Super Smash Bros Ultimate (13.0 + Sora)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Screwed around with Banjo for a bit. He's a breath of fresh air/fun to play despite being incredibly basic/straightforward as a character.

No gimmicky, lame to play against BS like Hero and Joker.

While being fun to play, i don't imagine he has much of a future in high level play for a few reasons;

- Few, if any reliable kill options. Up smash kills late, up air kills late, down smash doesn't seem to kill at all unless you land it at the ledge (why would you?) and his side smash while being incredibly hilarious, is slow and easy to shield

- Incredibly exploitable recovery. If Banjo has no Gold Feathers to burn for it, it has a very limited vertical range, and on top of the charge time for it, i feel like he's gonna get murked for it in tourney play

- His combo game seems...meh? Lots of his tilts are one hit/knockback moves, his up tilt has to have the right angle and cannot be combo'd into itself. He does have a decent dash attack into jab flurry combo at low percents.

- Wonder Wing seems like a less intimidating Flare Blitz. I get cooked by Flare Blitz on the regular since it does insane shield damage/harder to read. Wonder Wing seems safer on block and has way, way more end lag on it.

In all honesty i'm fine with it. Banjo is basic but incredibly fun to play. Far better than the other crap DLC thus far.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Screwed around with Banjo for a bit. He's a breath of fresh air/fun to play despite being incredibly basic/straightforward as a character.

No gimmicky, lame to play against BS like Hero and Joker.

While being fun to play, i don't imagine he has much of a future in high level play for a few reasons;

- Few, if any reliable kill options. Up smash kills late, up air kills late, down smash doesn't seem to kill at all unless you land it at the ledge (why would you?) and his side smash while being incredibly hilarious, is slow and easy to shield

- Incredibly exploitable recovery. If Banjo has no Gold Feathers to burn for it, it has a very limited vertical range, and on top of the charge time for it, i feel like he's gonna get murked for it in tourney play

- His combo game seems...meh? Lots of his tilts are one hit/knockback moves, his up tilt has to have the right angle and cannot be combo'd into itself. He does have a decent dash attack into jab flurry combo at low percents.

- Wonder Wing seems like a less intimidating Flare Blitz. I get cooked by Flare Blitz on the regular since it does insane shield damage/harder to read. Wonder Wing seems safer on block and has way, way more end lag on it.

In all honesty i'm fine with it. Banjo is basic but incredibly fun to play. Far better than the other crap DLC thus far.

Totally agree.

Banjo & Kazooie & Banjo Tooie were two of my favorite and most played games as a kid, so I might be a bit biased.

I also agree with the fun to play bit. I probably spent an hour in training just trying to get a feel for Banjo, and I was having a blast just trying out different things.

I feel like I need to practice against real people. Playing online is way too frustrating

edit: Also I'd liken Wonder Wing to Dark Pit's Electro-Shock, but with a larger range.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Wonder if they go the experimental route with Terry like they did Joker and Hero or if they make him relatively simple like Banjo.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Undertale pack was a nice little add on too. For as much **** Undertale gets, the Sans costume is neat and Megalovania is an absolute banger of a track.

How nuts is it to be Toby Fox right now? Guy goes from lurker on an earthbound modding forum, to his life's work becoming a cult hit, getting to play smash with Sakurai himself and now some of the stuff he's created is now alongside some of the greatest names in the history of the medium in the greatest crossover game ever.

I'm sure "full of joy" doesn't even describe how he's feeling right now.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Wonder if they go the experimental route with Terry like they did Joker and Hero or if they make him relatively simple like Banjo.

Terry's a pretty standard shoto character so I doubt there's going to be any experimenting. They could maybe do what Tekken did with Geese and give him a unique meter or something, I guess.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Banjo and Kazooie are interesting. A lot of their kills are reliant on setups with the grenade into a kill move. Down throw buries and if you read when and where they pop out, you can hit them with the fair. If they don't mash, it's an easy downsmash. Recovery is exploitable as some characters can keep them basically off stage the moment they are thrown off (wolf comes to mind since his ftilt can cover basically every option). Too easy to 2 frame and the wonderwing is too unsafe to trhow out willy nilly even if it is invincinble. However, ledgetrapping with them makes off stage opponents feel bad. Grenade basically forces the opponent to mix up recoveries, or they get hit by the nade and potentially die either by stage spike or a forward air. They are honest characters with minimum bs imo. Not bullshit amazing like Joker, and not RNG dependent like Hero.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
On another note, I'm kinda bummed top players have dropped Wolf, but I understand why. I still believe he has the tools of a (lower end) top tier character or top of high tier. He can kill and he can rack up damage easily because he controls neutral so well, but at 110%+ it's just too hard to kill without getting the greatest reads known to man because his confirms are so % dependent

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
On another note, I'm kinda bummed top players have dropped Wolf, but I understand why. I still believe he has the tools of a (lower end) top tier character or top of high tier. He can kill and he can rack up damage easily because he controls neutral so well, but at 110%+ it's just too hard to kill without getting the greatest reads known to man because his confirms are so % dependent

I like the plant.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
These things always seem to happen very quick.

Apparently there were runors of a November direct. I could imagine them doing a “smaller” direct, not really announcing new games, but hyping up the Christmas lineup with Smash DLC being the big reveal.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
From the videos I have seen, this guy has crazy combo potential.

Also any one have guesses as to who will complete the last of this fighter pass?

My guess is it will be a Pokemon from the new games coming out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad