Superstars in the NHL without glaring weakness

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Laine with Wheelers speed
Laine beat Mackinnon in the speed race at the ASG tournament, I'd rather see him with someone like McDavid's acceleration. He's pretty fast at top speed, but he's sluggish getting there. Quicker feet would also help him win more board battles with better body positioning.

Reactions: tomi2

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Monahan has no glaring flaws. Like he isn't the quickest guy agility wise, but his skating is an NHL level and his top speed is good. Good in the dot, elite shot, underrated play making, underrated skill, doesn't take penalties (like 5? a year at most).

Tkachuk in 2 years will be the same but even better once his skating improves.

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
I don't understand if you are looking for a player who has no weaknesses or a player who has one weakness and if he didn't have it he would be so much better. So I will give an example for both scenarios.

Player with no weakness - Patrice Bergeron
Player with weakness - Boeser with elite speed

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
As a Jets fan...

Laine with great/good skating would probably be Top 5(I’d imagine he’d probably be as good as or better than Kucherov), Ehlers with better Defensive awarness(not Top 5 league wide but he’d probably be a Top 5 Winger), Morrissey with a better stick movement accuracy(both shot and passing) would probably make him a 1D IMO..

That said Scheifele and Wheeler have no weakness, also Connor for a rookie really did not have any weaknesses either(great shot, great speed/skating, amazing hands, very good Offensive awareness, decent defensive IQ, very good board play), aside from some inconsistency now and then Byfuglien can overall look like the best player on the ice at times due to his overall skillset(but when he’s lazy or off his game he’s not very good) so I guess consistency would do the trick for him.

Reactions: tomi2 and amethyst

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Laine beat Mackinnon in the speed race at the ASG tournament, I'd rather see him with someone like McDavid's acceleration. He's pretty fast at top speed, but he's sluggish getting there. Quicker feet would also help him win more board battles with better body positioning.
Laine has nice edge work but he could definitely use some dynamite to the first steps.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Tuomo Ruutu and Lauri Tukonen without injury problems
Agree about Ruutu. Tukonen however never showed anything to justify his draft position. Just terrible scouting.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I'd go with Scheifele. He has good speed and acceleration. His board work is very good. Can and is a play driver. Excellent passer/playmaker with a great shot. Effort is always there and a very high hockey IQ. Average face off but has improved every year. In other word he has no glaring weakness but can produce at a PPG rate.

Reactions: Toene

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
The only player I can think of that fits thiss bill is Fedorov.
Bure acceleration and speed.
Make any pass.
A complet thief at stealing pucks.
Killed penalties.
Norris caliber defence when put on the blue line.
100+slapshot.
Forehand /backhand shot.
Durable.
Dude was made in a test tube to be the perfect hockey player.
Mario /Wayne and many other superstars were great at most things but no other player had the tools Fedorov had.Most of that had to do with Feds skating ,hands down the best skater the NHL has ever seen.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Crosby is very well rounded. His biggest weakness is that he seems like a tool/has a punchable face so people want to dislike him.

His shot is his biggest weakness. His deflections and net front stuff is great, best in the league, his wrist shot and slap shot are average/to below average at best. Last season he scored 29 goals, one slap shot goal and four wrist shot goals, everything else was a deflection, an empty netter or a goal he banked off someone into the net. That being said, they all count.

But I do agree he seems like a tool. ;)

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Skating backwards ?
His defence ?
Killing penalties ?

uh...his Defense is fine..very good when it matters come playoffs. Far from a weakness...maybe you're confused on the word "weakness"

finished 9th,10th and 7th in selke voting the past three years....wow what a weakness, LMAO.

His Skating is amazing in all aspects .

He could easily kill penalties if put their and be really good at it.
But why would a coach waste a stars minutes PKing when a 4th liner could do it?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
uh...his Defense is fine..very good when it matters come playoffs. Far from a weakness...maybe you're confused on the word "weakness"

finished 9th,10th and 7th in selke voting the past three years....wow what a weakness, LMAO.

His Skating is amazing in all aspects .

He could easily kill penalties if put their and be really good at it.
But why would a coach waste a stars minutes PKing when a 4th liner could do it?
His skating forward is good but in reverse I don't think he looks comfortable.
As far as PK idk..I don't see him do it,some guys are better than others so it is a skill.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
His skating forward is good but in reverse I don't think he looks comfortable.
As far as PK idk..I don't see him do it,some guys are better than others so it is a skill.

He was a consistent PKer for the Penguins until 2010(around a min per game). So he can do it. Crosby would no doubt still be a good PKer today. If 4th liners can do it, then so can Crosby. It's just that it isn't very smart to waste your superstars minutes on the PK. Also You don't want Crosby out there blocking shots.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah not to turn this into a Crosby thread but he's probably not the best player to discuss here. He's extremely well rounded tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad