Super Smash Bros Ultimate (13.0 + Sora)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Calm down there, fanboy. Just because no one likes your fighting game outside of brainwashed melee drones doesn't mean you have to try and discredit people.

Melee is garbage. It's the same 5 or 6 losers too scared to let go of the past playing in the same tournaments over and over until their wrists explode. There's almost no turnover or up and comers to watch because they all get squashed because the skill (or glitch) ceiling is far too high to even be worth it. Same 5 boring ass stages, same 5 or 6 boring characters (fox, shiek, falco, puff, marth, peach, cpt falcon) ad nausem. How riveting.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Calm down there, fanboy. Just because no one likes your fighting game outside of brainwashed melee drones doesn't mean you have to try and discredit people.

Melee is garbage. It's the same 5 or 6 losers too scared to let go of the past playing in the same tournaments over and over until their wrists explode. There's almost no turnover or up and comers to watch because they all get squashed because the skill (or glitch) ceiling is far too high to even be worth it. Same 5 boring ass stages, same 5 or 6 boring characters (fox, shiek, falco, puff, marth, peach, cpt falcon) ad nausem. How riveting.
You really don't understand what a strawman argument is, do you? Did I ever say it was the better game? Did I say it was the better seller? Hell, did I even say I enjoyed it more? Seems like someone needs to take their own advice and calm down.

Last edited:

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015

Lmao you honestly have no idea what you're talking about

You talk about it being the same 5 players, and yet what was sm4shs competitive scene? Oh right...it was Zero getting 1st every tournament until he retired. And then what happened? Oh right, it became everybody spamming bayonetta because she was so broken. That's much more entertaining to watch than melee where the top 8 usually doesn't even have more than 2 mains of the best character (fox)

Give your head a shake

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I played the **** out of the campaign in brawl. Im not arguing that it wasnt fun, because it was. All im saying is that from a competive standpoint, melee will most likely stay as the better game. If you dont care about the competitive scene then thats fine, obviously it doesnt apply to you, but the competitive scene is what keeps the game alive even after the console stops getting support (which is why melee gets more viewers during tournaments despite being how many years older than the newest?)

What I mean is fighting games have been a 2nd tier genre in the industry for a long time now, so the devs making them really need to hit up that competitive base as that's where your core sales are going to come from. Smash Bros on the other hand, has always remained in it's own ecosystem, a Nintendo exclusive and system mover that sells up there with the best games in the industry. While with Melee it they may have overlapped with the competitive scene, having 5-6 figure tournament views while a nice bonus is otherwise inconsequential to Nintendo.

First and foremost it has to be a fun party game that anyone can pickup and be decent at, if Nintendo didn't screw up the console (see: Wii-U) that's what's going to move 10M+ copies of the game, whether or not dedicated fighting game fans buy in doesn't matter as much. You get a more extreme example of this if you look at Mario Kart and compare it to other racing games like Forza or Gran Turismo. Nintendo really isn't trying to hit the same market here.

Reactions: H3ckt1k

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Melee is “popular” because it continuously gets shoved down our throats by that community. And every Smash game gets compared unfavorably to it that it honestly gets tiresome. I watched it at EVO and I just don’t get it. It’s an old game with a tiny roster of viable characters and stages. The casual part of the game was fun.... 17 years ago. The adventure mode was fun until you realize it’s just an upgraded form of 64s single player. Don’t people get tired of Dream Land populated by Fox and Marth?

Ultimate won’t bury Melee even though it should. Sakurai could release Melee HD and the fans would still nitpick it to death. It was a fantastic game in 2001 but nowadays it looks dated. It’s time to move on.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Lmao you honestly have no idea what you're talking about

You talk about it being the same 5 players, and yet what was sm4shs competitive scene? Oh right...it was Zero getting 1st every tournament until he retired. And then what happened? Oh right, it became everybody spamming bayonetta because she was so broken. That's much more entertaining to watch than melee where the top 8 usually doesn't even have more than 2 mains of the best character (fox)

Give your head a shake

I don't recall saying any Smash game is good competitively, i'm just pointing out Melee is the worst offender.

As far as i'm concerned competitive smash is the biggest joke in e-sports next to battle royale games trying to go competitive.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I am really looking forward to this mode. There was a version of it built into Smash Run where it was the end game and you had a match with a stockpile of different characters.

Tournaments with 5 man teams would be pretty awesome.

Thinking up my team for fun...

1. Young Link
2. Duck Hunt Dog
3. Samus
4. Villager
5. Cloud

Sonic has got to be my most disapponting character in the game. I grew up with Genesis so have always loved the character but his move set in Smash is not very fun.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
I don't recall saying any Smash game is good competitively, i'm just pointing out Melee is the worst offender.

As far as i'm concerned competitive smash is the biggest joke in e-sports next to battle royale games trying to go competitive.
Okay and that's fair, but just know that you're wrong lol

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Competitive Smash would be fine if the community wasn't such complete shit. Go to any FGC event and you will never meet group of more obnoxious, entitled brats in your life. It's like a mass personality disorder that trickles down from the behavior of their top players.

Reactions: Blitzkrug

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I never really 'got' Smash as a competitive game, until a friend told me 'dude, it's just sumo wrestling. Instead of pushing a guy out of the ring on a horizontal plane, you're pushing them out of the 'ring' (or frame) in a 2-dimensional plane.'

After that it kind of clicked. I never got GOOD at it mind you, but I at least understood how it was more than a simple party game. I still prefer fighters with KOs and life bars, but from that point, I stopped looking down my nose at it and kind of just respected it as it's own take on the fighting genre, in the same way that sumo is a unique take on combat sport.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Dead Cells is so freaking good!!!

edit: oops, wrong thread. Were the boards messed up yesterday for anyone else?

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
kTmyK0tmRHCl3NZrIIJIWw.png

Never mind, she's her own fighter.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'm just mad at how f***ed the whole "Coming Soon/Out of Stock/Briefly in Stock" bullshit is with the Special Edition of the game on Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/super-...ition-nintendo-switch/6255361.p?skuId=6255361

It was never ever consistently in stock. It would say "Add to Cart" but you never could and when I got to where I could do checkout, it would say pick up only but it said that there were no stores in range...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So the rumours are that Steve is actually going to be in the game. If we get Steve but don't get Geno, then that's just sad.

Rumors about everyone.

Smash reddit seems absolutely convinced Issac from Golden Sun is getting announced next.

With how crazy Square is with holding on to their characters, I actually think Steve could be in before Geno.

Apparently Bethesda talked with Nintendo about Smash as well? They didn’t say what. Vault Boy?

Edit: if the Steve thing becomes true. What a hilarious timeline we live in where Microsoft signed off on Steve in Smash instead of Banjo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->