Super 70's Sports

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

That was 1981 IIRC. The year the Reds had the best record in baseball... and didn't make the playoffs due to the split season. To this day, among the biggest errors in judgment in any sport -- to award teams who won the first half automatic advancement to the playoffs (Dodgers were given the West title based on playing one more game).

Anyone remember when Tony LaRussa stated it would be advantageous to lose in the second half to better situate his team and Whitey Herzog said he would instruct his team to lose games when he became aware of that? Baseball had to revise its plan for the second half because of that.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
There are a few write ups about this guy, he was no ordinary slouch. Turned out to be a good high school LB and was already lifting weights like crazy by this time. He actually did catch the ball but had to immediately drop it. Turned out he skipped school that day to go to the game, only to find a picture of himself hanging from the railing on the front page of the paper the next morning.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
^
I used to be a die hard Dolphins fan, it's a f***ing shame what they did to their uniforms.

I could go for some whiffle ball, I think I could still hit with my Oscar Gamble stance!
That slider graphic should be a screwball, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: PredsV82

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^
I used to be a die hard Dolphins fan, it's a f***ing shame what they did to their uniforms.

I could go for some whiffle ball, I think I could still hit with my Oscar Gamble stance!
That slider graphic should be a screwball, right?

LOGOS: To this day, I think the Rams blue-white combo is clean, precise and yet menacing.

0d8d386eea113243abea12de767dfe5b--football-defense-fearsome-foursome.jpg

WIFFLE BALL: It is graphically but the way the ball is thrown helps make it a screwball.

Now only if there were lessons on how to use Vaseline or an emery board to doctor the ball.

Last edited:

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
:laugh: Joe brought his tools.

I miss Letterman, the current late nite shows are unwatchable.

I still think I'm right about the whiffle ball. A slider breaks the same direction as a curve while a screwball breaks the opposite direction.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
:laugh: Joe brought his tools.

I miss Letterman, the current late nite shows are unwatchable.

I still think I'm right about the whiffle ball. A slider breaks the same direction as a curve while a screwball breaks the opposite direction.

Baseball has fallen much in the past couple or so decades at least in my eyes. Barely unwatchable.

Remember this? If I heard the announcer, he said "Phil" Niekro twice.

BTW, I watched a couple of innings of LAD-Oak Game 1 1988 World Series, the other night as it was re-aired. I heard Vin Scully quote Dave Stewart as saying he hit a triple off Mario Soto (when he was one of the best pitchers in the NL) and the Reds. I didn't remember that so I checked Baseball Reference and it never happened. He hit it off an obscure pitcher named Geoff Combe.

Scroogies...and how to toss one:

How to Throw a Screwball: 11 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula and plank

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Baseball has fallen much in the past couple or so decades at least in my eyes. Barely unwatchable.

Remember this? If I heard the announcer, he said "Phil" Niekro twice.

BTW, I watched a couple of innings of LAD-Oak Game 1 1988 World Series, the other night as it was re-aired. I heard Vin Scully quote Dave Stewart as saying he hit a triple off Mario Soto (when he was one of the best pitchers in the NL) and the Reds. I didn't remember that so I checked Baseball Reference and it never happened. He hit it off an obscure pitcher named Geoff Combe.

Scroogies...and how to toss one:

How to Throw a Screwball: 11 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

I like Niekro's slight of hand move:laugh: almost got away with it.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ I will.

A little isolated trivia. The Dolphins famous winning streak at the time was snapped by the Raiders at the University of California, which I believe is or was the only time the stadium hosted a regular season NFL game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula and plank

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
If you(or anyone) want to kill 45 minutes, check out this episode of A Football Life.

Kiick isn't doing very well these day:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/09/jim-kiick-miami-dolphins-nfl-concussion-lawsuit-assisted-living

I watched. A few thoughts:

The map: The graphic of the flight and the effort it took to get there. Remarkable. You know there had to be some deep respect among the three to make that concerted journey.

Larry Csonka: He moved to Alaska. Jake Scott, a Super Bowl MVP on the unbeaten team, moved to a remote location of Hawaii. The two Super Bowl MVPs in the franchise's only wins: one in Hawaii and the other in Alaska, distant, off the beaten paths.

Jim Kiick: I read your comment above. I would never have recognized him. He was shown on the sidelines during that Monday Night game vs. Chicago with a tan and had the image of someone enjoying retirement, relaxed, not untypical for the time period. Rockin' the pink on Carson during his heyday, try to find that suit today. His fishing skills or lack thereof were obvious.

Mercury Morris: An engaging laugh. He was on the talk show circuit frequently after he had his incident. His comment about "hate heights" made me think of players and people in general who have their own fears including that of flying but to pose on that statue was imposing to him.

Memphis Southmen: I had that S.I. magazine cover for many years. Did you notice in the clip the names on the back of the jerseys had different colors/fonts? The franchise was originally known as the Toronto Northmen. However, a law was passed in Canada that no team could play in a U.S.-based League or something similarly. The team moved. Elvis Presley among others went to the home opener.

At Pittsburgh: Another bit of trivia that wasn't mentioned. Despite the Dolphins being perfect, they had to play the AFC title game in Pittsburgh because of the protocol of rotation at the time. Imagine, you don't lose a game and still don't have home advantage.

Don Shula: Best line of the broadcast. "And who beat them?!" I am not sure which is a scarier indicator of the quickness of life: Shula coached the Dolphins for 25 years or he hasn't coached the team for the past 25 years. I wonder if the Dolphins will recognize that he was hired 50 years ago if they haven't already done so.

Collins Ave.: Imagine what some of those drivers must have been thinking seeing people on horses in the middle of major road. Let's hope they were given warnings. I could just imagine the traffic reports via helicopter if the reporter was unaware.

Denver Broncos: Those helmets were fantastic especially matched against the orange jerseys.

Houston Oilers: That early color scheme was not appealing.

Reactions: plank

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
^^

It was funny the three of them giving each other the business. Csonka used to have a TV show called North to Alaska I used to watch despite the fact I don't fish or hunt, for some reason hunting and fishing shows soothed my weekend hangovers:laugh:
I was a Fins fan(got the Dolphins Digest in the mail) from the mid 70's until Shula was fired, hated Jimmy Johnson. Wow! 25 years since he was fired, time flies. He's 90 now and in a wheelchair. I'm getting to the age where my boyhood sports and music hero's are fading away.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@plank

I watched a rerun of Match Game recently, from the 70s of course. Best game show ever, IMO.

A contestant said she was recently married and after conversation the son to John McKay "of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

Gene Rayburn said "Oh, the new expansion team!"

IIRC, he had some comical one-liners when mic'd up by NFL Films.

Reactions: plank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->