Super 70's Sports

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
E09_MteXEAQ03m0

The date of that game is June 20, 1978. That Reds' lineup had few if any equals but the exception that day was a backup catcher named Don Werner (#7) played in place of Johnny Bench. And the Reds won 6-3. That was the last season for artificial turf at the Stick.

Reactions: Tarantula

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^When Virginia lost to Chaminade, that made national news.

There are occasional dips into the 1980s. I would imagine there is a limit to library resources from the 1970s. The site's author has some comical takes (some that can't be posted here due to language).

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Perez went to to Boston after the 1976 season, so you must be correct.

If they wouldn't have traded him, maybe they win again in 1977. He was the heart of the team.

They would have won in 77, 78, and 79... even great GMs make horrible mistakes.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I checked Baseball Reference.

I understood the reference about Kaat and Morgan, I just don't recall anything but you are correct in that Morgan didn't start. Kaat was 2-1 with a 4.13 ERA against the Reds in 1976 with 4 starts. Morgan was a reserve in the first three but doubled off Kaat in the final start. Doug Flynn did start the first three games.

The following two years, the only years that truly play into the discussion, there didn't seem to be any pattern regarding Morgan sitting out Kaat starts.

I suppose it was lefty-lefty theory, and thus give Morgan a game off. Maybe a day game after a night game. The usual. Maybe something else. But I didn't know about it until you mentioned it.

The catch by Braggs is around 2:28:20. It wasn't the most visually impressive catch but the importance is what mattered. Game 6, a one-run lead, a one-hitter in progress, two outs from clinching the series, but the lead run at home plate in the 9th inning.

I was there for that game(nosebleeds in left field). For some reason until seeing this I thought it was Paul Oneil who made that catch..

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I collected so much of that stuff -- even NASL stickers and I didn't follow soccer. It was cool to see the Memphis Rogues or the New England Tea Men stickers.

Two of my old teammates were in the last group of 4 to be cut from the Memphis Rogues. The one guy was so good that some other teams in our league would put 2 guys on him. He would still score 1 or 2 goals nearly every game.

I once saw him score 3 goals on 3 shots in the first 5 minutes of a game. The last one was from the half line. He was so overcome with emotion that he wanted to come out. One of our teammates shouted at me to also "score a hat trick" as I was running out on the field to replace him for a few minutes so he could compose himself. Even I laughed at that!

He never got called back and he ended up playing in college at a Midwestern school not generally known for soccer.
He was a year older and went to a different high school in my hometown. I never saw him again.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The uniforms and the Astros of 1980 probably signaled the transition of the 70s into the 80s more than any other franchise. Still, unknown rookie Marty Bystrom vs. fireballer Nolan Ryan in the deciding game of the 1980 NLCS in what was one of the most eclectic clinching games and series of all-time.

Last edited:
Reactions: plank and Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The uniforms and the Astros of 1980 probably signaled the transition of the 70s into the 80s more than any other franchise. Still, unknown rookie Marty Bystrom vs. fireballer Nolan Ryan in the deciding game of the 1980 NLCS was one of the most eclectic series of all-time.

I remember those unis on the old standard Cathode Ray Tube colour TV that could never handle the gradations at that resolution! :eek:

Nothing reminds me of the late 70's like those unis and the jerseys worn by the Canucks around the same time, what a weird time to have eyeballs...

6d84bfb2d4f29256.jpg

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I remember those unis on the old standard Cathode Ray Tube colour TV that could never handle the gradations at that resolution! :eek:

Nothing reminds me of the late 70's like those unis and the jerseys worn by the Canucks around the same time, what a weird time to have eyeballs...

6d84bfb2d4f29256.jpg
Whenever I see those jerseys, I am reminded of the Best-of-3 series against the Flyers in 1979. I seem to recall a 30-point difference in regular season points but Van won Game 1. The next game was decided in the final minute of regulation on an incredible faceoff win by Bobby Clarke. Otherwise, the game goes into OT and the Canucks could have had one of the biggest upset sweeps in NHL history. And the game was well after midnight on the East coast. Fun times.

Reactions: Tarantula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->