart and Holland were definitely the two biggest risers, but Ramage, Arnold, Ferland and Leach also all looked excellent.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Justin Faulk won a National Title with MD, outplayed the vast majority of USA defenders at the U20, and made his professional debut last season for Charlotte and looked raw but projectable. I think in a redraft he goes in the 1st round pretty easily.

I'm still blown away by the season he had. I figured he'd need a few years in college to come around, but his play at MD alone was a real revelation, to say nothing of being able to take a regular shift in the AHL playoffs at 18.

hdtrax

Nicholls, as was mentioned above, and McKegg have risen big time over the last year. Hard to say about the Euros we picked but they all seem to very raw right now. Carrick is a bit of a disappointment I suppose, but he's a 5th rounder so there's not much to expect anyway.

Kitsy

Jul 15, 2011
Here are a couple more guys who stock has risen since draft day:

Gauthier - Leduc
Maxim Kitsyn

Also, does anyone think Dalton Smith's stock has fallen the furthest? Comparing some rising guys it looks like I would pick Galiev (86); Cehlin (126); Stone (178); Kitsyn (158) among many others above Smith (32). Am I being too hard on the guy? Anyone seen him play this year?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm still blown away by the season he had. I figured he'd need a few years in college to come around, but his play at MD alone was a real revelation, to say nothing of being able to take a regular shift in the AHL playoffs at 18.

The word that strikes me the most when I watch Faulk this year was aggressive. Everything he did was with assertive aggression. For example, he played the point of the powerplay at almost the tops of the circles every time I saw him play at UMD and even at Charlotte to a degree. More like a traditional 5 on 3 position. The thing about it was that he was quick enough with his hands to not pay for it. But when he'd get a puck out of the corner and punch it on net good things would invariably happen. He has that ability to come up the boards a bit and make himself a viable shooting candidate. He's also underrated in the physical department. He's a strong kid with a low center of gravity for being under six feet tall and you can tell his hand eye and foot speed are above average because he doesn't have all that extra length to grow into, which is why he was able to progress so seamlessly through college hockey when a few of his peers from this class like Forbort seemed to struggle to put their hands and skates together.

I still don't know where he stands on upside other than to say he looks good right now, but he's meeting very high expectations very early in his career. I kind of viewed him as a Joe Corvo or Ian White type presence. Heavy shot with an ability to be selectively physical and strong enough skating to create from the back end.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Here are a couple more guys who stock has risen since draft day:

Gauthier - Leduc
Maxim Kitsyn

Also, does anyone think Dalton Smith's stock has fallen the furthest? Comparing some rising guys it looks like I would pick Galiev (86); Cehlin (126); Stone (178); Kitsyn (158) among many others above Smith (32). Am I being too hard on the guy? Anyone seen him play this year?

26 points in 32 games on a powerhouse team is not very good...

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Points aren't everything...

people will say points aren't everything when they need that to be the case. They will say that Plus/Minus doesn't mean anything when they need to. All these are a way to measure players and should be looked at.

When i do not know the player then i look at their stats. I do not listen to what others have to say because they will tell you that their players from their team is so great.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Joey Hishon

good or bad? he was a first round draft players so are you saying he had a bad year? he did not have a great year to improve his draft spot did he? I think he was neither good or bad he did what was expected of a first rounder.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I almost want to make a separate thread, but...

Coyle wasn't a standout at Wild camp. He looked good, but didn't stand out. Zucker stood out. Just looked like a threat when he had the puck. Great shot.

I wonder why some guys drool over Coyle but not Zucker? Personally I think Zucker's closer to making the NHL and has a really good chance to be a quality sniper.

Coyle - 37gp 7g 19a
Zucker - 40gp 23g 22a

R S

Sep 18, 2006
good or bad? he was a first round draft players so are you saying he had a bad year? he did not have a great year to improve his draft spot did he? I think he was neither good or bad he did what was expected of a first rounder.

Hishon had a great year, proved a ton of doubters wrong.

He was near the top of the OHL in points per game and managed to stay healthier than he had in a while. Was refreshing to see an Avs gamble work out.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
If you really want to debunk the "college stats vs. potential" discussion, a great place to look is Chris Kreider. He's considered a phenomenal prospect and his numbers have been largely underwhelming at BC.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Points aren't everything...

They are in his play style if you catch my drift.

People say he can use his size along the boards and while in theory this is true it just seems like he shies away from the physical game in my incredibly limited sample size.

After watching him in the Memorial Cup this year I see how he was one of those guys who got hyped up all year just to fall to a late round pick. I don't think, unless he changes his game and compete level which are both possible, he'll be able to contribute in a bottom 6 role.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Hishon had a great year, proved a ton of doubters wrong.

He was near the top of the OHL in points per game and managed to stay healthier than he had in a while. Was refreshing to see an Avs gamble work out.

he was drafted 17th or 18th so he did not do anything to improve his standings up the draft or down the draft so he should not be a surprise or disappointment.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
he was drafted 17th or 18th so he did not do anything to improve his standings up the draft or down the draft so he should not be a surprise or disappointment.

Wasn't he ranked in the 40's on his draft day?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->