Sundin and the Habs in 2008

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
In June of 2008, the Leafs gave the Canadiens exclusive rights to negotiate with Mats Sundin before the July 1st free agency period opened. The Leafs got nothing in return (as far as I know). So what incentive did the Leafs have to give the Habs permission to talk to Sundin? Usually, when this happens, there's at least a draft pick going the other way.

I believe the Pens gave the Leafs permission to talk to Maxime Talbot earlier this week as well.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
The Leafs weren't going to resign Mats and they traded him to Montreal because Montreal offered them *something* on the condition they'd sign Mats to a contract. In essence, they'd be getting something for giving away a player who wasn't in their future plans.

Future considerations is a very ambiguous term, it could've been anything from a roster player(s) to a draft pick(s).

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
That whole Sundin saga was pretty bizarre. He essentially screwed over the Leafs by never getting them anything in return and yet somehow his legacy with that team remains pretty untarnished.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Apparently the Canadiens had offered Chris Higgins, Grabovski and their 1st in 2008 for Sundin before the trade deadline that year but Sundin wouldn't allow it. They tried again at the draft, trading for his negotiating rights but Sundin wanted nothing to do wih the Habs and rejected them again...

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
That whole Sundin saga was pretty bizarre. He essentially screwed over the Leafs by never getting them anything in return and yet somehow his legacy with that team remains pretty untarnished.

He definitely caught a lot of flack at the time in Toronto, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who hold a grudge. But as the years pass, it's hard to stay mad at a guy over something like that after he did so much for the franchise.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He definitely caught a lot of flack at the time in Toronto, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who hold a grudge. But as the years pass, it's hard to stay mad at a guy over something like that after he did so much for the franchise.

Like what?

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->