Management Surprised? True Bruins draft record

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Was there a time frame to this I wasn't aware of? Will our beloved bruins drafted players
Of Kessel lucic March for ex..in 2006 not be important anymore say a decade from now?

Since you're from Alberta
The oilers (different I know because of the WHA back then)
But boy landing Gretzky messier Anderson kurri tikanen
Fuhr coffee Lowe etc etc
Calgary ..McInnis Roberts Fleury loob nieuwendyk suter
(This is from my memory). So im sure im forgetting one or more..

P.s no I just choose drafts that came to mind..of course Det had great picks at lower then first RDS ..guys like you mentioned
Lidstrom , also Fedorov ( risky back then because of Russia communism) and more

well... the thread was supposed to not be about cherry picking drafts because the whole thing is that people who criticize boston… cherry pick drafts

I wanted to show that when you look at the work of a team all-inclusive... bostons drafting record is cup worthy. a team of all bruin draft picks who are currently active in the nhl would be the envy of any of the other 30 teams

so... your picking 2 good draft classes from another team might be interesting but it doesn't really have anything to do with the argument in this thread. it might be more interesting to post those montreal results in the draft forum? we aren't montreal fans here and no one is arguing that other teams might have a good draft class

the argument here is just... bostons drafting is way way better than a large group of negative nancys want to admit.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Was there a time frame to this I wasn't aware of? Will our beloved bruins drafted players
Of Kessel lucic March for ex..in 2006 not be important anymore say a decade from now?

Since you're from Alberta
The oilers (different I know because of the WHA back then)
But boy landing Gretzky messier Anderson kurri tikanen
Fuhr coffee Lowe etc etc
Calgary ..McInnis Roberts Fleury loob nieuwendyk suter
(This is from my memory). So im sure im forgetting one or more..

P.s no I just choose drafts that came to mind..of course Det had great picks at lower then first RDS ..guys like you mentioned
Lidstrom , also Fedorov ( risky back then because of Russia communism) and more

as for your oiler and flame comments... I don't want to go back and argue the 1980s... none of those players are still active. people complain about drafting when they say the reason we suck now is because we didn't draft anyone

they complain about todays team

so I want to limit our argument here to players that would be able to join a team and make a difference today.

as for the oilers... that 1979 draft was pretty awesome for them and it was followed by a great 1980 draft

for awhile people here said barry fraser was a genius and then he was pretty much never able to draft successfully again

for years jersey/Detroit/Colorado were called the top drafting teams because they seemingly were the teams that kept winning and had a lot of draft picks... but eventually their gold turned to coal

meanwhile people wanted to shout the praise of Chicago/LA/Pittsburgh over the last decade... but I think we can build a better case that boston has done a better job than these teams.

I think our group of kids right now is only rivaled by 1-2 franchises... and those franchises needed top 10 picking to be comparable to us

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Is this relevant??? Is it..
Who cares if they traded them..
What's your point? The talk is about draft success not where they were ended up after they got drafted..
Are you denying that these are 3 excellent players? And a Norris winner at that?
Bruins got rid of Kessel and Seguin ... 2 household names
And Jt ...what's your point?

Continuing to show that your reading comprehension skills are lacking. You made a post. I found it equally interesting that all three of these HUGE TALENTS (since you missed that part of my post) taken in the same draft are now all gone. That's all.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Can't believe I forgot Grz....
I just assumed you left him out because he didn't play under Chia when he was GM here.

I was really impressed looking back at his 2012 draft. There are already 10 defenseman taken after the second round who have played at least 100 games and another 5 (including Grzelcyk) who will reach that number around January or February including 2 7th rounders. The 1st round has 10+2 of the same criteria and the 2nd round has 2+0. So that means 15.6% of the regularly playing defenseman in this league right now came from this draft. 29 players and 31 teams so almost 1 per team. The Bruins did well to draft 2 of them and had traded for a third in Colin Miller. Of the 3, I'd definitely choose Grzelcyk as the best defensively and with all the injuries, he is on a 1/2 ppg pace right now.
Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2012

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
With regard to the 2015 first-round picks, who would you rather have at this point in time:

Zboril, Debrusk and Barzal or Zboril, Debrusk and Senyshyn?

how about neither Zboril or Senyshyn!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Ill go 3.picks in 2 rounds.
Firs rd... Ryan Mcdonaugh and Pacioretty ( both hits)
Second rd.. pk subban
First 3 players chosen in 2007 by mtl
3 hits
so.....one who was traded long before he became a full time NHL player, the other two wound up very good, both no longer in the uni? Nice cherry picking, go back, same team, and have a look at whom they have drafted and how many of those picks are playing significant roles within the organization

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
so.....one who was traded long before he became a full time NHL player, the other two wound up very good, both no longer in the uni? Nice cherry picking, go back, same team, and have a look at whom they have drafted and how many of those picks are playing significant roles within the organization

Definitely more misses then hits. I chose this one because i remembered the 2007 mtl draft...i didnt search other teams however it wouldnt be surprising if id have a hard time finding other hits like these.
I dont see the relevance of where the players ended up after being draftef
Ryan traded to NY Gomes trade
Pk . Nash ..weber trade
Max...Vegas... Suzuki
Arent we talking soley about draft success ? What the organization decided to do with them after being drafted isnt pertinent ...right?
I.e JT , phil kessel , Tyler seguin Blake wheeler( not drafted but signed as a FA) etc.....

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Anybody watch OHL vs Russia last night?

Pavel Shen (Bruins 7th Round pick) has been a beast in this CHL/RUSSIA Series. Shen captains the Russian team and is a lock to play for Russia at the World Juniors. Not sure what his contract status is in the KHL or his desire to play in the NHL but he could a huge steal from the past draft. Also, Studnicka looks really good too!

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I tried to put a little logic into judging drafts and this is what I decided upon.

Draft Analysis
Awesome: 1 Elite player; or 2 Stars; or 1 Star and 3 Regulars; or 6 Regulars
Successful: 1 Star; or 3 Full-Time Regulars
Poor: 1 or 2 Regulars
Failure: No Regulars

Bruins since 2000:
2000: Poor
2001: Successful
2002: Failure
2003: Awesome
2004: Successful
2005: Poor
2006: Awesome
--- GM PC
2007: Failure
2008: Poor
2009: Failure
2010: Awesome
2011: Successful
2012: Successful
2013: ***Tending towards Poor or Failure
2014: Awesome
--- GM DS
2015: ***Successful (could go higher)
2016: Awesome
2017: ***Too Soon
2018: ***Too Soon

There was definitely a turnaround in GM PC's drafting but unless you get an elite player, it can take 3-5 years to finally see rewards from a draft. GM DS is benefiting from GM PC's last couple of drafts along with his own 1st couple.

Because GM PC didn't draft well early, he had to trade and overpay which led to his eventual ouster. An example is Grzelcyk, drafted in 2012, spent 4 years in college and another in the AHL before the NHL last year and is holding the fort as the best defenseman on a depleted Bruins team.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
I tried to put a little logic into judging drafts and this is what I decided upon.

Draft Analysis
Awesome: 1 Elite player; or 2 Stars; or 1 Star and 3 Regulars; or 6 Regulars
Successful: 1 Star; or 3 Full-Time Regulars
Poor: 1 or 2 Regulars
Failure: No Regulars

Bruins since 2000:
2000: Poor
2001: Successful
2002: Failure
2003: Awesome
2004: Successful
2005: Poor
2006: Awesome
--- GM PC
2007: Failure
2008: Poor
2009: Failure
2010: Awesome
2011: Successful
2012: Successful
2013: ***Tending towards Poor or Failure
2014: Awesome
--- GM DS
2015: ***Successful (could go higher)
2016: Awesome
2017: ***Too Soon
2018: ***Too Soon

There was definitely a turnaround in GM PC's drafting but unless you get an elite player, it can take 3-5 years to finally see rewards from a draft. GM DS is benefiting from GM PC's last couple of drafts along with his own 1st couple.

Because GM PC didn't draft well early, he had to trade and overpay which led to his eventual ouster. An example is Grzelcyk, drafted in 2012, spent 4 years in college and another in the AHL before the NHL last year and is holding the fort as the best defenseman on a depleted Bruins team.

2007, 8, & 9 were the killer years - we should have at least 1 player in his mid to late 20's making an impact from those draft years right now and we have 0.0 of them!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->