Superstar Mitch Marner (Appreciation Thread)

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Matthews is probably better, will get paid more, but I think you can say Marner is just as important to the team. He really drives play and sets a great work ethic.

I am very appreciative that we get to watch this guy as Leafs fans, enjoy his game it doesn't come around often.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Might also add that the kid was born at the perfect time. Imagine arriving to the league and this team about 6-8 years earlier.

Not only the game has changed since but our management and the whole environment would have ruined this amazing and special talent to the ground. What a nightmare to even think about this.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Marner's ask was 9 million x 8 before this season but apparently 9 million is what he'd accept on a short term deal now.

Edit: According to Kypreos.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
The good thing about the Marner negotiations is that Rantanen, Laine, and Tkachuk are getting new contracts too. Might as well let them sign first and base his contract on theirs.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Marner's ask was 9 million x 8 before this season but apparently 9 million is what he'd accept on a short term deal now.

Edit: According to Kypreos.
i would have bought that rumor a lot easier if it came out in the summer and not mid Jan

seems like Dubas/Shanny are leaking bs to cover up for there incompetence in contract negotiations

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
i would have bought that rumor a lot easier if it came out in the summer and not mid Jan

seems like Dubas/Shanny are leaking bs to cover up for there incompetence in contract negotiations
Draisaitl makes 8.5.
Marner on pace for 30 goals, 100 points.
9 million isn’t to far off a guess.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Draisaitl makes 8.5.
Marner on pace for 30 goals, 100 points.
9 million isn’t to far off a guess.
like i said , this should have come out in the summer if it was true not now after people are asking why they didn't sign him before the season

Dubas/Shanny have been incompetent handling these negotiations and it's going to cost us the majority of our depth .

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Finally. I've said we should have a real appreciation thread for Marner since the start of the season. I can't say a bad word about the kid right now. The worst I've got is that he sometimes takes a bit long shifts. The rest is just love.

Don't sweat the contract. Whatever he eventually gets, we'll make it work by shuffling other pieces.

Reactions: Smif and Lauro

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
This Marner goal is a reason why he needs to keep shooting the puck a lot more.

Good to see him shoot more because it keeps the goaltender and opposition guessing. If he continues to do this I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 35 goals by the end of the season. JT is an elite passer so Mitch will get more than his fair share of good opportunities.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Good to see him shoot more because it keeps the goaltender and opposition guessing. If he continues to do this I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 35 goals by the end of the season. JT is an elite passer so Mitch will get more than his fair share of good opportunities.
If Marner keeps up his current pace 35 goals would be great, however I would be happy with 25-30, which is still more than his career high of 22 of last season.

Reactions: Melo Meds

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
It’s too bad that marner will always be in the shadow of Matthews. He deserves to be at the all star game before anyone on this team. There is no one on the leafs better at seeing the game and making plays out of nothing. His talent is insane and he has a constant motor.

Last night he passed the puck to I think Gardiner and at the last minute the puck bounced over his stick and the New Jersey player had a chance for a two on one but marner anticipated the play and was already coming back to cover the second New Jersey player.

He is our best player and by that I mean he makes anyone playing on his line better. As far as I’m concerned Matthews hasn’t the same drive as Mitch.

Last year in the playoffs against Boston their coach said it the best

We keep knocking marner down but he gets right back up. He is like a hound on the puck. He wants it.
I remember Cassidy telling the media during that series that he sometimes catches himself just watching marner play during the game at times, or something funny like that.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
My favourite hockey player by far right now. When I have to fast forward because I don't have enough time to watch the whole game in the morning, I at least try to watch every second with Mitch on the ice.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm going to take a second to gloat here... All offseason I maintained that Marner is likely closer to Matthews than he was Nylander, but people kept thinking I was wrong...

Speculation: - Nylander Contract Discussion Pt II - Any Day Now...

Walshy7 said:
Marner is closer to nylander 8 more points than him that is all. Matthews was ppg and has 40 goal and 34 goal seasons already and most importantly plays center a 1c is far more important than a 1rw. Marner is ahead of nylander as of right now, no doubt but it’s not by much and Matthews is far ahead of both

AnishLoomba said:
no, you really can't. marner is closer to nylander without a question and he may be behind nylander as well. marner faced far weaker competition than matthews and scored nearly a 3rd of his points on the powerplay....

Gabriel426 said:
Have to disagree with you, like others, I see Marner closer to Willie than Matthews.

Reactions: Smif

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Marner now has 82 points. The first player to do so since 2011. When he hits 83 points he will be the first player to do it for the Leafs in over 20 years when Sundin did it in 98-99!!

Congrats Mitchy!

Proud to say I was one of the ones that thought he had this in him since draft Day!!

Last edited:
Reactions: MyBudJT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->