Super Smash Bros Ultimate (13.0 + Sora)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly I think having Ridley is enough to appease a ton of people. People have been waiting a long time for that.

The only one I would request at this point is Toad. Just so I could put 8 of them in a match and make people's ears bleed from all the awful voicelines.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly I think having Ridley is enough to appease a ton of people. People have been waiting a long time for that.

The only one I would request at this point is Toad. Just so I could put 8 of them in a match and make people's ears bleed from all the awful voicelines.

They have actually moved on to complaining about no Waluigi

Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Captain Toad!

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Oh my goodness, they brought Wolf back!

They brought back my Brawl and Project M bae! I waited a long time after he got ditched in WiiU. Wooooo!

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
As an active Melee player, the tournament has cooled me right off after I almost lost my shit from excitement during the trailer.

This is essentially Smash 4.5 so far. It allows a lot more offensive gameplay and the neutral is a bit faster, but the wacky as all hell knockback REALLY bugs me. Aside from Sheik at low % and OBVIOUSLY Bayo, no one could really demonstrate any decent combo potential because the knock back of hits starts off incredibly fast. Additionally to that, since it loses its knockback almost immediately after a very short time, characters also live to a ridiculously high percentage, unless you gimp their recoveries (Sheik) or simply carry them into the blast zones (Bayo, MAYBE Jiggs).

Snake looked like a ridiculously good zoning character. Ridley seems to have immense offensive potential, but weak on the defensive side. Bayo is still broken. ZSS looks fantastic, so do Sonic and Sheik.

I almost lost it when they announced directional air dodges, since this was what enabled Melee's wavedashes. But the slight backwards motion they implemented prevents it from happening again. Massive bummer, but not a massive issue to me. Dash dancing is nice.

It's obviously still in development and the balancing hasn't been finished. So I hope that they look at their knockback mechanics again. Slow the knockback down a bit and massively reduce the aerial friction that sets in after a while and we have a game that allows an aggressive neutral with a combo heavy punish game and multiple kill options for most chars.

Aka, an updated version of Melee with a few less mechanics.

Last edited:
Reactions: H3ckt1k

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I was wondering when the "it's not Melee" or "Melee is better" people (and the like) would start showing up. We don't need wave dashing anymore.

But as you said, it's early and it's going to tweaked. They could of also used those knockbacks and percentages so that it helps make it look a tad more exciting in videos. Who knows.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I was wondering when the "it's not Melee" or "Melee is better" people (and the like) would start showing up. We don't need wave dashing anymore.

But as you said, it's early and it's going to tweaked. They could of also used those knockbacks and percentages so that it helps make it look a tad more exciting in videos. Who knows.
Not going too far into your "We don't need wave dashing anymore" comment. Let's just say I vehemently disagree (More options is not a bad thing, yknow?), but to each their own.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Smash 4 and even Brawl to a lesser degree. I just don't play as often and I'm not exactly dedicated to get better at them. And as I said, I think the lack of wavedashes is a bummer considering they even implemented directional airdodges, but not a big deal overall. The game can still be fine otherwise. It just won't do much to bridge the gap in the competitive Smash player base in it's current state.

But sorry for preferring the deeper mechanics and faster tempo of an earlier game in the series, I guess. Hope I didn't ruin your day.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I didn't say anything about the tempo but I do think we can move on from wave dashing. Also, isn't wave dashing considered an exploit, not a gameplay mechanic (intentional)?

I do kinda hope the tempo is a little higher and you were right about the percentages being so high and how the knockbacks were too fast.

Reactions: TheNeutrality

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I didn't say anything about the tempo but I do think we can move on from wave dashing. Also, isn't wave dashing considered an exploit, not a gameplay mechanic (intentional)?

I do kinda hope the tempo is a little higher and you were right about the percentages being so high and how the knockbacks were too fast.
It's not really an exploit.

According to Sakurai it was not consciously coded that way, but it was more so a by-product of how the collision engine handles directional air dodges. They were aware of it during testing and decided to leave it in the game, thinking that it won't really make a difference as they couldn't see any practical application for it.

Little did they know, I guess.

Last edited:

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
When I'm tryharding I usually play Marth, but the character I have the most fun with is M2. I also prefer M2 in teams, oddly enough.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
My one friend almost always plays Marth. He rarely plays anything else. I will say Melee EASILY had the best knee smash for Falcon. But you know, they had to keep f***ing nerfing it with each iteration.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
My one friend almost always plays Marth. He rarely plays anything else. I will say Melee EASILY had the best knee smash for Falcon. But you know, they had to keep ****ing nerfing it with each iteration.
It's a shame. Few things are more satisfying than a Falcon landing a double uair into knee

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
1) Link/Young Link
2) Duck Hunt Dog
3) Samus

I don't really 'main' anyone too much though. I like to use every character who I love.

I am still best with all the original characters because that is the game I played the most.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lucas
Pac-Man
Greninja

I was convinced I wouldn't need to re-learn Pac-Man but here we are.

I also picked up Zelda later on and love her redesign.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This game looks so effin badass, I absolutely love the attention to detail.

Who is everyone's mains?

Captain Falcon, Snake and Ike for me. I could throw in Shulk there as well.
Fox is mine and only mine.

If I am bored I liked Kirby as a secondary character, but the addition of Greninja changed that when he was introduced.

The most interesting character has to be the sword guy who uses the different elements, I am so going to try him out when this game is released.

Every character ever, and it seems possible it may also include every arena ever. :nod:

Any word on if Brinstar Stage is in game? You know the one with the sickest theme music?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Looks great, I'm not much of a competitive player (I'll get bored in like 30 minutes with items turned off), looks like a lot of fun.

Don't care that it looks the same as smash 4, I've said it before but the switch is basically just the Wii u with shorter development times thanks to Nvidia. Smash 4 looked great.

Always been a casual but smash 4 was my favorite. Never cared much about combos or active frames or whatever meta terms there are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->