Supplemental Prospect Rankings: Ryan Lindgren

Where would you fit Ryan Lindgren into our prospect rankings had he qualified?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Feel like he should be ahead of Schneider, but not before Miller due to Miller's upside and potential top pairing status. Lindgren already looks like he could be a solid #4 in the very near future, if not already. Have to see another season from him, but he's a guy that is at least a 3rd pairing guy on a good team right now with the chance to move into a top 4 role. I think if Schneider turns into the player Lindgren is already and has the chance to be, we would be quite happy with the return on that pick.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have him 8th less because there is anything wrong with him as a prospect and more because I just really like Schneider and Robertson’s upside.

Honestly, the last time we would’ve been able to do this type of list with young players and prospects in one pool would’ve been around 90 or 91 when you would’ve had young talents like Leetch, Turcotte, Richter, etc. with prospects like Weight, Amonte, Kovalev, etc.

Heck, even Adam Graves was only 23 when we acquired him. Only a few months older than Gauthier is now.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Speaking of Gauthier, what a frustrating kid. Just feels like a player that will never bear fruit for this organization. He'll figure it out once he's practically a UFA.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the player he should eventually become. I just don't think it will be for us. Takes care of himself, though. I could see him playing in the league for a long time.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Went with 8 more out of the risk factors still attributed to the others, rather than much perceived upside beyond where he already is as a player.
This is an interesting issue. I guess the question is, what do you consider upside? Sheer offense? Or continuing to grow and become more of a shutdown, 2nd pairing dman? Or even someone you can pair with a real #1? To me, there's lots of value for such a defenseman.

As for comparing him with Schneider, that is a pure thought exercise. Unlike Schneider, Lindgren is already here and is doing it. And doing it fairly well.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is an interesting issue. I guess the question is, what do you consider upside? Sheer offense? Or continuing to grow and become more of a shutdown, 2nd pairing dman? Or even someone you can pair with a real #1? To me, there's lots of value for such a defenseman.

As for comparing him with Schneider, that is a pure thought exercise. Unlike Schneider, Lindgren is already here and is doing it. And doing it fairly well.

For me, it varies. But sometimes I have to balance what someone is doing at the NHL level vs. what a prospect could do at the NHL level, and how likely they are to do it.

In this case, I find Robertson and Schneider to have more dynamic tools with which to work, while acknowleding they are are performing at a lower level than Lindgren (and are 3 or 3.5 years younger).

Sometimes I ask myself who I would pick if all the players were listed in a free-for-all roster draft --- taking into account current contributions and projected contributions. In that scenario I'd have a hard time passing on what I think Schneider and Robertson can become vs. what I think Lindgren can become.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Speaking of Gauthier, what a frustrating kid. Just feels like a player that will never bear fruit for this organization. He'll figure it out once he's practically a UFA.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the player he should eventually become. I just don't think it will be for us. Takes care of himself, though. I could see him playing in the league for a long time.

Admitedly, I can see a lot of those aspects based on the type of player he is, how he's progressed from juniors to the minors, etc.

I see a lot of Marcel Hossa in him.

Reactions: Kendo

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

He has played 12 games for the team mostly on the 4th line. Why would it seem like he will never figure it out for this team?

Reactions: Kupo and Rangers743

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Admitedly, I can see a lot of those aspects based on the type of player he is, how he's progressed from juniors to the minors, etc.

I see a lot of Marcel Hossa in him.
He is one of those that will be facing an "up or out" situation.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

He's barely been with the Rangers - I don't get how you could grow frustrated with him in such a short period of time.

Reactions: Kupo

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
He has played 12 games for the team mostly on the 4th line. Why would it seem like he will never figure it out for this team?
There was so much hesitation in his game for a kid that's a 3rd year pro. He's still very raw after all that time in the AHL. I don't expect a kid to be a finished product at 23, but I expect them to know what kind of player they are, even if their game will need tweaking to adapt to the NHL.

I'm wrong about a lot of things hockey-related. I could certainly be wrong about Gauthier. I just don't think, with the logjam on the wings, he's going to get the minutes he needs to really develop into what he could be anytime soon. He keeps himself in insane shape, though. And he's been pretty much injury-free. I could see him being one of those guys that doesn't figure it all out until their late 20s, then ends up playing another 10 years at a high level. It's just a sense I get.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I have been excited about Lindgren when the Rangers got him from the B's in the Nash deal and have felt he was under the radar since he got here.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Yeah, I'm not understanding what would make Gauthier frustrating at this point, especially to a Rangers fan.
Some players you just get that sense with. Maybe it's irrational, but I didn't need to watch Chris Higgins for more than 5 games to know he was going to be frustrating in a Rangers sweater. Add Enver Lisin, Wojtek Wolski, Matt Gilroy, John Mitchell, and Erik Christensen if you really want to get a feel for the kinds of players I'm talking about. Players that you just felt in your bones weren't going to be able to find a role where they could be truly effective.

Just sharing some unfiltered thoughts. I hope I'm very wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Some players you just get that sense with. Maybe it's irrational, but I didn't need to watch Chris Higgins for more than 5 games to know he was going to be frustrating in a Rangers sweater. Add Enver Lisin, Wojtek Wolski, Matt Gilroy, John Mitchell, and Erik Christensen if you really want to get a feel for the kinds of players I'm talking about. Players that you just felt in your bones weren't going to be able to find a role where they could be truly effective.

Just sharing some unfiltered thoughts. I hope I'm very wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

And I have to tell everyone, I kind of get where this is coming from with Gauthier.

I have to admit, that most times when I watch him --- going beyond the NHL, he feels like he has more in common with the Lisins, Wolskis, Hossas or our past than some of the other prospects where have on our list. There's the weird sense of deja vu that he's one of those guys who have enough cards in their hand where it looks like there could be a play, but more often than not it doesn't really materialize.

And kind of like Hossa 15 years ago, I feel like I'm not quite as hopeful as others on this particular kid.

It's hard to explain. It's kind of like having a sensory memory of something and kind of knowing how it will taste based off the smell while its still cooking.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
And I have to tell everyone, I kind of get where this is coming from with Gauthier.

I have to admit, that most times when I watch him --- going beyond the NHL, he feels like he has more in common with the Lisins, Wolskis, Hossas or our past than some of the other prospects where have on our list. There's the weird sense of deja vu that he's one of those guys who have enough cards in their hand where it looks like there could be a play, but more often than not it doesn't really materialize.

And kind of like Hossa 15 years ago, I feel like I'm not quite as hopeful as others on this particular kid.

It's hard to explain. It's kind of like having a sensory memory of something and kind of knowing how it will taste based off the smell while its still cooking.

Lisin, Wolski, Hossa, all were put in a position to succeed based on what they did prior to joining the Rangers. The only opportunity Gauthier got so far was on a 4th line. To make it clear I don't advocate to give Gauthier more ice time and more prominent roles without first earning it but I wanted to differentiate between him at this point and these failures from the past.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
And just to try and explain a little further. It's not a 1-to-1 analogy, but Gauthier at age 22 and with nearly 3 full seasons as a pro, to me, looked a whole lot like what Chytil looked like during his 9 game NHL stint at age 18. I just expected more, I guess. I really do hope I'm wrong. As a Ranger fan, I want nothing but success for the kid.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lisin, Wolski, Hossa, all were put in a position to succeed based on what they did prior to joining the Rangers. The only opportunity Gauthier got so far was on a 4th line. To make it clear I don't advocate to give Gauthier more ice time and more prominent roles without first earning it but I wanted to differentiate between him at this point and these failures from the past.

I get that, but if I am honestly looking at his work in the Q and the AHL, there are a lot of similarities there and I think that's why there is this lingering sense that the result could be similar.

I think Gauthier will get a legit look this season if he comes in ready to compete. He could be someone who benefits from the need/desire to balance lines --- especially with regards to the RW.

But he's also a guy whose results can vary widely and who often leaves you wanting more. So the timing of how/when he showcases his skills will be key.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I get that, but if I am honestly looking at his work in the Q and the AHL, there are a lot of similarities there and I think that's why there is this lingering sense that the result could be similar.

I think Gauthier will get a legit look this season if he comes in ready to compete. He could be someone who benefits from the need/desire to balance lines --- especially with regards to the RW.

But he's also a guy whose results can vary widely and who often leaves you wanting more. So the timing of how/when he showcases his skills will be key.

Yeah, based on what I saw I'm pretty sure there's an NHLer there. Whether he could push himself into top-6 discussion (even if he plays behind other forwards) or top-9, or just become a useful cheap 4th liner is still to come. At worse his cap hit relative to his role will not be deterrent.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, based on what I saw I'm pretty sure there's an NHLer there. Whether he could push himself into top-6 discussion (even if he plays behind other forwards) or top-9, or just become a useful cheap 4th liner is still to come. At worse his cap hit relative to his role will not be deterrent.

Ultimately, Gauthier is a bit of a mystery prize. Push comes to shove I think he finds a roll as a third line RW who can punch in some points and slide up from time to time.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Speaking of Marcel Hossa.

#WeAlwaysGetTheWrongBrother

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Gauthier just turned 23 and has 20 career games played at the NHL level. What are we even talking about here lol?

Let the kid play a full season or two before we start getting concerned about his future. If anything, I feel like he should be trending up based on how he played in the Carolina series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad