Super Smash Bros Ultimate (13.0 + Sora)

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Release online tournament mode, but make it preset rules and don't give people the chance to set up their own like in 4.

It's always something with this ****ing company.

Dear Nintendo,

source.gif

Sincerely,

Your fans

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Ridley, Mewtwo, Rosalina, Isabelle, Pit, Charizard seemed to get the best buffs.

Not really many nerfs aside from Ivysaur, which was a good call imo.

I really don't know what to think about Hero. His normal attacks are very bad tbh, but his specials can just be stupid. Even putting everything with down-b aside for now, his neutral and side b's seem to have ridiculous range, power and edge guarding potential. He is a blast to play and is the ultimate casual pick, but I really hope his down-b can't be optimized that well competitively because it has the potential to really suck. Thrown off the stage and Hero gets Magic Burst? Screw you, you're dead. I've seen a bunch of twitter vids of people dying at 0% from crit smashes that were powered up (Oomph and Psych Up I think?). I main Roy so when I say people are dying way too easily to these f-smashes, it means something.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Ridley, Mewtwo, Rosalina, Isabelle, Pit, Charizard seemed to get the best buffs.

Not really many nerfs aside from Ivysaur, which was a good call imo.

I really don't know what to think about Hero. His normal attacks are very bad tbh, but his specials can just be stupid. Even putting everything with down-b aside for now, his neutral and side b's seem to have ridiculous range, power and edge guarding potential. He is a blast to play and is the ultimate casual pick, but I really hope his down-b can't be optimized that well competitively because it has the potential to really suck. Thrown off the stage and Hero gets Magic Burst? Screw you, you're dead. I've seen a bunch of twitter vids of people dying at 0% from crit smashes that were powered up (Oomph and Psych Up I think?). I main Roy so when I say people are dying way too easily to these f-smashes, it means something.

Hero is garbage. It's not at all fun to play against. It's like the Luigi RNG on steroids.

There's so many things wrong with the way he's designed. As someone else put it he's perfect for the casual playstyle, but he's so annoying otherwise. Let's break it down

- His neutral B and side B are ludicrously powerful, cover a stupid amount of range (side b could serve as a viable ledge guard)

- The critical hit gimmick his smash attacks have is stupid. Luigi's green missile misfiring has, if memory serves like a 1/10 chance of happening (that was the % in 4 at least, i would imagine it's the same, if not less.) Hero's crit has a 12.5 percent chance. Down air into up smash and landing up air into up smash are legitimate kill combos at low percent if you get lucky enough to land the crit. And there's not a god damn thing the opponent can do about it. No DI or teching will save you.

- A lot of his book of spells have great edge guard potential

- Approaching him is potentially hell. If he pulls out the spell book and/or has bounce you're now essentially in a guessing game where he can go to his spell book and depending on RNG, some of which are lethal.(Whack and Thwack has a chance of a one hit kill no matter the percentage) Leffen jokingly mocked people on the internet by going "Just predict all 4 options you scrub!"

- The wonder that is his hocus pocus spell: It has about 93 different effects and it's literally a dice roll;

I didn't care for Joker when he was released, and i honestly think Hero would be the worst thing ever added to smash if not for the gruesome twosome of Smash 4's Cloud and Bayonetta. People say "git gud", but how do you git gud against a character that is literally random? You can't gameplan, you can't practice. You have to get lucky essentially. No place in a competitive game unless Sakurai is trying to nuke the competitive scene again (i don't buy that theory)

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I didn't care for Joker when he was released, and i honestly think Hero would be the worst thing ever added to smash if not for the gruesome twosome of Smash 4's Cloud and Bayonetta. People say "git gud", but how do you git gud against a character that is literally random? You can't gameplan, you can't practice. You have to get lucky essentially. No place in a competitive game unless Sakurai is trying to nuke the competitive scene again (i don't buy that theory)

I think Hero might possibly be the most matchup-dependent character in the game. His normals are just so slow with bad frame data that I think rushdown characters should destroy him pretty easily. He won't have time to do many tricks with Pichu/Pika/Roy/Fox/etc. constantly in his space.

But against other matchups he could be incredible...I mean his up tilt is really good too and his aerials cover a lot, they're just really slow. Obviously have to see how the meta develops but he has frightening potential.

I'm glad EVO is running 3.1, Hero RNG in a Bo3 format is even worse. Will be interesting to see what usage Hero gets at Smash Con the next weekend.

Last edited:

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I'm sure Hero will get nerfed if people don't figure out how to exploit him
tbh, I'm winning pretty regularly against Hero, but I think that has more to do with the number of people that just down b the whole time and can't react to attacks quick enough.

I did get Critical hit killed like 3 times in a row though. Almost threw the controller.

Also their recovery isn't spectacular. If they get it off its great, but its slow and exploitable. If you play a character with a quick N-air you can beat them offstage pretty easily.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
AHHH I'M SO HYPED BY MORE DLC

Terry is whatever, I know Sakurai really respects SNK so good for him. But with more DLC we can all continue to dream. Sora! Crash! Phoenix Wright! Tetris block!

they are DEFINITELY adding another fire emblem character with this opportunity haha

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The part about more DLC = more new game worlds makes me think future DLC will also come from series not currently represented. Will be interesting to see what happens.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Very different energy from Sakurai. Definitely seems to be settling in for the long haul in terms of supporting the game, whereas earlier in the reveals it seemed he was ready to move on after those initial fighters were released. Saying he wanted to keep pushing the record leaves the door open for continuous DLC.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Very different energy from Sakurai. Definitely seems to be settling in for the long haul in terms of supporting the game, whereas earlier in the reveals it seemed he was ready to move on after those initial fighters were released. Saying he wanted to keep pushing the record leaves the door open for continuous DLC.
Yep, I’m very excited to see what comes next for Ultimate. With all of the series represented by DLC, it really does feel like the possibilities are endless.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Probably better for his well being. Instead of nearly killing himself on a new release every few years, he can just create crazy **** to his heart's content and not worry about himself as much since one fighter is nothing compared to a whole game.

The guy obviously loves to create, which is why he's come back for every game despite saying he was done after the prior one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->