TV: Supergirl season 6

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wow, that was an intense episode with some eerie/somewhat scary real life parallels thrown in with the background on Agent Liberty. Sam Witwer did a good job. And IronSupergirl looked cool. If Brainiac throws in a gimmick/copyright infringement line next week, I'll die from laughing. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Haven't watched since season 1, but seeing how much most of the cast seems to hate Vancouver I wonder if a lot of characters are starting to be killed off.

Aside from Calista Flockheart not moving north, who hates Vancouver? The only person I've seen online make a big deal out of filming the assorted CW DC shows there was Dominic Purcell (from Legends of Tomorrow) who complained about (surprise!) the weather. There have certainly been people that say it's awkward moving across the continent for work or that they're just there to work and aren't necessarily looking to move their life since their home is somewhere else, but I've not seen too much complaining where anyone outright says they don't want to be there at all.

Also nobody's been killed off on Supergirl. A couple of characters left with the possibility to return or because they got jobs elsewhere, and some short-term castings finished their runs, but they don't appear to be hemorrhaging cast members. If anything it's going in the opposite direction as they continue to pack in new regulars and heavily-recurring guests.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Aside from Calista Flockheart not moving north, who hates Vancouver? The only person I've seen online make a big deal out of filming the assorted CW DC shows there was Dominic Purcell (from Legends of Tomorrow) who complained about (surprise!) the weather. There have certainly been people that say it's awkward moving across the continent for work or that they're just there to work and aren't necessarily looking to move their life since their home is somewhere else, but I've not seen too much complaining where anyone outright says they don't want to be there at all.

Also nobody's been killed off on Supergirl. A couple of characters left with the possibility to return or because they got jobs elsewhere, and some short-term castings finished their runs, but they don't appear to be hemorrhaging cast members. If anything it's going in the opposite direction as they continue to pack in new regulars and heavily-recurring guests.

Admitting, I dont have blatant proof that the cast hates Vancouver. Rather, I went through a bunch of cast members Instagram pages and noticed that they tend to post nature pics of every location they go to. Very few of them have been of Vancouver nor do they ever comment on Vancouver. Coupled with Flockharts distaste for the city along with other CW type actors like that Riverdale kid I just somewhat jumped to the conclusion that they hated Vancity.

IDK, I guess I'm insecure about my home province :/

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Admitting, I dont have blatant proof that the cast hates Vancouver. Rather, I went through a bunch of cast members Instagram pages and noticed that they tend to post nature pics of every location they go to. Very few of them have been of Vancouver nor do they ever comment on Vancouver. Coupled with Flockharts distaste for the city along with other CW type actors like that Riverdale kid I just somewhat jumped to the conclusion that they hated Vancity.

Maybe they just hate big cities. Having lived on The Island, the only thing I liked about Vancouver was Horseshoe Bay? :laugh:
Just kidding of course, it's a beautiful city, but I wouldn't live there. Give me Nanaimo any day.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

That's some pretty flimsy evidence. They're probably posting nature photos when they go somewhere because it's new. But they'll see Vancouver every day.

Also Flockhart didn't bail on the show because she dislikes Vancouver. She just didn't want to move from Los Angeles. I should've phrased my post better in that regard.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
That's some pretty flimsy evidence. They're probably posting nature photos when they go somewhere because it's new. But they'll see Vancouver every day.

Also Flockhart didn't bail on the show because she dislikes Vancouver. She just didn't want to move from Los Angeles. I should've phrased my post better in that regard.

All good, I admit it actually sounded like dumb evidence when I was typing it out lol.

Maybe they just hate big cities. Having lived on The Island, the only thing I liked about Vancouver was Horseshoe Bay? :laugh:
Just kidding of course, it's a beautiful city, but I wouldn't live there. Give me Nanaimo any day.

Agreed. Love Vancouver but couldn't live there. Even if it wasn't as expensive as it is I'd probably live in New Westminster or Langley rather than Vancouver.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The cross-over ended on Supergirl ("I hope this doesn't become an annual thing" :laugh: ) and honestly this one was the best yet. SOOOOOO much fan service. I'm guessing Superman being gone on Argos with pregnant Lois could be the rumoured spinoff show (Tyler Hoechlin definitely deserves his own Superman show, one of the best casting ever and performance as well). And Lois wearing the same outfit as Margot Kidder on Superman - The Movie... :eek:

What was that hammer Lois had?

Crisis On Infinite Earth is a big cross-over I guess?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The cross-over ended on Supergirl ("I hope this doesn't become an annual thing" :laugh: ) and honestly this one was the best yet. SOOOOOO much fan service. I'm guessing Superman being gone on Argos with pregnant Lois could be the rumoured spinoff show (Tyler Hoechlin definitely deserves his own Superman show, one of the best casting ever and performance as well). And Lois wearing the same outfit as Margot Kidder on Superman - The Movie... :eek:

What was that hammer Lois had?

Crisis On Infinite Earth is a big cross-over I guess?

Crisis on Infinite Earths isn't just a big crossover. It's THE big crossover. Really it was the first and (at the time) biggest publication-spanning multi-work epic tale that comics had seen. The in-universe reason was much the same as was set up in this show's crossover (the Monitor went looking for and found an assemblage of heroes from different universes to fight a giant reality-threatening evil), and the meta-reason for it was to allow DC to collapse its sprawling, confusing multiverse of different books and eras and realities into a much more compact package that wouldn't overwhelm readers quite so much. It turned out to cause as many problems as it fixed and its success made gigantic crossover stories into a cash cow to be milked mercilessly on an ongoing and too-frequent basis, but it was absolutely a milestone event in DC and comics as a whole

Crisis on Infinite Earths (Comic Book) - TV Tropes (some spoilers in the early description, more in the tropes list and other tabs)

Crisis on Infinite Earths - Wikipedia (even more spoilers here, right in the early couple of paragraphs even)

There's bound to be some changes not just because the shows can't possibly cover all the ground the comics did, but because I hardly think the tv version of this is going to end with a good chunk of the assorted series' rosters well and truly dead (Comic COIE slaughtered both C-list and A-list characters by the truckload. And many of them stuck for a long time. And several of them are characters important to several of the current CW series).

At the very least I expect that the crossover will be the impetus to finally realign the Supergirl show universe into the same reality as the rest of the CW series (except Black Lightning) and to give the assorted series writers free reign to tweak and alter the series to fix problems and disliked areas as they see fit with a nice and convenient "well the universes merged, so reality changed in all sorts of crazy ways" hand-wave.

I also don't expect we're getting a Superman show. I get the feeling that DC still wants to hold onto its primary heroes for a movie universe even if those versions of the characters are faltering and flagging to various degrees.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Kinded of surprised they are pulling he full crisis trigger here. That is a big trigger to pull.

Always figured it was something to be saved for the movie-verse if they ever actually figured it out.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So. Does anyone know of a way to legally stream Supergirl in Canada? (for the purposes of watching Elseworlds hour 3)

Netflix has only up to season 3. Showcase has the TV rights but from their website I can't find where they have the episodes available to watch.

Google Movies is only offering the Crossover if you purchase the entire season (at a cost of 30+ bucks).

Not sure if Crave is airing current supergirl episodes?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Haven't watched since season 1, but seeing how much most of the cast seems to hate Vancouver I wonder if a lot of characters are starting to be killed off.

The series started shooting in LA. So, if anyone didn't want to move with the show to Vancouver, like Flockhart for personal reasons, the show wrote them out of the series. Once the series moved to the CW, you knew that they were going to do a location switch.

As for Flash/Arrow/Legends they all started in Vancouver. So, if any actor has an issue spending a few months in Vancouver during shooting, then they should not have taken the role or ask to leave the show. It's a job. Some people have to travel for their job, others have early hours or late hours.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Despite all that, it remains the better of the superheroes shows. It's just tacky enough to be fun while maintaining a dramatic feel. Melissa is pretty good too.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They've done the dumb thing i hate that shows do with characters like the new DEO head: They could've made her halfway sympathetic by having her do the wrong things for the right reasons, being a good soldier, and following orders even if they come across as awful to the viewers and the main characters.

Instead they just give in and make sure everyone knows she's the villain and we're supposed to hate her by making her out to be a total ***** who is clearly taking the whole Supergirl thing personally and acting like as much of a pointlessly petty hag as they can.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They've done the dumb thing i hate that shows do with characters like the new DEO head: They could've made her halfway sympathetic by having her do the wrong things for the right reasons, being a good soldier, and following orders even if they come across as awful to the viewers and the main characters.

Instead they just give in and make sure everyone knows she's the villain and we're supposed to hate her by making her out to be a total ***** who is clearly taking the whole Supergirl thing personally and acting like as much of a pointlessly petty hag as they can.

Yup, and all that so they could wipe Supergirl's identity from Alex's mind to create drama. That's why it was so disappointing.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The writers seriously need to learn to stop being so ham-fisted and on the nose with their moralizing. It's not even an issue with agreeing or not agreeing with the message. It's that you can't just have the story grind to a halt so that the characters can basically look at the 4th wall and spout the writer's sermon about how bad prejudice/racism/intolerance is. A better writer works that into the story without being so blatant.

Also the whole Red Son knockoff plot is getting kind of stupid because we're like halfway through the season and they're still doing nothing but disconnected teases. Either it should've intertwined with the whole "Sons of Liberty" main plot for this first half of the season or it should've been a stand-alone arc for a separate season. This makes it seem like they couldn't figure out a whole cloth story arc for the entire season, so they cheated by taking a couple of ideas that didn't make the cut and stapling them together into a frankenstein's season.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Man, the latest episode really hit you in the feels due to it's real life parallels. Almost scary to watch at times. Great use of "Mad World" as well.

And holy shit, that preview for next week:

Jon Cryer looks awesome as Lex Luthor. :amazed: That one line alone made him sound better than Eisenberg.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Holy ****, I'm just a few minutes into the episode but Jon Cryer has already delivered one of the best Lex Luthor's on screen. :bow:
I burst our laughing when he yelled: Miss. Tessmacher.
Never saw it coming even though her character was already on the show. :laugh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Damn, didn't expect to hear Sinatra at the beginning. :laugh:

Damn, what an episode. Cryer is killing it as Lex. This is also probably the best written Lex Luthor in live action I've seen. Exosuit, the intellect, it's all there. :clap:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad