Superstar Mitch Marner (Appreciation Thread)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

No what?

My question could be interpretted in a couple different ways, I guess.

I meant to ask if he's better than Patrick Kane now, which isn't an absurd question....

I could have framed the question another way... Will Marner become better than prime Patrick Kane? This is also a fair question, IMO.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Marner has achieved Patrick Kane levels in the regular season and now needs to sustain and match in the playoffs.

Marner has surpassed Jack Eichel, however.

He has surpassed everyone on our team. The guy is simply among the top 10 players in the league.

If you could have Gaudreau or Marner as your marquee player who do you pick?

Reactions: Lauro

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Marner will have to prove himself in the playoffs by setting up Tavares for 30 goals.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Marner will have to prove himself in the playoffs by setting up Tavares for 30 goals.
He will not have proved himself. People will be accused of recency bias if they make that claim. He has always lived in everyone's shadow. He always gives credit to his team mates too. Crazy thing is that he is likely to get the lowest term contract of Matty, Johnny and Willy and still act like a team guy, while leading points

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No what?

My question could be interpretted in a couple different ways, I guess.

I meant to ask if he's better than Patrick Kane now, which isn't an absurd question....

I could have framed the question another way... Will Marner become better than prime Patrick Kane? This is also a fair question, IMO.

IMO, i don't think we can say that till he has a big POs in the books , 13p in 13g is rock solid but that sample size is pretty small.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He has surpassed everyone on our team. The guy is simply among the top 10 players in the league.

If you could have Gaudreau or Marner as your marquee player who do you pick?

top 10 forwards i could get behind but not

top 10 player, there are some serious D and tenders to measure up against.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
First 200 NHL games:

Gaudreau [U22-U24 seasons]: 65 goals, 172 points, -1
Kane [U20-U22 seasons]: 64 goals, 184 points, +7
Marner [U20-U22 seasons]: 56 goals, 185 points, +15

Bewildering to me how fast everyone gets their panties in a bunch when you trot out the idea that Marner might peak higher than Gaudreau. Marner is pacing for 110 points at the same age Johnny Hockey scored 64.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Bewildering to me how fast everyone gets their panties in a bunch when you trot out the idea that Marner might peak higher than Gaudreau. Marner is pacing for 110 points at the same age Johnny Hockey scored 64.

do you think any panties would get into a knot if he was already inked for 8 years???

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I noticed those people who hate hearing that are obviously not Leafs fans and can't stand the idea that Marner is on track to becoming a better player, because they will have to admit the Leafs are doing well and made a great choice in drafting Marner.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
It’s too bad that marner will always be in the shadow of Matthews. He deserves to be at the all star game before anyone on this team. There is no one on the leafs better at seeing the game and making plays out of nothing. His talent is insane and he has a constant motor.

Last night he passed the puck to I think Gardiner and at the last minute the puck bounced over his stick and the New Jersey player had a chance for a two on one but marner anticipated the play and was already coming back to cover the second New Jersey player.

He is our best player and by that I mean he makes anyone playing on his line better. As far as I’m concerned Matthews hasn’t the same drive as Mitch.

Last year in the playoffs against Boston their coach said it the best

We keep knocking marner down but he gets right back up. He is like a hound on the puck. He wants it.

Reactions: mmalady and Lauro

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
He's unbelievable. Few people make that pass last night to Reilly, backhand, cross ice, tape to tape. Man what a play, what a player!

Reactions: Lauro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad