Boston Globe Sunday Notes - 26 July

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What are the Bruins packing for what could be 10 weeks in isolation? - The Boston Globe

The Bruins’ playoff contingent, a party of 50-plus, will jet off to Toronto on Sunday for the start of what could be 71 days on the road chasing the Stanley Cup.

The charter flight’s underbelly will be full of bags carrying at least a couple of guitars (lead stummers: Brad Marchand and Jeremy Lauzon), bunches of books, untold decks of cards, PlayStations and laptops, and a Halloween’s motherlode of treats to satisfy the sweet-toothed cravings of a roster of more than 30 NHLers, ages 21-43.

“Yeah, Snickers,” said rookie forward Jack Studnicka, revealing the No. 1 item on his playoff camp survival kit. “I do love Snickers bars. It’s kind of my go-to snack.”

You could have a foot and a half of snow there by then,” noted Marchand, proud son of Halifax, Nova Scotia, and a man well-versed in Canadian meteorology. “So, it’s kind of tough to plan what clothes to bring.”
The L’il Ball o’ Hate’s answer: the “everyman” suitcase full of extra sweat shirts and sweat pants.
“Stuff that will be good in the snow,” he mused. “We’re not allowed to go outside anyway, so you don’t really need a jacket.”

My son won’t allow me to bring his PlayStation,” kidded team president Cam Neely. “So I stocked up on some books.”

By the eye of team captain Zdeno Chara, it’s not really about what goes into the bag in these kinds of circumstances. Succeeding in big journeys is more about a mind-set than a checklist of goods or the comforting salve of a deep Netflix binge.

Chara figures he “will keep it simple” when packing this time for the playoffs. His list includes casual clothes, reading material, and the crucial supply of vitamins and diet supplements he takes for his strict, plant-based diet.
“We’ll all be at the hotel,” said the well-traveled big man, “and we pretty much won’t be allowed to go outside the environment that we’ll be presented. So, I will keep it simple. I don’t think it’s rocket science.”
No, but it could be 10 weeks in space they’ve never traveled. Simple, and maybe a bit of Snickers, could carry them a long way.

The stay in the bubble will have its challenges, no matter what gets stuffed in those bags loaded onto the Bruins’ charter. Games and practices will fill their work hours, and the odd Snickers bar or protein shake can satisfy the occasional craving. But the idle hours of a long postseason run into September has the potential to trigger cabin fever for some.
“I think that is definitely a concern maybe some guys have,” said goalie Tuukka Rask, whose workload, in terms of playing minutes, portends to be the heaviest. “It is one thing if you can go to a place, leave, and go do things. But we are not really going to have that opportunity here. You can’t just go outside for a walk, or go get a coffee … we are going to be really tight and confined to the hotel.”

Lauzon and Marchand, the guitar-playing Black and Gold brothers, will have charge of the instrumentals. Ah, if only Rask had dared to drum.
“Exactly,” said Marchand, noting the possibility to “put a show on every night.”
“There’s definitely going to be some days when they get long, and nights when they get long, where you go a little bit crazy,” added Rask. “But at end of the day really only four teams will go through that. And two teams at the end of the day will go the distance. For those two teams, it’s going to be worth it.”
In interviews with a dozen team members in recent days, the most common survival tools included tablets and gaming devices, as well as board games, cards, and books, though most said their tomes would be in digital form.
“We’re going to have a lot of extra time, and to be honest, I gamed a lot,” said left winger Jake DeBrusk, referring to the long league-wide lockdown that began March 12. “So fresh out of quarantine, I want to say I am kind of bored of it. I am definitely looking for different things to do.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
NHL again misses opportunity to promote league - The Boston Globe

They’re almost there. As of Thursday, the NHL reported zero positive tests for COVID-19 for the week. On Sunday, the league will descend on Edmonton and Toronto, ready for a masked-up, socially distant, 24-team chase for the Stanley Cup.
Mathieu Schneider, the former defenseman now working as the right-hand man for NHLPA head Donald Fehr, sees this as a space mission. He compared life in the bubble to a trip to Mars.
“No one’s ever been in there,” Schneider said. “We’ll have to work through things. I’m sure we’re going to face a ton of challenges. We might have a good book when we get out of there.”

There’s a lot of fascinating stuff ahead for hockey fans, deprived of the sweet sounds of whirring skates and whizzing rubber biscuits these last four-plus months.
But we would be remiss if we didn’t first take stock of some small-minded behavior by the NHL.
Forever working against its own interests as it tries to grow the game, the league is not allowing independent media to report from inside its bubbles in Toronto and Edmonton.
As of Friday, four American reporters planned to cross the border — Samantha Pell of the Washington Post and John Wawrow of the Associated Press were going to Toronto, Sarah McClellan of the Minnesota Star-Tribune and Adrian Dater of Colorado Hockey Now were setting up shop in Edmonton — for the opening of the playoffs. Aside from being allowed to watch the games from a perch in the arena, they will be restricted.

No face-to-face interactions, which are the lifeblood of good story telling. No first-hand account of what the plans and diagrams the NHL released late this past week actually look like in person. No view of anything but the games of the teams they cover, then a timely exit from the rink and more Zoom calls.
The Globe is assessing its options as the rounds go on.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the league doesn’t expect to change those access rules, leaning on the “health and safety” aspect of the explanation. More media, Daly said, would be an “unnecessary risk” that could “overburden the system.”

That doesn’t hold water considering the league is welcoming three writers for NHL.com — most of them former print journalists, and good ones, but league employees nonetheless — and 24 team-specific “content creators.” This means that the first recording, of a never-before-seen postseason involving up to 744 players from 24 teams, 170 games and 350 practices over a span of 70 days, will be a sanitized, league-approved version.
Meanwhile, the NBA is allowing reporters inside the bubble to chronicle the most unique time in its history. Globe ace Gary Washburn is one of 17 reporters granted access in Orlando. After quarantining, he is to be tested regularly, and he and his peers will be able to do interesting, factual reporting. You will know what’s really happening when multimillionaire athletes live together for two months in the middle of a pandemic, and whether the league is making good on its stated objectives. He will be your honest eyes and ears.

The NHL’s denial is shortsighted, and shortchanges everyone who loves the game, particularly the millions of fans who invest their money and time. They deserve an unfiltered view, particularly considering this venture involves public health and taxpayer interests. Now is the time for more depth and insight, not less transparency. Having hundreds of passionate members of the media, pros from every hockey-loving country, covering the postseason every year provides a spring smorgasbord for fans.
The NHL has repeatedly told the Professional Hockey Writers Association that our ever-shrinking access is not normal, and that it believes in our partnership. It has said these new access limitations will not carry beyond the time of a global pandemic. Its words are difficult to believe.
“The NHL has always tried to obsessively control the media narrative by restricting or granting access,” said agent Allan Walsh, an outspoken voice on many matters. “This is not a player safety issue, it’s a pretext that will backfire. This kind of backward thinking continually holds the NHL back.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Don’t expect much fraternizing

The downtown Toronto area where the Bruins are staying, Hotel X, is next to a soccer stadium. BMO Field is ready for outdoor activities, game viewing, and dining. Up the street, the Royal York Hotel and its sunny patio deck are connected to Scotiabank Arena by an NHL-use-only underground tunnel.
RELATED: Bruins eager to head to Toronto, begin run at Stanley Cup
In a two-block area in Edmonton, the league will have the JW Marriott, Delta, and Sutton Place hotels, and the palatial confines of Rogers Place, which has an on-site practice rink.
Each city has 14 secure and “diverse restaurants, bars, pubs, and coffee shops,” the league said, a slew of fitness centers and eight activity spaces (think: tennis courts, TopGolf suites, movie theaters, places to run around and play ball). Eventually, they might have “excursions,” such as golf.

Players may not take advantage, certainly not if they’ll have to play with others not wearing their colors.
“I don’t have any interest,” said Torey Krug, who has a lot of close friends around the league he does not plan to chat with until the offseason, even if they pass each other in the hall. Teams will get their own hotel floors and hangout spots, so don’t expect any soccer games to break out among players on different teams.
“You’re going to war with them every single night, especially in a playoff series,” Krug said. “To see guys outside the rink, it’s tough to do. I think I speak for most guys in our room saying we’re going to stay together as a group, collectively.”

aguineapig

Well then, that settles that. His nickname from here on in on my couch will be "Snickers Studnicka".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->