Support women’s hockey

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
(If this thread title triggers you in any way, please just put it on ignore)

I’ve been teaching my daughter how to skate for almost 2 years now. She’s 5 and we’re about to start her in hockey. The Compher family are real good people, I’ve known them since JT was at Michigan. My daughter, who’s already a huge Wings fan, also looks up to Jesse. This Instagram post was awesome, props to the Wings who participated.

Hockey is for everyone, support women’s hockey. Go Wings, go Comphers, go Toronto.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
We have to do a better job with the latent sexism around sports, too. I took my daughters to a hockey game and at one point a fan a few seats away yelled at an opposing player that he hits like a girl. I snapped back that there was nothing wrong with hitting like a girl. I wish I had a more clever come back but what can you do.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
We have to do a better job with the latent sexism around sports, too. I took my daughters to a hockey game and at one point a fan a few seats away yelled at an opposing player that he hits like a girl. I snapped back that there was nothing wrong with hitting like a girl. I wish I had a more clever come back but what can you do.

Angela Ruggiero would probably hit harder than 75% of the Wings roster.

Edit: I say this because I think Angela Ruggiero was a f***in badass

Reactions: Bench

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I think about that stuff all the time…. “what would I say

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023

I’ve been teaching my daughter how to skate for almost 2 years now. She’s 5 and we’re about to start her in hockey. The Compher family are real good people, I’ve known them since JT was at Michigan. My daughter, who’s already a huge Wings fan, also looks up to Jesse. This Instagram post was awesome, props to the Wings who participated.

Hockey is for everyone, support women’s hockey. Go Wings, go Comphers, go Toronto.

Badass ,@jaster. Good luck to your daughter learning the game! It’s a lifelong bug that bites you when you get started.

this is something I’m really happy about with many of the leagues I’ve been in. I don’t see the sexism most of the time. People are usually there to have fun and drink when you’re at the low adult league levels

I was supremely weirded out by the Cincinnati League I used to be in just deciding to take a picture of my old Swedish friend and plopped her on the facebook group to draw people in without so much as a request or alert. That felt skeezy.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Quick, buy her a wings jersey without the ad before it's too late!

But for real, that's awesome and I wonder: does she have a fav player on the wings?
Mo. For sure. Ever since I took her to a preseason game in Chicago in 2022. We made a sign asking Mo for a stick (also said “Mo, I am your biggest and smallest fan”), and while he didn’t give up the stick, he did point it at her right before perfectly flipping a puck over the glass for her during warmups. She sleeps every night now with her favorite stuffy, a glow worm, and that puck :laugh:

IMG_9090.jpeg

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
Mo. For sure. Ever since I took her to a preseason game in Chicago in 2022. We made a sign asking Mo for a stick (also said “Mo, I am your biggest and smallest fan”), and while he didn’t give up the stick, he did point it at her right before perfectly flipping a puck over the glass for her during warmups. She sleeps every night now with her favorite stuffy, a glow worm, and that puck :laugh:

View attachment 838063
So sick.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
amazing that the first reply to this thread is the absolute worst response possible to the topic at hand. i applaud your ability to troll, but i despise your character.
Ahhh, once again trying to spin something I said into a negative. You realize there's very little physical difference between boys and girls at age 5, in fact girls actually grow faster at that age. I've taught quite a few kids how to ski, at age 5 they have to take private lessons, every ski resort I've taught at don't allow kids into group lessons until they're in elementary school.

Just so you understand I'm not BSing:

Any kid that's willing to play hockey at age 5 is mentally tougher than the Wings who apparently gave up because their captain got hurt.

My professional advice with kids and sports in general is don't make them do any sport they don't want to do. The kids that are self motivated will always do better than a kid forced into a lesson.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Jaster is officially off probation but I'm keeping an eye on his daughter as a forum member and look forward to her first ban.

Seriously though dude, these posts are the heart of the forum and I love reading it. Well done.
Spring, 2045:

After meeting a guy in a ball hockey league that goes by MBH, Jr., Jaster's daughter is ready to walk down the aisle. The wedding and reception are going beautifully, with the happy couple raking in the wedding gifts in Bench Bucks, the newest cryptocurrency. Unfortunately, the reception is ruined when the father of the groom discovers he knew the father of the bride on HFBoards years earlier, and takes a swing at Jaster.

Less unfortunately, the father of the groom discovers too late that Bench Bucks aren't accepted for bail money.

Last edited:

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Spring, 2045:

After meeting a guy in a ball hockey league that goes by MBH, Jr., Jaster's daughter is ready to walk down the aisle. The wedding and reception are going beautiful, with the happy couple raking in the wedding gifts in Bench Bucks, the newest cryptocurrency. Unfortunately, the reception is ruined when the father of the groom discovers he knew the father of the bride on HFBoards years earlier, and takes a swing at Jaster.

Less unfortunately, the father of the groom discovers too late that Bench Bucks aren't accepted for bail money.
Some days, you folks have way too much fun :cool:

I remember around 50 odd years ago when the first girls league started locally at the house level, I was one of the few brave referees that lasted the season, I think it awesome the girls and women are making great strides and playing the game :thumbu:

Reactions: SoupNazi

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Ahhh, once again trying to spin something I said into a negative. You realize there's very little physical difference between boys and girls at age 5, in fact girls actually grow faster at that age. I've taught quite a few kids how to ski, at age 5 they have to take private lessons, every ski resort I've taught at don't allow kids into group lessons until they're in elementary school.
As a gal who only stopped playing sports with the boys when she was in late middle school because they wouldn't play with her anymore because she was too rough... I can agree.

Jaster good on ya for introducing your daughter to the game. Hockey is such a fun sport to play and to watch, and it becomes a real lifelong addiction.

I'm glad that they have legitimately brough physicality into Womens pro hockey. This idea that women can't play physical is silly. At 5'2 its probably not going to end well if I try to hit or tackle someone that is 10" taller than me but I could certainly do it pretty well to someone of a similar size.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
As a gal who only stopped playing sports with the boys when she was in late middle school because they wouldn't play with her anymore because she was too rough... I can agree.

Jaster good on ya for introducing your daughter to the game. Hockey is such a fun sport to play and to watch, and it becomes a real lifelong addiction.

I'm glad that they have legitimately brough physicality into Womens pro hockey. This idea that women can't play physical is silly. At 5'2 its probably not going to end well if I try to hit or tackle someone that is 10" taller than me but I could certainly do it pretty well to someone of a similar size.

It's been my experience that women that play hockey quite literally only lack the size to impose their will on the game. One of my best friends is an even more batshit goalie than I am. Bruises the size of the state of Texas, a concussion bad enough to knock her out for like six months and an ankle that needed surgery and she's like "Yep, can't wait to be back playing in March."

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

.... go Toronto.

Out of context, in context, no context, what is context? I support Toronto in NOTHING. I find speaking in absolutes is rarely a good idea, but Toronto is an exception. ptooey

Ignoring.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
It's been my experience that women that play hockey quite literally only lack the size to impose their will on the game. One of my best friends is an even more batshit goalie than I am. Bruises the size of the state of Texas, a concussion bad enough to knock her out for like six months and an ankle that needed surgery and she's like "Yep, can't wait to be back playing in March."
She's a sicko and it's awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad