Super Smash Bros Ultimate (13.0 + Sora)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
There is a specific thing you need for every character. In this game I was getting characters so fast I literally don't even know the names of like five of them, and don't know the movesets of probably half

Everybody has the same moves. Thats kinda the point of the game.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Everybody has the same moves. Thats kinda the point of the game.

Huh?

Sure there are similar ones but.... no....

Snake's side-B sends out a guided missile. You mean to tell me there are any other characters with that too? Pikachu has a guided missile?

Even things like Snake's up-smash sends a missile (I forget the correct word for it right now) straight up 30 feet in the air. AFAIK no other character has a smash attack similar

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Yeah. Everyone has a side-B move.

:huh:

I don't mean to be pessimistic. I like the game a lot. Usually when I fire up my Switch I intend on playing something else but always end up back playing Smash

Just wish there was more to unlock like the old games

Last edited:

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I'm gonna be attending my first offline local tournament on Sunday. I've practiced when I could and while I don't expect to place very high, it should be pretty interesting. Wolf's been getting quite a bit of representation in competitive play and I hope mine can stack up

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Huh?

Sure there are similar ones but.... no....

Snake's side-B sends out a guided missile. You mean to tell me there are any other characters with that too? Pikachu has a guided missile?

Even things like Snake's up-smash sends a missile (I forget the correct word for it right now) straight up 30 feet in the air. AFAIK no other character has a smash attack similar

There are several characters that have guided projectile moves. Overall, many characters share similar mechanics. But you should take the time to try each one at least once, in training or something. It's important to know what to expect.

Take an hour, go into training, play as everyone for 5 mins or so, try their moves, smash attacks, dash attacks, air, etc...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Ike and Cloud are very frustrating matchups for me. Arrgh

I really like Cloud, he feels great. His specials are very similar to the FE crew (his up special is a better version of Ike's and his side special is a slightly worse version of Marth/etc...). Awesome dash attack, good range, solid smash attacks, solid air attacks. And then you toss in limit breaks... I love playing as Cloud now.

Reactions: BaileyMacTavish

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Any guesses for other DLC characters?

After watching some YouTube videos, I think the main character(s) from Nier Automata would make for an interesting choice. Especially if that game was getting ported to the Switch. And there's the Platinum and Square connection.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Yeah. His neutral aerial and Neutral special are great zoning tools to keep people out. All his attacks hit hella hard to boot.
I really like Cloud, he feels great. His specials are very similar to the FE crew (his up special is a better version of Ike's and his side special is a slightly worse version of Marth/etc...). Awesome dash attack, good range, solid smash attacks, solid air attacks. And then you toss in limit breaks... I love playing as Cloud now.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
man I find playing online so stressful

I have a pretty good record now but I find I'm not actually really having fun when I play yet somehow I keep playing

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
For DLC characters, Waluigi is obvious. But I find it silly that they include all of those Fire Emblem characters with swords instead of having Crono from Chrono Trigger.

Banjo-Kazooie would be a good add too.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I was looking at spirits yesterday and noticed a ton of spirits from Mega Man. Usually with just one rep there are like 5-6 spirits max but Mega Man has tons. It makes sense given how easy you can make spirits out of each boss but still... So maybe there is a Mega Man character coming as DLC? Don't know who it would be though.. Bass, Zero, Proto Man, Wiley, Roll... Basically all the main characters are already spirits.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
When you guys played through World of Light, did you take the time to actually go through and individualize your spirits through the dojos, or individually pick them out for every battle? Or use the same spirits repeatedly or anything?

I've basically just defaulted to one of the first two suggestions for every battle, mainly because I don't see why not. It's just one of those things where I don't have the time to manage so many spirits and keep track of all that.

There have been a few rare instances where I'll look for a specific spirit in a really tough battle, but that's probably happened like twice so far, and I think I may be about halfway through? Skipping most four-star spirit battles though.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I use all of em. I think when you click to auto pick it chooses lower powered spirits. My presumption is you get more rewards for using weaker spirits.

I’ve kinda got into the spirits. They’re really basic but I think it’s a great hook for this gameplay.

I’m also enjoying creating Mii fighters to use with the custom costumes.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
When you guys played through World of Light, did you take the time to actually go through and individualize your spirits through the dojos, or individually pick them out for every battle? Or use the same spirits repeatedly or anything?

I've basically just defaulted to one of the first two suggestions for every battle, mainly because I don't see why not. It's just one of those things where I don't have the time to manage so many spirits and keep track of all that.

There have been a few rare instances where I'll look for a specific spirit in a really tough battle, but that's probably happened like twice so far, and I think I may be about halfway through? Skipping most four-star spirit battles though.
Use the spirits that make you giant to start the battle. You can win most fights in 5 seconds

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Use the spirits that make you giant to start the battle. You can win most fights in 5 seconds
Yeah I've noticed that, but that's not necessarily too fun when it's not a challenge.

You do get more rewards with weaker spirits. It seems to choose one that's close, but just a little under the power level of your opponent most of the time.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
If you time it well enough, you can **** with Chrom's recovery. The initial throw is invincible, afterwards you can punish the rest.

For Ike and maybe him, I'm pretty sure you can use Pit/Dark Pit's reflect at the edge and it will prevent them from grabbing it and kill them if they try and recover from below :laugh:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I did that with Mario's cape. :laugh:

Baited the Chrom twice, out comes to cape and he's turned the other way.

The meta is young but i seriously can't see Chrom being high tier like everyone thinks. That recovery is way too predictable and easy to challenge/gimp.

As of now it looks like the only clear cut dominant character is Inkling. That combo game is terrifying and it has all the tools to go with it; great recovery, plenty of mix ups/read options, zoning game with the splat bomb. Scary ****.

Cloud also looks pretty good too, just not as insane as Smash 4.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I am at the final final boss for World of Light (I think?? I have no idea anymore). Man that is not an easy fight... I came very, very close, about 2 inches left on the health bar, but it is such a gauntlet that I need to psych myself up. I'm using all Legend spirits too, lv 99 etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad