Super 70's Sports

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Griffey was a better all-around player than Driessen. He nearly won the batting title in 1976, IIRC had a three of four point lead over Bill Madlock on the final day. Madlock went 4-for-4 to pull ahead and seeing this Sparky Anderson used Griffey, who was bring rested in a meaningless season finale, up as a pinch hitter -- for Driessen no less -- but he struck out. Lost the batting title on the final day. The Reds went 7-0 that post-season.

I am not sure of you were around in 1976 but the 9th inning of the final game of the NLCS that year was the perfect representation of what the Reds offered that year -- around 1:54:00 on the clip below:

Householder was part of the early 80s rebuild. Foster, Griffey, Collins all gone. In came Householder, Duane Walker, Clint Hurdle and others but none factored.

Mike Schmidt was the year in between my older brothers in high school. He was going to play pro football but was clipped in practice and blew out his knee. Steve Yeager played for our arch rival, Meadowdale. It must have been awful playing in that conference in the late 1960s! The site of our high school is a branch library now.

I am sure that I watched this game on TV. George Foster was a better defensive outfielder than most people gave him credit for. He had a wicked throwing arm. I remember him throwing out a runner at home on a Sac Fly in a playoff game. He threw it from the left field corner. Gary Nolan was a tough playoff pitcher. His arm went dead. I am pretty sure that it was a rotator cuff. For some reason, the Reds never scored very many runs for him, 3 or less was usual. When somebody else pitched, the Big Red Machine would score 5, sometimes more.

Joe Morgan hated to bat against Jim Katt. He would sit out a regular season game and let the utility infielder play. Maybe that was Doug Flynn? Al Michaels did the Reds games on radio for 7 years.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Mike Schmidt was the year in between my older brothers in high school. He was going to play pro football but was clipped in practice and blew out his knee. Steve Yeager played for our arch rival, Meadowdale. It must have been awful playing in that conference in the late 1960s! The site of our high school is a branch library now.

I am sure that I watched this game on TV. George Foster was a better defensive outfielder than most people gave him credit for. He had a wicked throwing arm. I remember him throwing out a runner at home on a Sac Fly in a playoff game. He threw it from the left field corner. Gary Nolan was a tough playoff pitcher. His arm went dead. I am pretty sure that it was a rotator cuff. For some reason, the Reds never scored very many runs for him, 3 or less was usual. When somebody else pitched, the Big Red Machine would score 5, sometimes more.

Joe Morgan hated to bat against Jim Katt. He would sit out a regular season game and let the utility infielder play. Maybe that was Doug Flynn? Al Michaels did the Reds games on radio for 7 years.

There is a lot of info there. That personal story is a somber tale of reality.

George Foster threw out Denny Doyle in the 6th game of the 1975 World Series with the bases loaded no outs and the Red Sox needing one run to win in a tie game. Fred Lynn hit into that double play (outfielder, home plate). Supposedly, Don Zimmer, the third base coach, told Doyle "No, no" and Doyle countered he thought Zimmer said "Go, go." Something like that. Anyway, perfect throw by Foster.

In one way, that play reminded me of the final out of Game 5 of the 1972 World Series. Oakland had 1st and 3rd, down by a run with one out in the ninth inning. They could have won the World Series that night. Bert Campaneris hit a pop fly to second base. Morgan caught the ball and whizzed it home when pinch runner pitcher Blue Moon Odom tried to score. Double play, game over.

Perhaps the best outfield catch by a Reds was in the ninth inning of Game 6 of the 1990 NLCS by Glenn Braggs. Reds led by one, Pittsburgh's Carmelo Martinez hit it out of the park. Braggs brought it back in. Should have been a 2-run HR. Pittsbugh had one hit the whole game. They could have led 3-2 with 2 hits. It was a flawless and underappreciated catch. The Reds clinched.

Fred Norman was a player who for a while lacked run support. Sparky Anderson would use him in between starts sometimes. Norman was 11-2 to start 1976. He used to beat the Reds with bad Padres' teams and that caught the eyes of many. He beat the Reds 4 times in 1972 alone when they went to the 7th game of the World Series and San Diego was a most miserable franchise. That carried into 1973 when the Reds dealt for him. That trade ended that problem of facing Norman and was one of the best trades of the 1970s. He was awesome at Riverfront.

Gary Nolan was mentioned by some in the same breath as Nolan Ryan and not because of the similarity in names. He had incredible zip early on. But later had extensive arm trouble in his career and missed just about all of 1973 and 1974. He was solid during the two championship years but was shot after that.

I don't recall the Morgan-Jim Kaat connection. Kaat wasn't in the NL very long. Late 70s with the Phillies? If so, that was a season or two at most if he flustered Morgan but I don't remember Kaat being an irritant to the Reds as a whole.

Tommy Hutton batted .320 in his life against Tom Seaver, he was around a .250 hitter. One of those oddities.

Steve Carlton, a Hall of Famer, used to struggle against the Reds. They used to look forward to facing him in a competitive way.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
There is a lot of info there. That personal story is a somber tale of reality.

George Foster threw out Denny Doyle in the 6th game of the 1975 World Series with the bases loaded no outs and the Red Sox needing one run to win in a tie game. Fred Lynn hit into that double play (outfielder, home plate). Supposedly, Don Zimmer, the third base coach, told Doyle "No, no" and Doyle countered he thought Zimmer said "Go, go." Something like that anyway. Anyway, perfect throw by Foster.

In one way, that play reminded me of the final out of Game 5 of the 1972 World Series. Oakland had 1st and 3rd, down by a run with one out in the ninth inning. They could have won the World Series that night. Bert Campaneris hit a pop fly to second base. Morgan caught the ball and whizzed it home when pinch runner pitcher Blue Moon Odom tried to score. Double play, game over.

Perhaps the best outfield catch by a Reds was in the ninth inning of Game 6 of the 1990 NLCS by Glenn Braggs. Reds led by one, Pittsburgh's Carmelo Martinez hit it out of the park. Braggs brought it back in. Should have been a 2-run HR. Pittsbugh had one hit the whole game. They could have led 3-2 with 2 hits. It was a flawless and underappreciated catch. The Reds clinched.

Fred Norman was a player who for a while lacked run support. Sparky Anderson would use him in between starts sometimes. Norman was 11-2 to start 1976. He used to beat the Reds with bad Padres' teams and that caught the eyes of many. He beat them 4 times in 1972 alone when they went to the 7th game of the World Series and San Diego was a most miserable franchise. That carried into 1973 when they dealt for him. That ended that problem and was one of the best trades of the 1970s. He was awesome at Riverfront.

Gary Nolan was mentioned by some in the same breath as Nolan Ryan and not because of the similarity in names. He had incredible zip early on. But later had extensive arm trouble in his career and missed just about all of 1973 and 1974. He was solid during the two championship years but was shot after that.

I don't recall the Morgan-Jim Kaat connection. Kaat wasn't in the NL very long. Late 70s with the Phillies? If so, that was a season or two at most if he flustered Morgan but I don't remember Kaat being an irritant to the Reds as a whole.

Tommy Hutton batted .320 in his life against Tom Seaver, he was around a .250 hitter. One of those oddities.

Steve Carlton, a Hall of Famer, used to struggle against the Reds. They used to look forward to facing him in a competitive way.

I remember Freddy Norman. They also got another pitcher from the Padres for the same reason. Maybe it was Clay Kirby?

It was just Morgan and Kaat because both were lefties and Kaat had that crazy pitching motion and was a Gold Glove fielder many times.

Eric Davis robbed a lot of home runs as a Center Fielder. He helped the Reds get to the 1990 World Series. I think that the wall was 8 feet high rather than the 12 feet when Riverfront Stadium opened in 1970.

Steve Carlton was another story. Rose could switch hit. Morgan, Geronimo, Griffey and Driessen were all lefties. Mike Lum was a lefty PH. He was a fastball pitcher and the Reds were a first pitch, fastball hitting team and they were good at it!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I remember Freddy Norman. They also got another pitcher from the Padres for the same reason. Maybe it was Clay Kirby?

It was just Morgan and Kaat because both were lefties and Kaat had that crazy pitching motion and was a Gold Glove fielder many times.

Eric Davis robbed a lot of home runs as a Center Fielder. He helped the Reds get to the 1990 World Series. I think that the wall was 8 feet high rather than the 12 feet when Riverfront Stadium opened in 1970.

Steve Carlton was another story. Rose could switch hit. Morgan, Geronimo, Griffey and Driessen were all lefties. Mike Lum was a lefty PH. He was a fastball pitcher and the Reds were a first pitch, fastball hitting team and they were good at it!

I checked Baseball Reference.

I understood the reference about Kaat and Morgan, I just don't recall anything but you are correct in that Morgan didn't start. Kaat was 2-1 with a 4.13 ERA against the Reds in 1976 with 4 starts. Morgan was a reserve in the first three but doubled off Kaat in the final start. Doug Flynn did start the first three games.

The following two years, the only years that truly play into the discussion, there didn't seem to be any pattern regarding Morgan sitting out Kaat starts.

I suppose it was lefty-lefty theory, and thus give Morgan a game off. Maybe a day game after a night game. The usual. Maybe something else. But I didn't know about it until you mentioned it.

The catch by Braggs is around 2:28:20. It wasn't the most visually impressive catch but the importance is what mattered. Game 6, a one-run lead, a one-hitter in progress, two outs from clinching the series, but the lead run at home plate in the 9th inning.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Two things:

1. The clip shown about Magnum P.I. features a helicopter. Doesn't that look similar to a replica of the former Vancouver Canucks' color scheme? We can't transfer the link here because a naughty word is displayed.

2. I forgot about these. They were sold in traditional department stores IIRC rather than the neighborhood convenience store. And Blue Moon Odom pitched for Atlanta? Hmmm... research shows three teams in 1975, so yes with a gaudy 1-7 record. I would have lost that wager that he played in the NL.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Never been an autograph seeker but an uncle who lived in New York gave me a baseball singed by Seaver and Dave Kingman years ago. Not sure what happened to it, most likely used it in a pick up game:booboo:

The 1970s had some awesome World Series. 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1979 among the best. 1976 was special for another reason because it solidified the greatest post-WW2 team.

I suppose we all hold our earliest memories to greater heights but when I think of the superstars of that era... let's just say I am glad to have witnessed it. Now? I don't think I could name 10 pitchers in all of baseball.

Reactions: Tarantula and plank

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
The 1970s had some awesome World Series. 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1979 among the best. 1976 was special for another reason because it solidified the greatest post-WW2 team.

I suppose we all hold our earliest memories to greater heights but when I think of the superstars of that era... let's just say I am glad to have witnessed it. Now? I don't think I could name 10 pitchers in all of baseball.

Sadly I couldn't name 10 either, Can't even remember The White Sox pitcher's name who just threw the no-hitter.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Sadly I couldn't name 10 either, Can't even remember The White Sox pitcher's name who just threw the no-hitter.

When Tom Seaver finally did get his no-hitter, it was for the Reds against the Cardinals. The final out was George Hendrick.

A few years later, Mario Soto of the Reds was within one out, one pitch, of a shutout and no-hitter. He lost it on a game-tying home run with two outs in the ninth to.... George Hendrick of St. Louis. There was a captured look of disillusionment from Soto in a photo transmitted to every newspaper in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: plank

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
When Tom Seaver finally did get his no-hitter, it was for the Reds against the Cardinals. The final out was George Hendrick.

A few years later, Mario Soto of the Reds was within one out, one pitch, of a shutout and no-hitter. He lost it on a game-tying home run...with two outs in the ninth to.... George Hendricks of St. Louis. There was a captured look of disillusionment from Soto in a photo transmitted to every newspaper in the country.

I'd like to see that photo transmitted to every newspaper!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is one of those staggering facts in sport. The oddity about the fact below was that Johnny Bench played outfield -- not catcher -- the first time he accomplished the feat.

Another about Bench was that in the playoffs, opponents tried to steal on him 19 times, only six succeeded (by comparison, the Reds were 54 of 71 in those same games). He was significantly better than anyone at his position.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Just got my 3rd t-shirt from this guy

0111-0050-10_-_Jefferson_Cleaners_Tee_-_RED_2472x.png

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is one of those staggering facts in sport. The oddity about the fact below was that Johnny Bench played outfield -- not catcher -- the first time he accomplished the feat.

Another about Bench was that in the playoffs, opponents tried to steal on him 19 times, only six succeeded (by comparison, the Reds were 54 of 71 in those same games). He was significantly better than anyone at his position.

That didn't take long:

Reactions: PredsV82

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Sad news

Joe Morgan, driving force of Big Red Machine, dies at 77 - TSN.ca

He died at his home Sunday in Danville, California, family spokesman James Davis said in statement Monday. Morgan was suffering from a nerve condition, a form of polyneuropathy.

“Joe Morgan was quite simply the best baseball player I played against or saw,” Reds Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench texted to The Associated Press.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad