Superleague Part III: Collapsed

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lmaooo at this point this saga is a better form of entertainment than the three amigos barca, madrid Juve football

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Reactions: maclean

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Crazy that the overwhelming social media reaction was still negative

I still wonder if they could've gotten away with it if they had proposed a viable relegation/promotion mechanism.

I suspect that the SL feeling like a closed-loop which would create a permanent footballing upper-class, motivated people even more than these clubs "betraying" their domestic leagues...so I have to wonder whether the backlash might not have been intense enough to kill it, had the SL been able to sell to people that other clubs would be able to work their way up and failing SL clubs would be able to fall out of it.

Of course, the big domestic leagues would never agree to work with the SL to make such a promotion/relegation mechanism possible...but it is something I wonder about; were we only saved by the greed of our national FAs?

Reactions: Evilo

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I still wonder if they could've gotten away with it if they had proposed a viable relegation/promotion mechanism. I suspect that the SL feeling like a closed-loop which would create a permanent footballing upper-class, motivated people even more than these clubs "betraying" their domestic leagues and that the response might not have been intense enough to kill it had the SL been able to sell to people that other clubs would be able to work their way up and failing SL clubs would be able to fall out of it.

Of course, the big domestic leagues would never agree to work with the SL to make such a promotion/relegation mechanism possible...but it is something I wonder about; were we only saved by the greed of our national FAs?
But that was the point. Maybe they try and gaslight everyone with a "success review period" for promotion over 20 years or something lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But that was the point. Maybe they try and gaslight everyone with a "success review period" for promotion over 20 years or something lol.

I know that was the main point of this venture, but I worry that a league version of the CL which didn't include the "riff raff" from leagues that don't sell as well in tv-rights negotiations, could be a tempting cash grab even if it had some sort of promotion/relegation mechanism.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I still wonder if they could've gotten away with it if they had proposed a viable relegation/promotion mechanism.

I suspect that the SL feeling like a closed-loop which would create a permanent footballing upper-class, motivated people even more than these clubs "betraying" their domestic leagues...so I have to wonder whether the backlash might not have been intense enough to kill it, had the SL been able to sell to people that other clubs would be able to work their way up and failing SL clubs would be able to fall out of it.

Agreed.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Sounds like it'll be re-launched soon.

From what I read, they are proposing a completely new format. An open one, with promo/rel. No more guarantees for anybody.

The goal here is really to cut out the middle man, UEFA.

Is it a good thing? No, because it will impact the rest of the football pyramid. Is it a GOOD business move for the giants? Probably.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I guess I'm part of a dying breed. I want clubs owned by the members playing domestic competitions and with 1-2 European tournaments - which you have to qualify to through the domestic competitions. If a big club misses out and therefore suffers financially - deal with it - it is part of the game.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I guess I'm part of a dying breed. I want clubs owned by the members playing domestic competitions and with 1-2 European tournaments - which you have to qualify to through the domestic competitions. If a big club misses out and therefore suffers financially - deal with it - it is part of the game.

I feel like most members of this forum, including me, agree with that position.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
From what I read, they are proposing a completely new format. An open one, with promo/rel. No more guarantees for anybody.

The goal here is really to cut out the middle man, UEFA.

Is it a good thing? No, because it will impact the rest of the football pyramid. Is it a GOOD business move for the giants? Probably.
Really confused how promotion/relegation works if they want to cut out UEFA...

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Pretty sure all PL teams have signed an agreement to not break away. Also believe that the government will have something prepared if they decide to go through with it. We'll see if that dissaudes them.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
  • 20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.
  • Midweek fixtures with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game.
  • An August start with clubs participating in two groups of ten, playing home and away fixtures, with the top three in each group automatically qualifying for the quarter finals. Teams finishing fourth and fifth will then compete in a two-legged play-off for the remaining quarter-final positions. A two-leg knockout format will be used to reach the final at the end of May, which will be staged as a single fixture at a neutral venue.
Some version of this I'm almost convinced will happen, unfortunately. Part of the fun is seeing teams like Ajax, Porto, Monaco etc. going on runs no-one expected. That will more or less be gone.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
  • 20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.
  • Midweek fixtures with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game.
  • An August start with clubs participating in two groups of ten, playing home and away fixtures, with the top three in each group automatically qualifying for the quarter finals. Teams finishing fourth and fifth will then compete in a two-legged play-off for the remaining quarter-final positions. A two-leg knockout format will be used to reach the final at the end of May, which will be staged as a single fixture at a neutral venue.
Some version of this I'm almost convinced will happen, unfortunately. Part of the fun is seeing teams like Ajax, Porto, Monaco etc. going on runs no-one expected. That will more or less be gone.

Ok, so it is NOT really open. Sucks. Thank you for the clarification.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
From a leaked document:

upload_2022-3-3_14-49-34.png

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I will give them this - if teams like Ajax were among the 15 that would give Ajax real possibilities to once again consistently compete at the highest level. But in reality if you are not among the 15, which seemingly are always in, you are basically out.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Terrible that this is coming up again. The timing is laughably bad....

Football does not need this right now!

Reactions: maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad