Paywall Suomela choose Sharks when "half the league" was interested in signing him

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
That's actually what all teams do. Part of the justification for the Ehrhoff deal all those years ago was to open up space to let guys like Jason Demers and Justin Braun earn a spot in the lineup. It happens frequently and it's a requirement in a cap league.

Sure a spot or 2 but he's talking about 2 more rookies to go along with Shovels and Chartier. Still, read what I wrote. I think you might see more movement like that if those players had really outplayed existing rostered players on a team that isn't going all in to the degree the Sharks are this season. This is likely the most they've gambled in their history by trading so many assets for a player who is only signed for this season.

Erhoff got dumped for peanuts because the team had soured on him and they had players that believed in more needing spots. Braun and Demers had played their way out of the minors.

The reality is that no Sharks rookie has done that other than Shovels. Charter looks like he may need some time in the minors and Gambrell is looking like he needs a shot at the 4th C. Other than that no one on the Cuda roster has earned a spot on what is likely the deepest Sharks team I can remember. And this is without Jumbo in the lineup yet.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I’m not even saying these guys deserved a spot over anybody currently on the roster, including Melker, Gambrell, or Chartier. I would probably rather have Radil over Melker, but it’s not that big of a deal. I’m just shocked that DW didn’t try to open up a spot for those guys.

This isn't a development year for the big club. They're all in and can't have any questionable performances.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I already liked DW Jr. after reading another really excellent article of Kurz's after DWJr was promoted to director of scouting. Jr. emphasized his plan to, basically, get their bottom-6ers for free out of Europe, and put all their draft capital into finding superstars. It's good to see that this isn't just an idea. They really have solid networks and connections for making this happen, as evidenced by their successful pursuit of Suomela.

Sounds like a great plan, I'm just not sure how sustainable it is once other teams catch on. If they have not already.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure a spot or 2 but he's talking about 2 more rookies to go along with Shovels and Chartier. Still, read what I wrote. I think you might see more movement like that if those players had really outplayed existing rostered players on a team that isn't going all in to the degree the Sharks are this season. This is likely the most they've gambled in their history by trading so many assets for a player who is only signed for this season.

Erhoff got dumped for peanuts because the team had soured on him and they had players that believed in more needing spots. Braun and Demers had played their way out of the minors.

The reality is that no Sharks rookie has done that other than Shovels. Charter looks like he may need some time in the minors and Gambrell is looking like he needs a shot at the 4th C. Other than that no one on the Cuda roster has earned a spot on what is likely the deepest Sharks team I can remember. And this is without Jumbo in the lineup yet.

I did read it and it doesn't give that kind of caveat. In reality, anybody that is on the Barracuda right now is likely outplaying Melker Karlsson the way he is at evens. Outside of that, I could understand possibly moving Dillon to allow for Simek to get regular time since they like him and keeping 8 D on the regular isn't all that efficient but I doubt anything happens yet.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I did read it and it doesn't give that kind of caveat. In reality, anybody that is on the Barracuda right now is likely outplaying Melker Karlsson the way he is at evens. Outside of that, I could understand possibly moving Dillon to allow for Simek to get regular time since they like him and keeping 8 D on the regular isn't all that efficient but I doubt anything happens yet.
the problem is they should be doing it relatively soon rather than later what's going to happen is we'll know these guys are better than the people we have in but pee won't play them because he doesn't trust them at all and it will be too late in the season for that kind of risk

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
the problem is they should be doing it relatively soon rather than later what's going to happen is we'll know these guys are better than the people we have in but pee won't play them because he doesn't trust them at all and it will be too late in the season for that kind of risk

I agree but I'm not terribly worried about it because injuries will likely happen and force them to run with some of the minor leaguers over certain points of the season. Next year is when they will likely make some moves to clear cap space provided Karlsson wants to stay here and then you'll see more new faces. I just think moving Melker is at this point addition by subtraction when they have so many options to put in his spot at the very least equal to what he provides at significantly less of a cost. And it would be a good idea so that they can save cap space for deadline additions. I'd honestly prefer to bury him in the minors and save a minuscule amount of cap space at this point. That's how poor he is playing.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

You mention Melker so you didn't read it all. I specifically mention him as someone that doesn't apply to. I also mention the team them being all in this year. There is more than one post regarding this. I seriously doubt they move Dillon. He still brings something that few on the roster do. As long as they play well I just don't see them trading a D man till maybe as long as the trade deadline if they have injuries issues with another position. So like I said, they aren't just opening positions for rookies this season in particular unless it's a sure thing which I honestly believe they felt Shovels was.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You mention Melker so you didn't read it all. I specifically mention him as someone that doesn't apply to. I also mention the team them being all in this year. There is more than one post regarding this. I seriously doubt they move Dillon. He still brings something that few on the roster do. As long as they play well I just don't see them trading a D man till maybe as long as the trade deadline if they have injuries issues with another position. So like I said, they aren't just opening positions for rookies this season in particular unless it's a sure thing which I honestly believe they felt Shovels was.

The whole opening spots for rookies things almost always happens before the season starts. Only a team that is selling does that in-season or if they're doing another package deal for a player. Chances of that happening aren't very good this year. This off-season, it's definitely going to happen.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The whole opening spots for rookies things almost always happens before the season starts. Only a team that is selling does that in-season or if they're doing another package deal for a player. Chances of that happening aren't very good this year. This off-season, it's definitely going to happen.

Ok...? So that has nothing to do with what me and the other guy were discussing. He asked why DW didn't open up spots for them this season. I explained why I thought.

I have no doubt next season will bring larger scale changes. If they sign EK65, if they let Pavs walk, all the RFA contracts and their effect on the cap, however the 8 D-men things sorts itself out...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ok...? So that has nothing to do with what me and the other guy were discussing. He asked why DW didn't open up spots for them this season. I explained why I thought.

I have no doubt next season will bring larger scale changes. If they sign EK65, if they let Pavs walk, all the RFA contracts and their effect on the cap, however the 8 D-men things sorts itself out...

Pretty sure it does since the discussion was about before the season and not moving more guys to make more room. And it's specifically has to do with Melker and other forwards. There really wasn't anyone else to move to do such a thing.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Pretty sure it does since the discussion was about before the season and not moving more guys to make more room. And it's specifically has to do with Melker and other forwards. There really wasn't anyone else to move to do such a thing.

No. You totally came in half way and missed the point and just tried to make your square argument fit in the round hole. It's cool man, this isn't worth arguing with you about. :)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No. You totally came in half way and missed the point and just tried to make your square argument fit in the round hole. It's cool man, this isn't worth arguing with you about. :)

Except that's exactly what you responded to. You're the one trying to make the point about something else at this point.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Don't dare try to say Shovels is as good as Tierney on the main boards. Lol it's a shit show if you do.

Somehow worse than when you tried to say Burns was as good as Karlsson a couple of years ago.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I think shovels needs to bulk up a bit but his stick skills, vision and skating are at minimum on par with tierney and I would generally argue better

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Don't dare try to say Shovels is as good as Tierney on the main boards. Lol it's a **** show if you do.

Somehow worse than when you tried to say Burns was as good as Karlsson a couple of years ago.

No point in comparing the two of them right now. We should wait atleast a full season, maybe even two to make a fair comparison. Though to be fair, their roles appear to be fairly different going forward. Shovels is set to be our 3C for the future and it looks like Tierney is going to be the Sens 2C.

Honestly, at this point why even bother. We have Shovels who has shown that he is a good fit for the 3C role so far. They have Tierney who seems to be having the best stretch of 7 games with 9 points. Both sides are happy.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Sounds like a great plan, I'm just not sure how sustainable it is once other teams catch on. If they have not already.

Well, even if they start doing it more, the Sharks have a built-in advantage for signing them, since they were a first mover, and already have built up a good reputation with the players and agents. If you're a player in an EU league, and you're approached by the Sharks and other teams, who are you going to most believe will give you a real shot: A) The Sharks, who have proven they do exactly that, or give players shots with other organizations if they don't work out here, or B) Some other team for whom you'd be one of the first EU signings, assuming the deals are roughly equal in other ways? For all we've complained about giving away players like Nieto or Carpenter for basically nothing, it's important to remember that potential FAs probably see those moves differently than we do. For us, it's losing an asset for nothing. For the potential FA, it shows that DW is willing to give players a chance to succeed in the league, even when allowing them to do so doesn't immediately benefit the Sharks. I think that's another important aspect of the team's appeal to players like Shovels.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Don't forget the cautionary tale from last year, Shipachov. Signed with VGK. Only Russian. On merit, did not get season opening NHL roster spot. Didn't report to AHL. Recalled and didn't play well. Eventually retired, repaying most of signing bonus. (Went back to KHL and just about failed to stay on roster there)

Definitely needed some support from countrymen to properly integrate.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad