Superstars with Stanley Cups: specific years?

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
canada-2017-beliveau.jpeg
canada-2017-howe.jpeg
canada-2017-richard.jpeg

Jean Beliveau, Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard are all celebrating with Stanley Cups... Trouble is, all of them won the Cup multiple times... What years are pictured? Thank you.

Reactions: Killion

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
If a hi-res photo is available, you could zoom to look at the last inscription beside the empty space on the Cup in the 3rd row from the bottom for the Beliveau photo.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Beliveau appears to be 1965. You can see a blank spot on the third band of the Cup that looks big enough for two more engravings. Every 13th year, a band gets filled up. We know that this just occurred, so working backwards 2018-2005-1992-1979-1966 are years where a band was engraved to completion. Spring of 1965 should have indeed had two blank spaces remaining.

We can also see a minimum of 4 engravings on that same band in the picture with the Rocket. 1954 should be the first year on that band, so at minimum the picture must be from after the 1957 engraving took place. The Cup changed looks in the mid 50s (you can tell in the picture of Howe), and it appears that it was in 1957 that this took place, based on Montreal team pictures from the era. So despite the first engraving on that ring being from 1954, that change was apparently retroactive, and the Cup indeed still had the previous appearance prior to 1957. So we can`t rule out the picture of Howe being from 1954 or 1955.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Beliveau appears to be 1965. You can see a blank spot on the third band of the Cup that looks big enough for two more engravings. Every 13th year, a band gets filled up. We know that this just occurred, so working backwards 2018-2005-1992-1979-1966 are years where a band was engraved to completion. Spring of 1965 should have indeed had two blank spaces remaining.

We can also see a minimum of 4 engravings on that same band in the picture with the Rocket. 1954 should be the first year on that band, so at minimum the picture must be from after the 1957 engraving took place. The Cup changed looks in the mid 50s (you can tell in the picture of Howe), and it appears that it was in 1957 that this took place, based on Montreal team pictures from the era. So despite the first engraving on that ring being from 1954, that change was apparently retroactive, and the Cup indeed still had the previous appearance prior to 1957. So we can`t rule out the picture of Howe being from 1954 or 1955.

2005 might throw that off by one year.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
No wedding ring would date the Howe shot to before 1953.

I would guess 1950, when the Wings won without Howe in the finals. Hence the suit and tie. I'm just not sure if Howe was present at the final game or still in hospital. It definitely looks like a post-game, on-ice shot. Then again, I don't think on-ice cellys and photos with the Cup were customary at the time (except for the captain), so this is just a guess.

Reactions: Pasha71

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
The left hand? Yes. Of course. Never mind me.

EDIT: Wait. The photo could be inversed, like a mirror image. The left hand appearing on his right side. Ha! That's the ticket.

Whew! That was close.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks the Cup is kinda ugly?

Not the actual cup though on the top, that’s a pretty nice cup, but the whole big thing below it.

It kinda looks like something that could have crash-landed alongside the Predator in the Central American jungle around 1987.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Not the actual cup though on the top, that’s a pretty nice cup, but the whole big thing below it.

It kinda looks like something that could have crash-landed alongside the Predator in the Central American jungle around 1987.

..... :laugh: alrighty then.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Right, but then why isn't Gord?

A quick Google search turned up no photos of Gordie Howe in uniform with the Stanley Cup. Some group pictures and ones from more recent times, but nothing similar to the Beliveau and Richard pictures. Either no appropriate photo exists, or it is not in the public domain if it does.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
These are just guesses, but pretty good ones too because I have them narrowed down.

Beliveau is 1965. He is captain after 1961, and that means he wins the Cup 5 times as a captain. Of those times they won as a captain in 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969 and 1971 only 1965 and 1968 are at home. At this time the home team is still wearing the dark jerseys. By 1971 the road team is winning the dark jerseys and the Habs won the Cup in 1971 on the road, but that is not a 1971 Beliveau with a crop cut. It looks a lot like 1965 to me. 1956, '57 and '59 are the other times Beliveau won the Cup at home and had the darker jersey. He just doesn't look that young in the picture. That is definitely a captain Beliveau era picture. So 1965 or 1968. Probably the former.

Howe is 1950. His hair is cut really short there and it wasn't by the mid 1950s. Plus he is in his suit, which would explain things since he was injured for the 1950 finals.

Richard it is harder to tell, but it is definitely one of the later Cup years. Bouchard was captain in 1956, but Richard was the next 4 years straight. This looks a bit like a photo shoot, so him wearing the "home" jersey doesn't necessarily mean it is 1957 or '59. I just know for sure it is between 1957-'60 because he is captain.

Reactions: Pasha71

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
What you say about injury and his wearing a suit makes sense, but it looks like his hairline is receding a bit. Gordie was barely 22 in 1950. Is that how he looked?

... what'd'you mean "is that how he looked in 1950"? Pictures dont lie. Gordie did have a major receding hairline. Thats beyond a so called "Widows Peak". That style of haircut was fairly popular following the War, essentially a Buzz Cut however as the 50's progressed sure, ya, mens cuts a bit longer..... Teams however, they did demand in most cases (Toronto in particular) borderline military compliance (and into the 60's under Imlach) in terms of personal grooming. Facial hair frowned upon, anything beyond the collar a crime, fined.... Gordie, he had a weird lookin skull as it was. As a younger Man, Pea sized Bullet Head on an ox's body, then when he aged, got older, like someone blew his head up with a bicycle tire & combover.... kinda like Sylvester Stallone (sans the combover) if youve seen him of late? Uh? Whats thatr all about?. Guys head looks like its about to explode. Hideous. Steven Segal as well.... Mick Jagger. Too much psi or whatever.... nuts.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA

upload_2018-10-20_21-21-59.jpeg

Yes, the Stanley Cup pales in comparison, non? :naughty:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Who wouldn't take a shot in the kisser for the right to have that on the mantle piece? No trophey case at all needed, no clutter, just sitting by itself so the entire piece breathes with space.... speaks for itself in so many ways, one for the ages as the stories behind it surely are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad