Supreme S29 vs Totalone NXG

michael1zfan

Apr 29, 2019
I'm in my 3rd session of beer league over 30 after playing roller hockey for about 15 years (haven't played league hockey for about 10 years). I'm currently on X40's that are a little large and they're absolutely killing my feet. I cracked a holder a couple weeks back, and thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade. I've been looking at the S29's, which are about the top of my price range. I was at a local shop this weekend trying on a pair of S29's, and the guy helping me said he had a deal I might be interested in - he brought out a pair of clearance totalone nxg's in my size that are on sale for less than the S29.

How much of an adjustment is it going to be jumping from an unmoldable $120 skate to an upper tier (albeit slightly vintage) NXG? A couple guys have told me that the boot may be extremely stiff for someone that hasn't ice skated for all that long, but I'm interested to hear some more opinions. The only issue with the NXG is that I liked the feel of the EE width in the S29, but the NXG is a D. Should I take the leap for the NXG, or just go for the more current S29?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The stiffness should be a point of concern, but the way I see it; you can consider it over in two ways; performance and longevity. Performance wise, how good of a skater are you, I know you've been playing for a long time, but are you able to do all the normal hockey skating techniques regularly (i.e. pivoting, fwd/back crossovers on both sides, walking the blueline, mohawks etc.?). Remember, you can always bake a skate multiple times.

Longevity wise, obviously a stiffer skate will last longer than a softer pair. But are you a heavier set guy who would wear through skates relatively quicker?

Concerning sizing, you can always mold skates, so if we're deciding between a pair that's slightly too wide vs slightly too narrow; I'd always recommend the latter. Also, are you sure the fit for the length is good for both skates? I've noticed that newer Supreme models sometimes fit a bit larger than before.

michael1zfan

Apr 29, 2019
AIREAYE - thanks for the feedback! I appreciate you taking the time.

I'm not a bad skater. Definitely still much more comfortable on roller blades than ice at this point, but I'm working on it. Crossovers, forward to backward transitions are both fine, and I'm still working on improving my stops.

I'm a little overweight for my height, but I don't think I'm going to wear them out too rapidly at 185 pounds.

That last point you made was my main concern - having not previously owned thermoformable skates, it's hard to judge whether to be overly concerned with the fitment prior to baking. With the D width NXG, I had some slight pressure at the widest part of my foot, but it wasn't to the point of squeezing like the Vapors I tried.

Thanks again!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If the slight pressure is on the boot and not the toecap and the seam between the toecap and boot, you should be OK because if a bake or two doesn't fix it, you can stretch that part out at the shop.

Regarding length, are you sure the NXG is right? If you tie them, kick your heels back all the way and stand with knees bent, are your toes grazing the front?

michael1zfan

Apr 29, 2019
If the slight pressure is on the boot and not the toecap and the seam between the toecap and boot, you should be OK because if a bake or two doesn't fix it, you can stretch that part out at the shop.

Regarding length, are you sure the NXG is right? If you tie them, kick your heels back all the way and stand with knees bent, are your toes grazing the front?

Sounds good, thanks! Length seems to be right. The length seemed right on both the Bauers and CCM's that I tried out.

Reactions: AIREAYE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->