Surprise 1st round pick

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Every year there's a player that was projected to go mid-2nd round that actually gt drafted in the first round. Who do you think it could be this year?

I'm thinking maybe Villeneuve. He seems to be well liked by every scout and he has a good ranking on every list. Maybe some team will try to short cut everyone and draft him around the 25th rank.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Theo Niederbach could be a 'reach' candidate, though maybe more in the early 2nd than 1st. Ottawa have numerous 2nd's and have strong ties to Frolunda so I could certainly see them reaching on him.

Mysak, Peterka, and/or Reichel might also surprise some in how high they go.

I think you're right about Villeneuve as well, he's gone a bit under the radar due to Poirier taking all the attention.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hope there will be many "not so 1st round picks" and multiple real 1st rounders will fall to Detroit 2nds.

That's the only thing I hope. I hope nothing but others being stupid with their reaches and Red Wings being damn smart and patient.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Hope there will be many "not so 1st round picks" and multiple real 1st rounders will fall to Detroit 2nds.

That's the only thing I hope. I hope nothing but others being stupid with their reaches and Red Wings being damn smart and patient.
Thats what every team hopes for, usally your own team doesnt pick fully in line with what you want though. Atleast in my experience

Reactions: Henkka

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Some people would probably be surprised to hear Anton Johannesson's name in the 1st round. I expect that to happen if he hits a growth spurt this spring/summer.

Reactions: Fenris and weems

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Tyler Kleven.
He is a bit of a bit of an old school player. Big, tough, clears the crease and is good in the corners. He has a presence on the ice.
He is the type of guy some of the older GM's or scouts covet but because he isn't flashy he is undervalued on many lists.

Reactions: Nitro Dubs

McGilliScout

Apr 12, 2020
Topi Niemala, Daniil Guschin, Marat Khusnutdinov, Roby Jarventie and Vasili Ponomaryov

Not saying all will go in the first, but they're all second rounders who could go in the first (although I do have Marat in my first).

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Daniel Torgersson sneaking into the first. Really strong on the puck, good in front of the net, and has a high motor. Some similarities to Simon Holmstrom last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad