GDT: Super something something in somewhere on Friday June 7th

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I don't want to get too political, and last time they held an event in SA and I commented about it I was basically getting all of my comments deleted by mods but I will say this:

I get that there's a very negative stigma around the government running Saudi Arabia. That's warranted and more than deserved. Things that they have done as a regime are entirely their own actions, though. I've been a practicing, dedicated Muslim for 25 years now. Not only is what the government does nothing even remotely resembling Islam based on the teachings from the Quran, but the government acts on its own. The majority people living in Saudi Arabia aren't exactly thrilled with the familial regime that currently oversees things.

With that said, I can understand why people wouldn't want the wrestlers to attend, and last time was pretty warranted. You look around at the crowd last time and it looked like higher up officials, likely involved in the government somehow, sitting all over the arena. This show, however, felt different. This show just looked like regular old citizens coming to a live event to watch their favourite wrestlers - both past and present - competing. Something that might only happy for these people once or twice in their lifetime. Some of us get to experience this once or twice every few months. Just because those people live in Saudi Arabia, doesn't mean they shouldn't be given an opportunity to see a live show.

Money is money. If Saudi Arabian higher ups want to pay the WWE a boatload of money to host shows, so be it. But the WWE's position can't be "we're going here to help initiate change" and the SA position can't be "LOOK AT US WE'RE AMAZING". Just call it what it is: a live wrestling event, no more, no less. It just so happens that the wrestlers are getting paid more for this than usual.

Again, I get not liking the government - I don't either. But the people at that show looked like typical wrestling fans you'd see anywhere, just happy to be there.

I don’t think anything you just said is bad, it’s a well articulated perspective and we do tend to get caught up on how a government operates vs the people who live in it.

It’s a bit of a whataboutism and I’ve brought it up as a bit of an opposing viewpoint but it’s not like the current state of some state governments and the fed is all that great in the USA.

If people are upset about them going to SA they should probably be equally upset for shows that will take place in Georgia, MO, and Alabama. But once again we’re talkkng about state governments vs the people who live there and want to be entertained.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Taker is an asshole. He's far far far far removed from being the locker leader. He is there to take money and that's it. I guarantee you he lost a significant amount of money and is hurting. He does whatever brings HIM money and is not out there putting anyone over.

And don't make me bring up the video from like 2001 where he said he never wants to be that guy. He is.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Where did this “Undertaker is broke” thing come from? There’s no evidence of this. WWE is paying him NOT to do anything.

Reactions: Disclose

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Taker is an *******. He's far far far far removed from being the locker leader. He is there to take money and that's it. I guarantee you he lost a significant amount of money and is hurting. He does whatever brings HIM money and is not out there putting anyone over.

And don't make me bring up the video from like 2001 where he said he never wants to be that guy. He is.

Taker is basically a side attraction for the WWe. It benefits the WWe that they can trot him out once or twice a year to prop up a buyrate or rating on TV. Let's be honest here by the way, the WWe can have some younger guy beat him but they will just waste that win by having the guy lose a match or 2 in the following 6 months

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Undertaker liking that comment and playing victim on Instagram was the funniest thing :laugh:

“WWE forcing him into the ring, let the man retire” nah chief, dude is taking that $2m all the time for two matches a year.

Reactions: ColePens

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Word from Dave is that both guys were pissed and want to redeem themselves for what happened.

If these were two regular wrestlers, they would never have the chance to do so.

But come November, Vince gonna put them right back in there

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Word from Dave is that both guys were pissed and want to redeem themselves for what happened.

Redemption would be to never get back in the ring again, and to stop tarnishing your own legacy.

Goldberg can probably still go, but not against a total sandbag. Even Roman, who's a strong f***ing dude, couldn't lift Taker after 10 minutes. Power moves in wrestling are a two man job. If one can't do his part, the other is f***ed. Especially when it's a guy as big as Taker.

Shit, even Brock broke Hardcore Holly's neck. Although who knows if that was an accident or if Holly was being a dick, sandbagging the rookie, and Brock said f*** this and dropped him on his head.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Where did this “Undertaker is broke” thing come from? There’s no evidence of this. WWE is paying him NOT to do anything.
Actions speak louder than words. Always remember that.

- A couple red flags in the past 5 years about some things that didn't pay off.

- not living up to his interview about not wanting to be the old guy in the ring a dad says to a child "if you would have seen him back in the day"

- divorce aint cheap

- shelling himself out for signings and bookings after being a private man for so long

- going to the highest bid from stsrcast or vince

In life, actions will ALWAYS speak louder than words. Ive seen these actions before.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Actions speak louder than words. Always remember that.

- A couple red flags in the past 5 years about some things that didn't pay off.

- not living up to his interview about not wanting to be the old guy in the ring a dad says to a child "if you would have seen him back in the day"

- divorce aint cheap

- shelling himself out for signings and bookings after being a private man for so long

- going to the highest bid from stsrcast or vince

In life, actions will ALWAYS speak louder than words. Ive seen these actions before.

So he's done the same thing every other wrestler has done in history? He had leverage on Vince and used it. Undertaker's hourly rate was insane, and very few were willing to pay it. They did the same thing with Kurt Angle. If Undertaker was broke he would've been taking anything he could get, and would've taken whatever they threw at him for Wrestlemania - not charging $25K/hour for appearances.

Charlotte's been divorced twice, anyone think she's in a bad way? She's not making more in a year than Undertaker does for these shows. Is Shawn Michaels broke because he took the money from KSA and the cushy job with Hunter in NXT that they probably don't need him for?

Reactions: Disclose

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The man behind the undertaker apparently has money issues. You try turning down 2 million dollars for an hour of work.

You're responsible for the choices you make. He still made the choice to work the show in a place they know is paying them an exorbitant amount of money to essentially be televised useful idiots for their government. He made the choices to be in whatever alleged money issue he is in and has made many millions of dollars over his career. When you take this sort of money, you deserve the criticism that comes with it. Just his Wrestlemania appearance fees alone should cover whatever money problems one could have for a guy like him. This was obscene and unnecessary and carries with it a sort of shame that he deserves to have for making such a poor choice.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So he's done the same thing every other wrestler has done in history? He had leverage on Vince and used it. Undertaker's hourly rate was insane, and very few were willing to pay it. They did the same thing with Kurt Angle. If Undertaker was broke he would've been taking anything he could get, and would've taken whatever they threw at him for Wrestlemania - not charging $25K/hour for appearances.

Charlotte's been divorced twice, anyone think she's in a bad way? She's not making more in a year than Undertaker does for these shows. Is Shawn Michaels broke because he took the money from KSA and the cushy job with Hunter in NXT that they probably don't need him for?

You have every right to have your opinion... I'm telling you the actions do not match up with words. When we are SPECIFICALLY talking about Taker, he's been extremely quiet and out of the public his entire life. In addition he went on to talk about his character and never wanting to be "that guy" who is well past his prime in the ring.

Dude it's not hard to see the writing on the wall. If that's someone's character and then it somehow is not their character, there is a reason. And to me it's financial. Maybe it's utter arrogance. Maybe it's not being able to let go of the spotlight. Maybe it isn't. But I'd bet a huge amount that it is. I've seen this before and the actions match up with what I suspect.

But hey - just my opinion. And pure speculation.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Redemption would be to never get back in the ring again, and to stop tarnishing your own legacy.

Goldberg can probably still go, but not against a total sandbag. Even Roman, who's a strong ****ing dude, couldn't lift Taker after 10 minutes. Power moves in wrestling are a two man job. If one can't do his part, the other is ****ed. Especially when it's a guy as big as Taker.

****, even Brock broke Hardcore Holly's neck. Although who knows if that was an accident or if Holly was being a dick, sandbagging the rookie, and Brock said **** this and dropped him on his head.
Just re-watch the tombstone from yesterday, Goldberg literally does everything, even pretty much hoisted himself up for it.

Then got absolutely spiked for his troubles.

It’s a good thing Goldberg is in great shape for his age, because if he wasn’t, he’d be leaving on a backboard.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Just re-watch the tombstone from yesterday, Goldberg literally does everything, even pretty much hoisted himself up for it.

Then got absolutely spiked for his troubles.

It’s a good thing Goldberg is in great shape for his age, because if he wasn’t, he’d be leaving on a backboard.

At this point there's only three guys in the company that can carry Taker's dead weight. Two are part timers, and one I don't ever care to see have a match with Taker.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

9d530-15599716938985-800.jpg

A complete corpse in Taker carrying around a concussed Goldberg. $4m payday. What a goddamn mess.

Vince will keep rolling out his whores until they die in the streets.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It’s beyond sad seeing what Undertaker has become. This is his legacy now. The guy who could have retired looking good and have his pride, but instead he’s had 5 years of garbage matches ruining the way people remember him.

The gong does nothing anymore for me.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not sure why anybody is surprised that Goldberg KOed himself on the ring post. Literally spiked his own head on the mat spearing DDP and KOed himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Not sure why anybody is surprised that Goldberg KOed himself on the ring post. Literally spiked his own head on the mat spearing DDP and KOed himself.

I mean, the guy was bleeding by the time he came out of his dressing room. Probably knocked himself out early on that locker.

What a complete fiasco. I was in stitches.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Whose idea was that :laugh:

20 minutes, you should have just done what you did with Goldberg/Brock and do a short sprint.
Exactly. I saw a video on YouTube explaining what was supposed to happen and that Vince was hot at Taker after.

I think they kind of thought it would be like Rock/Hogan when it was actually like Kelly Kelly vs Jackie Gayda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad