TSN: Surging Bruins raise serious questions for Maple Leafs

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Safe to say Toronto is more concerned about playing the Bruins then Boston is about playing the Leafs

Surging Bruins raise serious questions for Maple Leafs

Toronto, who had arguably been the league’s second-best team for most of the regular season, fell into a bit of a slump (they have played to a 96-point pace since Jan. 1). That’s allowed Boston – who has played to a 132-point pace since the New Year – to surge past them in the standings. While you have to give full credit to the Bruins for playing so well down the stretch, you start to wonder what it might mean for the Maple Leafs – particularly if the first round ends with a third consecutive elimination.

Toronto playing relatively poorly of late is one issue. Boston playing relatively well of late is a second issue. The fact that two top-five teams in points are slated to play in the first-round is a third (and uncontrollable) issue. But maybe the most pressing issue is that the Bruins jumping the Maple Leafs in the standings is largely legitimate and unaffected by puck luck, and that the Bruins’ biggest gains have come in those critical even-strength minutes.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
There’s no denying the skill on Toronto, that’s evident. That said they’re by far and away the softest group in the NHL and I would hope that Wagner and Acciari will be finishing every hit. Target Marner, Target Matthews.

They do not do well with physicality.

If Boston goes into those games trying to outskill Toronto, I think that’s a bad decision.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
There’s no denying the skill on Toronto, that’s evident. That said they’re by far and away the softest group in the NHL and I would hope that Wagner and Acciari will be finishing every hit. Target Marner, Target Matthews.

If Boston goes into those games trying to outskill Toronto, I think that’s a bad decision.
Thats why i feel Marcus johansson is the x factor here . Once he jumps to 2nd line with david k and debrusk we will have 2 powerful skilled lines to go against leafs. We can go toe to toe with them in terms of scoring.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
They have a 25 page thread on this in the Leafs section. The most interesting take from it is that Boston has no depth and is a 1 line team.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Thats why i feel Marcus johansson is the x factor here . Once he jumps to 2nd line with david k and debrusk we will have 2 powerful skilled lines to go against leafs. We can go toe to toe with them in terms of scoring.

ok no. Their 3rd line is a bit better than our 2nd line. Let's be real here.

Our D, coaching, goalie(s) and first line are better than theirs and we'll probably have home ice. So still I like our chances a lot.

Reactions: ThomasJ13

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ok no. Their 3rd line is a bit better than our 2nd line. Let's be real here.

Our D, coaching, goalie(s) and first line are better than theirs and we'll probably have home ice. So still I like our chances a lot.

Pierre McGuire said on Montreal radio last week people in Toronto they think they have a huge advantage in coaching - THEY DON'T

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Safe to say Toronto is more concerned about playing the Bruins then Boston is about playing the Leafs

Surging Bruins raise serious questions for Maple Leafs

Toronto, who had arguably been the league’s second-best team for most of the regular season, fell into a bit of a slump (they have played to a 96-point pace since Jan. 1). That’s allowed Boston – who has played to a 132-point pace since the New Year – to surge past them in the standings. While you have to give full credit to the Bruins for playing so well down the stretch, you start to wonder what it might mean for the Maple Leafs – particularly if the first round ends with a third consecutive elimination.

Toronto playing relatively poorly of late is one issue. Boston playing relatively well of late is a second issue. The fact that two top-five teams in points are slated to play in the first-round is a third (and uncontrollable) issue. But maybe the most pressing issue is that the Bruins jumping the Maple Leafs in the standings is largely legitimate and unaffected by puck luck, and that the Bruins’ biggest gains have come in those critical even-strength minutes.
Leafs are #1 in NHL 5 on 5 the Tampa announcers said tonite.I think the keys are better leadership and defence.Just my opinion.

Reactions: Flannelman

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I don't think toughness will determine the series. When we were blowing them out first couple games last year physical play didn't have much to do with it. We aren't going to lose that battle.

The fact of the matter is we have been the biggest underacheivers in the NHL since 2014.

2014 Montreal collapse-pathetic
2015 missed playoffs- look who our best players were and where we were in the standings wth a couple weeks left again pathetic
2016- mirror image of 2015
2017- can't sneak by Ottawa awful
2018- let a much worse Leafs team take us to 7 games and have a lead in G7. Then quit vs Tampa after taking G1.

We aren't a tough team to beat when it matters. If the Leafs score goals and shut down the Bergeron line I'd be scared. If we have a few injuries that will be looked at as a convenient excuse. I'd like to be more confident but this leadership group wants to play golf when the weather gets warm.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
They have a 25 page thread on this in the Leafs section. The most interesting take from it is that Boston has no depth and is a 1 line team.
Thier take on Boston would have been an interesting observation—in November. Much has happened since then. I hope they are enjoying their nap.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Pierre McGuire said on Montreal radio last week people in Toronto they think they have a huge advantage in coaching - THEY DON'T
Babcock is heavily overrated. He had one hell of a team and a strong interference based system.

Him playing Hyman in the top 6 is like us playing Axelsson with Savard or Nordstrom with Krejci.

Reactions: sarge88

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I don't think toughness will determine the series. When we were blowing them out first couple games last year physical play didn't have much to do with it. We aren't going to lose that battle.

The fact of the matter is we have been the biggest underacheivers in the NHL since 2014.

2014 Montreal collapse-pathetic
2015 missed playoffs- look who our best players were and where we were in the standings wth a couple weeks left again pathetic
2016- mirror image of 2015
2017- can't sneak by Ottawa awful
2018- let a much worse Leafs team take us to 7 games and have a lead in G7. Then quit vs Tampa after taking G1.

We aren't a tough team to beat when it matters. If the Leafs score goals and shut down the Bergeron line I'd be scared. If we have a few injuries that will be looked at as a convenient excuse. I'd like to be more confident but this leadership group wants to play golf when the weather gets warm.

2014-2016 was dark times

But honestly 2017 do you not recall the injury list vs Ottawa? It was most of the D!

2018 still comes down to losing to a better team.

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
2014-2016 was dark times

But honestly 2017 do you not recall the injury list vs Ottawa? It was most of the D!

I have to somewhat disagree. I was there game 2, the Bruins had that game. The refs chose to swallow their whistles here and there. Watching McAvoy get hauled down with clear interference and no call changed the way the rest of the series was played. It would've looked different going to Tampa with the B's up 2-0. Not trying to take anything away from Tampa but that game was the best I'd ever been to and quickly turned into the worst I've ever been to.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'd like to see Mike Babcock have this Bruins roster, especially with all the injury no see early in the year, be in the position Cassidy has put them in.

He wouldn't.
Yes, but in all fairness our B's would be experts in setting picks, constant subtle interference, and whining. It's Babcock's thing.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Yes, but in all fairness our B's would be experts in setting picks, constant subtle interference, and whining. It's Babcock's thing.

You mean defensemen aren't allowed to continue skating directly into an oncoming player's path once he passes or dumps it in? :cool:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Babcock is heavily overrated. He had one hell of a team and a strong interference based system.

Him playing Hyman in the top 6 is like us playing Axelsson with Savard or Nordstrom with Krejci.[/

Lol please don’t give Bruce any lineup ideas. That Nordstrom fellow seems to constantly sneak on to lines he shouldn’t be on

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
"Toronto, who had arguably been the league’s second-best team for most of the regular season"

Stopped reading right there. Was this ever even close to being true?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
2014-2016 was dark times

And horrible officiating.

The non call when McAvoy was hooked that directly led to a TB goal cost them a game.

Series could have and likely would have been very, very different with that win.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
And horrible officiating.

The non call when McAvoy was hooked that directly led to a TB goal cost them a game.

Series could have and likely would have been very, very different with that win.
The only game in that series in which the Bruins were significantly outplayed was in game 3 although I do feel some bad habits acquired during the regular season like always trying to come from behind to win affected the game 2 outcome . They left the outcome of that game to the 3rd period and the officiating was so bad they couldn’t overcome it .

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
bruins didn't lose for ages and are still barely in front of Toronto, shows they are a good team.

defense and goaltending are hugely in our favor. If our middle six forwards shit the bed again and the top line can't score 155 pts like they did last year vs them we are cooked.

Reactions: BTP

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

soft physically and mentally and that D of theirs relies far too much on Andersson to hide their inept play in their own zone

Reactions: jgatie

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
bruins didn't lose for ages and are still barely in front of Toronto, shows they are a good team.

defense and goaltending are hugely in our favor. If our middle six forwards **** the bed again and the top line can't score 155 pts like they did last year vs them we are cooked.

If we hadn't been crippled by injuries all year we would be at a minimum 10 points up on TO and pretty close to " mighty " TB.

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
Don't like the narrative going into this series, would have much rathered the Leafs coming in very overconfident, still time for that to happen I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->