Superstar Mitch Marner (Appreciation Thread)

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Compared to Matthews, Marner is faster, has better vision, passes better, has better edges, plays harder and is better defensively.

Matthews has a better shot, protects the puck better, possibly better at takeaways, and....?

I like Marner as a player much more. He's just more dynamic. Kid's a treat to watch.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Aren't we already there?

Matthews has an amazing shot. Other than that, he is often out of position, chasing the play, lazy.

Matthews has a generational skillset, but unfortunately his vision and hockey sense are just average, and perhaps worsened by him trying too hard to be a good defensive player.

Broadly speaking, it feels like when the other team has the puck Marner focuses on blocking passing lanes, whereas Matthews focuses on blocking skating lanes. As a result, Marner causes turnovers and interceptions leading to chances, whereas Matthews just causes dump ins.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Haha on posters attempting to take a shot at Matthews. Matthews is a player right now playing with the wrong ideal right winger presently.

Somebody try guessing why Nylander doesn't play with Matthews in overtime tonight against the Canucks????

Babcock really needs to be called out on his line choices, so I will call him out. Its bad coaching.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Compared to Matthews, Marner is faster, has better vision, passes better, has better edges, plays harder and is better defensively.

Matthews has a better shot, protects the puck better, possibly better at takeaways, and....?

I like Marner as a player much more. He's just more dynamic. Kid's a treat to watch.
Matthews is much, much better at both his shot and at finding scoring positions. He isn't better at the takeaways, not enough to be worth mentioning. Nylander, Matthews, and Marner are all terrific at this. Willy was even top 5 in the league in adjusted takeaways last season. Not sure how Tavares did at that.

But there's something people need to remember when comparing Marner and Matthews. For Marner to have an impact offensively, he needs to get the puck and have it on his stick. He's a playmaker, he needs the puck to make plays. That means that when you focus on just the immediate play, you will notice Marner all the time. That's how he makes us dangerous offensively. Matthews can do that too, but Marner is significantly better at it. What Matthews can do though is to ghost away from the play, find soft areas, and utilize whatever little space and time they give him to release a shot that few in this league can match. And that's an immensely valuable offensive ability, something that isn't as overt but equally valuable.

Another way to look at it is that you have chance generation and shooting talent, analytically speaking. Marner generates a ton of chances, but Matthews is right behind him with Tavares and Nylander not far behind. But what Matthews provides as well is a huge boost to the shooting talent of the line, which means that the line is more likely to score on the chances they generate, simply by virtue of his shot.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
A season where Marner is clearly better than Matthews, thats for sure. In fact, he is better than anyone.
They are pacing for almost the same point totals. They are virtually side by side in their underlying metrics. Marner does it playing with a franchise center of his own.

Marner has made this a legitimate question. He's not the definite answer.

Reactions: 7even and Walshy7

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Reactions: cannucky

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
Matthews has a generational skillset, but unfortunately his vision and hockey sense are just average, and perhaps worsened by him trying too hard to be a good defensive player.

Broadly speaking, it feels like when the other team has the puck Marner focuses on blocking passing lanes, whereas Matthews focuses on blocking skating lanes. As a result, Marner causes turnovers and interceptions leading to chances, whereas Matthews just causes dump ins.

Idk what you are talking about Matthews is a god a takeaways and outworks the best of them along the board. He’s a little streaky for sure but he’s still 21 years old.

I’m assuming you’re just salty from last nights loss.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Idk what you are talking about Matthews is a god a takeaways and outworks the best of them along the board. He’s a little streaky for sure but he’s still 21 years old.

I’m assuming you’re just salty from last nights loss.

That's EXACTLY my point. Matthews goes man on man, which means while he gets lots of takeaways he's usually covered quickly. Marner instead gets loose pucks and pass interceptions, which gives him more open ice, which is why he's more dangerous.

It's the old Gretzky go to where the puck is going to be (Marner) not where it is (Matthews) mantra.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That's EXACTLY my point. Matthews goes man on man, which means while he gets lots of takeaways he's usually covered quickly. Marner instead gets loose pucks and pass interceptions, which gives him more open ice, which is why he's more dangerous.

It's the old Gretzky go to where the puck is going to be (Marner) not where it is (Matthews) mantra.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Matthews is much, much better at both his shot and at finding scoring positions. He isn't better at the takeaways, not enough to be worth mentioning. Nylander, Matthews, and Marner are all terrific at this. Willy was even top 5 in the league in adjusted takeaways last season. Not sure how Tavares did at that.

But there's something people need to remember when comparing Marner and Matthews. For Marner to have an impact offensively, he needs to get the puck and have it on his stick. He's a playmaker, he needs the puck to make plays. That means that when you focus on just the immediate play, you will notice Marner all the time. That's how he makes us dangerous offensively. Matthews can do that too, but Marner is significantly better at it. What Matthews can do though is to ghost away from the play, find soft areas, and utilize whatever little space and time they give him to release a shot that few in this league can match. And that's an immensely valuable offensive ability, something that isn't as overt but equally valuable.

Another way to look at it is that you have chance generation and shooting talent, analytically speaking. Marner generates a ton of chances, but Matthews is right behind him with Tavares and Nylander not far behind. But what Matthews provides as well is a huge boost to the shooting talent of the line, which means that the line is more likely to score on the chances they generate, simply by virtue of his shot.

Marner the winger plays like a setup centre and mathews the centre plays like a sniper/winger. I would like to see more of them on the same line. Personally I think Marner is the better 200ft player, harder worker etc. But and its a big one, Mathews and that deceptive release where he changes the angle ever so slightly is almost unstoppable. He can coast for 90 percent of the game and beat you on 2 shifts. They really complement each other.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
A Marner appreciation thread that's not even 3 pages long. With a plethora of "he's better than Matthews" posts.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Marner the winger plays like a setup centre and mathews the centre plays like a sniper/winger. I would like to see more of them on the same line. Personally I think Marner is the better 200ft player, harder worker etc. But and its a big one, Mathews and that deceptive release where he changes the angle ever so slightly is almost unstoppable. He can coast for 90 percent of the game and beat you on 2 shifts. They really complement each other.
Well said.

Reactions: Menzinger

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Hey, both are Leafs so I don't' don't know Leaf fans always need to debate who's better on their own team. Matthew is a great player. Marner is a great player. The great news is they are both franchise players we drafted and will be Leafs for a long time. The only question Leaf fans should be concerned about they better then the rest of NHL stars in the playoffs so we can win a cup?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Doesn't it seem like when one is going the other is slumping? I think it's why every Marner / Matthews thread turns into a comparison because they're almost never going at the same time.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I usually don't like the way some posters dismiss what having a Tavares to play with means to your game, but not tonight. Tavares was a no show, and Marner made that line dangerous single-handedly.
He produced at the same rate with Kadri last year. People need to remember that and in last years playoffs with a cast off. He create his own offence.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Fair to say he's turned out better than most initially thought. Don't think anybody had him pegged as a 90-100 point scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad