Post-Game Talk: Sunshine and Yams

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
he doesn’t have much choice. I mean he was basically forced to play Sheahan over 17 minutes today.

Nuge and Drai shouldn't even be seeing the pk and ESPECIALLY when we are in the lead. Tippett is going short term results but with no mid range plan in sight. What happens in 3 games, 5 games, 10 games. Expecting a few players to do it all on all units is untenable. We're essentially giving our stars more minutes (pk) and resting other players that could otherwise handle some of those minutes.

I mean at least cut back the 2mins of hard action a night that Drai and Nuge are pk. That's stretching them thin. Drai had a breakaway tonight and no gas to finish it. he got caught, a rare event. He's got break speed but he had nothing. An example of how overwork cost us.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nuge and Drai shouldn't even be seeing the pk and ESPECIALLY when we are in the lead. Tippett is going short term results but with no mid range plan in sight. What happens in 3 games, 5 games, 10 games. Expecting a few players to do it all on all units is untenable. We're essentially giving our stars more minutes (pk) and resting other players that could otherwise handle some of those minutes.

I mean at least cut back the 2mins of hard action a night that Drai and Nuge are pk. That's stretching them thin. Drai had a breakaway tonight and no gas to finish it. he got caught, a rare event. He's got break speed but he had nothing. An example of how overwork cost us.

Who else are you going to put on the PK? I mean I think if Granlund gets in he will get some PK minutes, but it’s not like you can put Gagner on the PK.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Who else are you going to put on the PK? I mean I think if Granlund gets in he will get some PK minutes, but it’s not like you can put Gagner on the PK.

Haas has been a swiss knife wherever he's been. He can play on pk. P Russel can too. In fact its where they should be getting more minutes. Khaira can pk. More than he is. The team should bring up Granlund instead of Cave who was a fantastic disaster today. Cave would usually get some more minutes but he was awful. maybe he had the flu or something. Worst game I've ever seen from him. I'm not a fan of him but usually he can play decently with his minutes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Larsson has played 18 games on the road... 5 pts and +5... and 18 games at home... 0 pts and -9. Quite a dramatic difference.

I'd wonder how much this is due to the teams greater attention to detail on the road and having more men back. There was pretty decent bend but don't break on all units today. mind you Koski still had to hold the fort pretty spectacularly during breakdowns that did happen. But the team around Larsson has better focus and adhere to schemes more on the road. That Larsson has better stats when the team does this is positive. It means he can be his best when the team around him is applied to gameplan. Speaks well for playoffs I would think.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Haas has been a swiss knife wherever he's been. He can play on pk. P Russel can too. In fact its where they should be getting more minutes. Khaira can pk. More than he is. The team should bring up Granlund instead of Cave who was a fantastic disaster today. Cave would usually get some more minutes but he was awful. maybe he had the flu or something. Worst game I've ever seen from him. I'm not a fan of him but usually he can play decently with his minutes.

Haas yes, but Russell no.

The issue is do you want to go all out for a win today and accept a scheduling loss tomorrow, or go halfway in today and maybe lose both games?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Haas yes, but Russell no.

The issue is do you want to go all out for a win today and accept a scheduling loss tomorrow, or go halfway in today and maybe lose both games?

P Russell is a tire fire in offensive zone but he's a real solid player in other areas and really good at getting pucks out and getting them deep. Seems a natural for pk. he can't produce worth shit but he rarely makes a mistake out there. Its why he's even in the lineup he's such a low event player.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
P Russell is a tire fire in offensive zone but he's a real solid player in other areas and really good at getting pucks out and getting them deep. Seems a natural for pk. he can't produce worth **** but he rarely makes a mistake out there. Its why he's even in the lineup he's such a low event player.

He’s not particularly big or fast nor does he reads plays particularly well. Just because a player is a low event bottom 6 guy it doesn’t automatically make him a good penalty killer.

Reactions: fuswald

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Khaira has been a brilliant PK man.. in fact that's all he's been good for. Staple him on the PK and don't let him on the ice at evens.

Maybe I shouldn't say this (because Neal certainly helped the team post some big wins earlier in the season)... but I don't think the team is missing Neal at all either recently. His play had declined and I'm not sure if was an aggravated injury but whatever it was.. it was making him a detriment on the ice at evens especially.

Strategically, his removal from the lineup was quite fortuitous as it aligned with Yamo coming in and the difference has been dramatic... or YAMATIC if you will. :)

I had a feeling there was going to be at least one more pleasant surprise from down in Bako... one of Benson/Currie/Gambardella (and who knows maybe even a rejuvenated kicked in the ass Granlund)... but maybe we won't see that... but still some time to see if someone else can make an impact even half as much as Yamo has.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He’s not particularly big or fast nor does he reads plays particularly well. Just because a player is a low event bottom 6 guy it doesn’t automatically make him a good penalty killer.

All the ingredients are there. P Russel is really damned good at getting the puck out and he's very strong on the puck. he moves puck up ice like his life depends on it. Watch for it. He's very consistent battling pucks out of zone. I can't see how he wouldn't be decent on the pk.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
All the ingredients are there. P Russel is really damned good at getting the puck out and he's very strong on the puck. he moves puck up ice like his life depends on it. Watch for it. He's very consistent battling pucks out of zone. I can't see how he wouldn't be decent on the pk.
Board work is only one part of the PK. Most of it is actually spent in zone or man to man reading plays and having an effectively active stick. I don’t see him having a great defensive stick or being a strong one on one player.

Besides, like I said, you either go all in to try and ensure at least one win, or you go half way and maybe lose both.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Board work is only one part of the PK. Most of it is actually spent in zone or man to man reading plays and having an effectively active stick. I don’t see him having a great defensive stick or being a strong one on one player.

Besides, like I said, you either go all in to try and ensure at least one win, or you go half way and maybe lose both.

Yes, but you're susceptible to priority in the moment vs the remainder of season. Spend now, pay later..

heres the experiments Tippett is currently engaging in;

Nuge 25mins/night. This is unknown territory. Typically I see nuge starting to wilt with this kind of minutes after about 5-6 games. its been around 4.

Yams is going from rookie to close to 20mins/night. Again this is completely unknown territory and the player has to box beyond his weight in every puck scrum. I mean he's such a gamer right now and never says no but for how long?

Drai has hit a wall severely once already this season. He typically has good finish but I could see him having a real slow down coming right up here. He's willing himself to be the team right now, put it right on his back. But the shelf life for a big player to do that is around 5-10 game stints. With Drai he's been carrying the club even before the McD injury. Really I'm amazed he has stuff in the tank. The ASG break really helped but we're getting into a segment of schedule now well beyond that and with no rest in sight.

I don't even know how Drai is still carrying this load now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes, but you're susceptible to priority in the moment vs the remainder of season. Spend now, pay later..

heres the experiments Tippett is currently engaging in;

Nuge 25mins/night. This is unknown territory. Typically I see nuge starting to wilt with this kind of minutes after about 5-6 games. its been around 4.

Yams is going from rookie to close to 20mins/night. Again this is completely unknown territory and the player has to box beyond his weight in every puck scrum. I mean he's such a gamer right now and never says no but for how long?

Drai has hit a wall severely once already this season. He typically has good finish but I could see him having a real slow down coming right up here. He's willing himself to be the team right now, put it right on his back. But the shelf life for a big player to do that is around 5-10 game stints. With Drai he's been carrying the club even before the McD injury. Really I'm amazed he has stuff in the tank. The ASG break really helped but we're getting into a segment of schedule now well beyond that and with no rest in sight.

I don't even know how Drai is still carrying this load now.

The earlier you get the points and lock up a spot, the earlier you can rest. Do all you can to take the win when you can get it. I suspect they might play at 25% energy tomorrow and lose, but at least they made sure they got one today.

That’s better than losing both because you were only 80% committed to today.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The earlier you get the points and lock up a spot, the earlier you can rest. Do all you can to take the win when you can get it. I suspect they might play at 25% energy tomorrow and lose, but at least they made sure they got one today.

That’s better than losing both because you were only 80% committed to today.

Still short term thinking;), but I see your point, and it would be what Tippett is likely thinking. Florida was pretty ripe for the picking, that's a known. Nice to see the club bear down on those as they need them. Carolina game is probably a lot tougher.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Still short term thinking;), but I see your point, and it would be what Tippett is likely thinking. Florida was pretty ripe for the picking, that's a known. Nice to see the club bear down on those as they need them. Carolina game is probably a lot tougher.

I can be a NHL coach too! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad