Super Early 2008 Top 10

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Maybe 3rd round is pushing it, but these types of smallish early developers always fall considerably by the time the draft rolls around. I'll be shocked if he's top-15 next June, and would consider it exponentially more likely he ends up in the 2nd round, at least.
Take Pat Kane for example. ;)

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
He's 5'9" 176 lbs., as officially weighed/measured by CSS. That's pretty tiny. A 'tank' is Dale Mitchell at 5'9 210.

Maybe 3rd round is pushing it, but these types of smallish early developers always fall considerably by the time the draft rolls around. I'll be shocked if he's top-15 next June, and would consider it exponentially more likely he ends up in the 2nd round, at least.

Take listed weights with a grain of salt. Dana Tyrell, for instance, is listed at a light weight and not to tall at 5'11''. Watching him play, he's pretty damn thick.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If you have McRae in your top 10, not for anything he's ever done, but because you "like what he has" [fairly tall, good stride, rangy] and you "like the team he plays on" [he should get more ice time and opportunity], then shouldn't you also have OHL'ers like Nemisz, Staal, DeCoste, Della Rovere and Brittain in your top 10?

ummm no. I dont think they will be better then McRae...imo

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Phil McRae over Cody Hodgson. Hilarious.

What glimpse of anything has McRae shown in the past two seasons to make you rank him anywhere near the top 10?

I cant stand people like you. I am one of the only ones who actually threw 10 names out there, and you are going to comment on 1 guy on my list. Why dont you grow a pair and put out your own list instead of making stupid comments about another persons list. You can say whatever you want to say about my list, but atleast back it up with a list of your own. coward.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Phil McRae will go in the first round of next year's draft. imo. But then again he could because anything can happen in a year.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
If the draft were held today...

Stamkos (by a comfortable margin!)
Doughty
Beach
Del Zotto
Filatov
Wilson
Sauve
Tedemby
Tuebert
Pietroangelo

Same time next year

Stamkos(Just to good to fall...should be a sure fire franchise player)
Beach (old school powerforward....should push Stamkos)
Doughty (easily best Dman of the draft)
Filatov (we will be hearing alot about him come the fall)
Wilson (excellent player...nice soft hands, good playmaker, can play in traffic)
Bogosian (what you say? Trust me, ask Petes fans how far this kid has come and what his potential is)
Jenks (slight growing pains this year in Plymouth but will come on like a gang buster...good size, good skater, excellent skills)
Tuebert (what's not to like about a 6'3 mobile Dman who can handle the puck well)
Czarnik (seems like a lot of people have forgotten about him....they will remember him soon enough)
Hodgson (cooled off during the year but a very good talent...someone on this board said he will be the next Chris Drury and I couldn't agree more!)

Honorable mentions: Sauve, Hayes, Schenn, Cooper and Cormier

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't think Phil McRae will go in the first round of next year's draft. imo. But then again he could because anything can happen in a year.

well I dont know what publication or scouting service doesnt have Phil as a first rounder, not to discredit you, but I dont think that will be a problem for Phil. We all have our opinions, and just like Kane and JVR rose, so will McRae. imo

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
I cant stand people like you. I am one of the only ones who actually threw 10 names out there, and you are going to comment on 1 guy on my list. Why dont you grow a pair and put out your own list instead of making stupid comments about another persons list. You can say whatever you want to say about my list, but atleast back it up with a list of your own. coward.

You posted a top 10 list. I disagree with one of your selections and have asked you to justify it. You haven't done so. You responded with a personal attack and name-calling. How old are you?

I didn't realize that the rules of this board were such that I am not permitted to comment on or question elements of someone else's list unless I produce a list of my own. Unfortunately, unlike a lot of people on this board (including you), I'm not prepared to list, rank and pontificate on players that I've never seen personally.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site

Doughty
Beach
Del Zotto
Filatov
Wilson
Sauve
Tedemby
Tuebert
Pietroangelo

Same time next year

Wilson (excellent player...nice soft hands, good playmaker, can play in traffic)
Bogosian (what you say? Trust me, ask Petes fans how far this kid has come and what his potential is)
Jenks (slight growing pains this year in Plymouth but will come on like a gang buster...good size, good skater, excellent skills)
Tuebert (what's not to like about a 6'3 mobile Dman who can handle the puck well)
Czarnik (seems like a lot of people have forgotten about him....they will remember him soon enough)
Hodgson (cooled off during the year but a very good talent...someone on this board said he will be the next Chris Drury and I couldn't agree more!)

Pretty solid list. I think next year will be the year of the dman from the OHL. The only guy I disagree with you on is Pietrangelo. He's a top 5 pick and probable top 3 pick. Nick Lidstrom type player. High skill level and thinks the game at an extremely high level.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
ummm no. I dont think they will be better then McRae...imo

All of these players are quite similar in size and tools. What, specifically, makes you think none of them is or will be better than McRae?

Or should I ask: have you seen any of these players?

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
well I dont know what publication or scouting service doesnt have Phil as a first rounder, not to discredit you, but I dont think that will be a problem for Phil. We all have our opinions, and just like Kane and JVR rose, so will McRae. imo

I know the scouting publications like him. But so much can happen in a year. That's why I think he won't get picked in the first round. imo.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Same time next year

I personally don't think Doughty is gonna be caught by anyone, though I agree the #1 is Stamkos' to lose, I think it will come down to him and Doughty (lofty prediction this early, I know), but I've been so impressed by both of these guys, I don't see either of them letting up. I like your recognition of Czarnik; I also think he's been forgotten about (if it's even far enough along to be forgotten ;)). I completely agree that he'll show everyone what he's got; I love him as a prospect. Nice list and I especially like the way you split it into how it looks now and what you think it will shake down to over a year from now. Pleny can and WILL happen by then.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You posted a top 10 list. I disagree with one of your selections and have asked you to justify it. You haven't done so. You responded with a personal attack and name-calling. How old are you?

I didn't realize that the rules of this board were such that I am not permitted to comment on or question elements of someone else's list unless I produce a list of my own. Unfortunately, unlike a lot of people on this board (including you), I'm not prepared to list, rank and pontificate on players that I've never seen personally.

well then dont comment in a negative fashion on someone else who ACTUALLY put a list out there. There is no name calling here, I just cant stand people like you. where is the name calling in that? I gave my opinion, if you dont like it, tough..you have your opinion, and I am not ripping it., I am ripping on you not your opinion. I dont care what you think of McRae, its just very easy to say crap about someone else's post instead of actually adding anything positive to the thread.

if you cant come up with your own list, then you obviously dont know what players are out there for next years draft to even comment on anyone in the top 10 or anyones top 10. When you make up your own list, I will give you my "assesment" of Phil McRae. and why he is in my top 10.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I know the scouting publications like him. But so much can happen in a year. That's why I think he won't get picked in the first round. imo.

he is a guy that can most definitely fall, but he is also one of the few that can raise his stock to a real high level. He could be a bust, but he could be a stud too. way too early to tell.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester

The point is if you're going to rip somebody's list atleast have the balls to post your own list.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
well then dont comment in a negative fashion on someone else who ACTUALLY put a list out there. There is no name calling here, I just cant stand people like you. where is the name calling in that? I gave my opinion, if you dont like it, tough..you have your opinion, and I am not ripping it., I am ripping on you not your opinion. I dont care what you think of McRae, its just very easy to say crap about someone else's post instead of actually adding anything positive to the thread.

if you cant come up with your own list, then you obviously dont know what players are out there for next years draft to even comment on anyone in the top 10 or anyones top 10. When you make up your own list, I will give you my "assesment" of Phil McRae. and why he is in my top 10.

In the last word of your post, you called me "coward". That's not name calling?

If "I don't know what players are out there", then I can't comment on your list?? I haven't seen all of the players out there, so I'm not going to try and be a big wheel by making a list of players I haven't seen by regurgitating something I read in a scouting publication.

Explain to me that if I've personally seen 7 out of 10 players on your list, along with numerous others, why can't I comment on the relative placement of any of those 7?

brewins09

Feb 9, 2007

Doughty
Beach
Del Zotto
Filatov
Wilson
Sauve
Tedemby
Tuebert
Pietroangelo

Same time next year

Probably not top 10 but watch 89's Bailey, Arniel, Boychuk.
Boychuk, Arniel, Stamkos looked great as a line at u-18's!

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
PEOPLE!
IF YOU RANK FILATOV IN TOP 10, THEN YOU MUST INCLUDE PETROV, BECAUSE HE IS RUSSIAN TOP FOR 2008!
At least right now.

Skilled 6'3/200 forwards doesn't grow on trees.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

If "I don't know what players are out there", then I can't comment on your list?? I haven't seen all of the players out there, so I'm not going to try and be a big wheel by making a list of players I haven't seen by regurgitating something I read in a scouting publication.

Explain to me that if I've personally seen 7 out of 10 players on your list, along with numerous others, why can't I comment on the relative placement of any of those 7?

I think the point is why don't you just save us the trouble and post your reasons why you think it's hilarious to place McRae over Hodgson? I think it's pretty apparent the vast majority of the posters on this site haven't seen most of the prospects they comment on. That doesn't mean opinions can't be formulated based on other criteria. Besides, since you are a scout (I believe), your insights would be welcomed.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
im excited for filatov and stamkos' upcoming seasons.

(hugely biased towards skilled forwards) :D

i know this is a little off topic- but when was the last time a number one pick was under 6ft? (not including crosby at 5'10/ 5'11).

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
1. Steven Stamkos
2. Drew Doughty
3. Kyle Beach
4. Colten Teubert
5. Kirill Petrov
6. Alex Pietrangelo
7. Yann Sauve
8. Kevin Poulin
9. Luke Schenn
10. Patrice Cormier (no matter what people say about him, I seen him play 5 times this year, and countless times last year, the guy is a beast on the ice, skating is not an issue like alot of people talk about, and it is not bellow par, Cormier, does it all out there, hits, good vision, digs, goes to the net, excellent passer, good shot, strong on the puck)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

thats not name calling, thats just saying the truth.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
1. Steven Stamkos
2. Drew Doughty
3. Kyle Beach
4. Colten Teubert
5. Kirill Petrov
6. Alex Pietrangelo
7. Yann Sauve
8. Kevin Poulin
9. Luke Schenn
10. Patrice Cormier (no matter what people say about him, I seen him play 5 times this year, and countless times last year, the guy is a beast on the ice, skating is not an issue like alot of people talk about, and it is not bellow par, Cormier, does it all out there, hits, good vision, digs, goes to the net, excellent passer, good shot, strong on the puck)

good list. you have a lot of different players on here then other lists. atleast you went out and threw 10 names out there unlike some here. I like Schenn and Cormier too..I am starting to think that the 08' draft is going to be very deep in the first 2 rounds, and may turn out some excellent NHLers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->