Sunday Top 10 - Overagers Worth Signing (2019 Edition)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - Overagers Worth Signing (2019)

An annual tradition that sees me rank the top available overage free agents to NHL teams.

This year's list is as follows:

1. Justin Brazeau
2. Tye Felhaber
3. Mitch Eliot (already signed)
4. Keegan Howdeshell
5. Jordan Sambrook
6. Kevin Hancock
7. Nic Mattinen
8. Anthony Salinitri
9. Stephen Dhillon
10. Kyle Maksimovich

Link has full write ups and HM's.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Thanks Brock, great article as usual. Could you expand further on why you consider Felhaber as an average skater. That comment really surprised me as I consider him as an excellent skater to my non expert eye. Thanks in advance for your comments.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
A usual, another fine piece. Thanks a bunch.

Just want to point out an omission you made in the Felhaber profile:

You listed the OHL players who had scored 70+ goals in the league. You forgot to mention Ernie Godden. 87 goals in 68 games. 80-81 Windsor Spitfires.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Thanks Brock, great article as usual. Could you expand further on why you consider Felhaber as an average skater. That comment really surprised me as I consider him as an excellent skater to my non expert eye. Thanks in advance for your comments.

It was probably poor wording on my part. As an OHL player, Felhaber is definitely an above average skater. In particular, his first few steps are great. What I was trying to say was that for a player that possesses only average size (at 6'0), his skating likely wouldn't be considered elite at the NHL level or pro level for that matter. He'd be an average, or slightly above average skater at the next level. Which brings about the question of whether he'll be able to exploit those gaps and find those scoring lanes as well as he has at the OHL level.

I'm going to re-word what I wrote in the article because you're right, it does appear that I'm calling him a not that great skater. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: sirius67fan

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
A usual, another fine piece. Thanks a bunch.

Just want to point out an omission you made in the Felhaber profile:

You listed the OHL players who had scored 70+ goals in the league. You forgot to mention Ernie Godden. 87 goals in 68 games. 80-81 Windsor Spitfires.

That was intentional. Was only listing the players that had successful NHL careers, as that's why I worded it by saying the company that he was in. Also left out Steve Gatzos.

Thanks for the kind words as always.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad