TV: Superman And Lois

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Started this week. Really liked the pilot. From the opening montages it was clear the creators know the history and love the character. Jonathan Kent was done justice, he taught Clack to use his powers and died from a natural cause. As did Martha. Could've used more color. It's a 15 episode season. Also, it seems this isn't in the CWverse as the proposal did not take place at the Fortress Of Solitude and Lois wasn't wearing the same dress Margot Kidder had in Superman The Movie, as was the case at the end of Elseworlds crossover. No indication of the twins being born in Argo either, as was the case at the end of Crisis. But yeah, really looking forward to more episodes.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I liked all the nods to past incarnation's of Superman.

not sure if I like the teenage angst shit thou--if I wanted it I would watch Riverdale-but I guess they need to update it

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I thought the Superman stuff was good. I think Tyler Hoechlin does a solid job in both parts of the role, and has enough of that sort of aww-shucks farmboy demeanor to make the cheesier aspects of the character work (the "cool costume/thanks. my mom made it for me" line at the start was great. As was the nice nod that it was a very golden age/fleischer cartoons design)

I've never particularly liked Elizabeth Tulloch all that much, even on Grim. She seems a bit stiff for my tastes and I sometimes wonder if she's had botox or something because she doesn't always have a very expressive face. I'd prefer Lois to be a bit spunkier/more fiery than she was (think Erica Durance in Smallville or Teri Hatcher in Lois & Clark), but she wasn't bad and she did balance out Clark/Supes decently well.

The twist at the end is weird because it makes it hard to figure out how this show fits with everything else. Are we back in another "elseworld" situation where the stuff we saw in Supergirl and the crossovers maybe doesn't count as 100% canon? That's a shame, because with Supergirl set to end I'd love to see this show migrate Jon Cryer over as a regular/semi regular if he's up for it. His Lex has been surprisingly entertaining.

But yeah, my big problem is the teen drama stuff with the kids. It's so cliched and predictable and over-wrought that I just don't want to deal with it every week. The kids are walking stock characters (the jerk jock and the angry troubled loner) the mental health angle is admirable but ham-fisted. The powers/no powers bit goes exactly how you'd expect it to go given the way they set it up. And like Lord Falstaff said, if I wanted teen drama I'd watch Riverdale. I do think the challenge of Clark trying to be a dad while being Superman and the potential experience of parenting kids with powers since he has them compared to Jonathan raising him with no clue what was going on is interesting. But I'd rather see that from Clark's perspective, not watching the kids treat him like a lying, distant deadbeat while we focus on embiggening their problems for dramatic effect.

Also as always it's hard to buy the kids' ages. There doesn't seem to be info out there about how old the actors are, but they look too old to be portraying 14-year-olds. They should've just made them 16 or 17. It feels like the only reason they made them that young was to accommodate the football sub-plot.

Also I'm curious why they didn't include Pete Ross among the familiar Smallville residents. Especially since comics Pete in some continuities ended up marrying Lana. Though I guess they wanted Lana's husband to be a new character so they could make him antagonistic to the Kents moving back from Metropolis and that wouldn't fly with Pete given that he's Clark's childhood friend. Maybe they have other plans for his character?

Finally I didn't clue in until after the episode that Martha was played by Michelle Scarabelli from the Alien Nation tv series and that one episode of Star Trek TNG where she her crew member character was in love with Data. I hadn't seen her in forever. I wish they had done more with her.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I thought the Superman stuff was good. I think Tyler Hoechlin does a solid job in both parts of the role, and has enough of that sort of aww-shucks farmboy demeanor to make the cheesier aspects of the character work (the "cool costume/thanks. my mom made it for me" line at the start was great. As was the nice nod that it was a very golden age/fleischer cartoons design)

I've never particularly liked Elizabeth Tulloch all that much, even on Grim. She seems a bit stiff for my tastes and I sometimes wonder if she's had botox or something because she doesn't always have a very expressive face. I'd prefer Lois to be a bit spunkier/more fiery than she was (think Erica Durance in Smallville or Teri Hatcher in Lois & Clark), but she wasn't bad and she did balance out Clark/Supes decently well.

The twist at the end is weird because it makes it hard to figure out how this show fits with everything else. Are we back in another "elseworld" situation where the stuff we saw in Supergirl and the crossovers maybe doesn't count as 100% canon? That's a shame, because with Supergirl set to end I'd love to see this show migrate Jon Cryer over as a regular/semi regular if he's up for it. His Lex has been surprisingly entertaining.

But yeah, my big problem is the teen drama stuff with the kids. It's so cliched and predictable and over-wrought that I just don't want to deal with it every week. The kids are walking stock characters (the jerk jock and the angry troubled loner) the mental health angle is admirable but ham-fisted. The powers/no powers bit goes exactly how you'd expect it to go given the way they set it up. And like Lord Falstaff said, if I wanted teen drama I'd watch Riverdale. I do think the challenge of Clark trying to be a dad while being Superman and the potential experience of parenting kids with powers since he has them compared to Jonathan raising him with no clue what was going on is interesting. But I'd rather see that from Clark's perspective, not watching the kids treat him like a lying, distant deadbeat while we focus on embiggening their problems for dramatic effect.

Also as always it's hard to buy the kids' ages. There doesn't seem to be info out there about how old the actors are, but they look too old to be portraying 14-year-olds. They should've just made them 16 or 17. It feels like the only reason they made them that young was to accommodate the football sub-plot.

Also I'm curious why they didn't include Pete Ross among the familiar Smallville residents. Especially since comics Pete in some continuities ended up marrying Lana. Though I guess they wanted Lana's husband to be a new character so they could make him antagonistic to the Kents moving back from Metropolis and that wouldn't fly with Pete given that he's Clark's childhood friend. Maybe they have other plans for his character?

Finally I didn't clue in until after the episode that Martha was played by Michelle Scarabelli from the Alien Nation tv series and that one episode of Star Trek TNG where she her crew member character was in love with Data. I hadn't seen her in forever. I wish they had done more with her.
From what I've been reading online, it's apparently not set in the Arrowverse.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
From what I've been reading online, it's apparently not set in the Arrowverse.

It makes sense from a story perspective and to give them the freedom to tell the tale they want without being tethered to like 10 years of canon from the rest of the CW shows, but they could've been clearer about it.

Also what's odd is

John Ramsey is confirmed to be both directing a future episode and appearing as Diggle. Sure it could be the parallel universe version of Diggle, but that almost makes things more confusing.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It makes sense from a story perspective and to give them the freedom to tell the tale they want without being tethered to like 10 years of canon from the rest of the CW shows, but they could've been clearer about it.

Also what's odd is

John Ramsey is confirmed to be both directing a future episode and appearing as Diggle. Sure it could be the parallel universe version of Diggle, but that almost makes things more confusing.

Fair point, although Ramsey isn't the first person to play the same character in multiple "universes."

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Fair point, although Ramsey isn't the first person to play the same character in multiple "universes."

True, but making your show confusingly not canon to the rest of the CW shows and then hiring a guy from the other CW shows to play his CWverse character (except not) seems needlessly confusing.

I hope that it is meant to be somewhat canon to the other series, just not slavishly so (hence why we're apparently in the future now with the kids grown up when last time we saw them they were just being born) because like I said I'd love Jon Cryer to be a recurring villain as Lex Even if it's just for major story arcs or a couple times a season.

And it wouldn't even have to involve the stuff we know so far given

I've seen a theory that "Captain Luthor" from the end of the pilot is a parallel universe version of the character, from a world where he's already fought and defeated Superman (hence why he knows so much about Supes already). It's even been suggested that he be the CW equivalent of Alexander Luthor from the Crime Syndicate universe, so the twist becomes that he's actually a good guy who, in his own reality, defeated an evil version of Superman. And so he comes to the Earth of the show not realizing that there are Superman versions that are good and heroic and not potentially going to turn to evil.

Also I screwed up. It's David Ramsey. not John. Getting the character mixed up with the actor :laugh:

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
True, but making your show confusingly not canon to the rest of the CW shows and then hiring a guy from the other CW shows to play his CWverse character (except not) seems needlessly confusing.

I hope that it is meant to be somewhat canon to the other series, just not slavishly so (hence why we're apparently in the future now with the kids grown up when last time we saw them they were just being born) because like I said I'd love Jon Cryer to be a recurring villain as Lex Even if it's just for major story arcs or a couple times a season.

And it wouldn't even have to involve the stuff we know so far given

I've seen a theory that "Captain Luthor" from the end of the pilot is a parallel universe version of the character, from a world where he's already fought and defeated Superman (hence why he knows so much about Supes already). It's even been suggested that he be the CW equivalent of Alexander Luthor from the Crime Syndicate universe, so the twist becomes that he's actually a good guy who, in his own reality, defeated an evil version of Superman. And so he comes to the Earth of the show not realizing that there are Superman versions that are good and heroic and not potentially going to turn to evil.

Also I screwed up. It's David Ramsey. not John. Getting the character mixed up with the actor :laugh:

I'm hopeful it'll be written well, whatever the case actually is. CW shows have a tendency of starting off really well with respect to writing, only to fall apart in later seasons.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Tyler Hoechlin is the best tv dad ever.

Also funny that while Supergirl was/is using Superman villains, Superman is now using Supergirl's villains.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Returned this week. This show succeeds in everything that MoS didn't. Jonathan is like Clark, while Jordan is like Lois. This is on such a different level than the other CW shows.

b102252a1641fa2646f4a6eb38bf47e6fc7c50de.gifv

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Returned this week. This show succeeds in everything that MoS didn't. Jonathan is like Clark, while Jordan is like Lois. This is on such a different level than the other CW shows.

b102252a1641fa2646f4a6eb38bf47e6fc7c50de.gifv

Yup, I am really enjoying the show too.

They did a great job with the Kent family and the plot is interesting.

The high school drama stuff does not take too much place.

Reactions: Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yup, I am really enjoying the show too.

They did a great job with the Kent family and the plot is interesting.

The high school drama stuff does not take too much place.

And unlike the stereotypical high school drama CW is notoriously known for, they made very clear from the start that Jordan's got anxieties. Usually the viewer is supposed to just assume that. Add in that he's like Lois, impulsive and stubborn, teenage hormons and evolving superpowers and you have a character that is waiting to pop in unexpected ways. It comes off a bit frustrating at times but they manage to make you understand him. Plus you have the best tv dad giving great speeches to teach him.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
And unlike the stereotypical high school drama CW is notoriously known for, they made very clear from the start that Jordan's got anxieties. Usually the viewer is supposed to just assume that. Add in that he's like Lois, impulsive and stubborn, teenage hormons and evolving superpowers and you have a character that is waiting to pop in unexpected ways. It comes off a bit frustrating at times but they manage to make you understand him. Plus you have the best tv dad giving great speeches to teach him.

Clark is just so Clark. They really wrote him well.

Jonathan is like an extension of Clark. Very similar views/attitudes.

The dynamic between the brothers is great because, well, it is a similar dynamic between Lois and Clark.

I really enjoy it so far.

Reactions: Jussi

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Show just keeps getting better. Bitsie Tulloch's acting in this week's episode... :amazed:

I love the relationship they are building with her son Jonathan. It was my favorite "Lois" episode so far. She got a lot of growth.

Of course, every personal conflict between the family members is too easily resolved, but it is a Superman show after all.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I love the relationship they are building with her son Jonathan. It was my favorite "Lois" episode so far. She got a lot of growth.

Of course, every personal conflict between the family members is too easily resolved, but it is a Superman show after all.

I think the conflicts have been resolved in a realistic fashion, as in they don't let things linger like typically in CW shows, but tackle them as quickly as they can.I find it very refreshing.

One of the best lines from Lois to Jonathan: "We are the extraordinary humans in a family of super people and we have to stick together."

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I think the conflicts have been resolved in a realistic fashion, as in they don't let things linger like typically in CW shows, but tackle them as quickly as they can.I find it very refreshing.

One of the best lines from Lois to Jonathan: "We are the extraordinary humans in a family of super people and we have to stick together."

Yeah, I LOVED that line too. Sooooooo Lois :laugh:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of the ending. I don't necessarily take the "brother" remark to mean they're literal brothers.

I really like this show and it keeps defying my expectations. At first I figured it as a more adult, nostalgia-fueled "Smallville" remake and to some extent I still think it was intended to capitalize on that, but it's got its own vibe and it goes a lot deeper. There's allegory to current politics and the tension between characters feels like it comes from a real place that is easily understandable from both sides. I love the Clark dad vibe and I even have gotten to the point where I like General Lane especially after this last episode when you finally get to see where he's coming from. The angsty teen stuff from the first few episodes did make me cringe, but that feels like it's falling away too. And I like the way they've handled the weekly villain/antagonist from week to week, letting it all build up to show you the bigger picture of what's really going on. It's really well done.

but that last reveal....whoooo boy. did not see that coming at all. For the first time in about 5 years, I find myself really thinking I can't wait until the next episode of this show to see what happens next.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Amazing episode this week. :amazed: Tyler Hoechlin did the first flight scene so much better than Henry Cavill. And I absolutely loved that Lois fell in love with Clark rather than Superman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad