Boston Globe Sunday notes 18 OCT

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Schooling defensemen will be part of Bruce Cassidy’s curriculum - The Boston Globe

When the Bruins return, whether that’s in January, February, or sometime long after, Cassidy will be focused in large part on coaching his back line. Even before Torey Krug and his power-play gifts walked to St. Louis, Cassidy was focused on wringing more offense out of his defense.
They have to be better there. That much he knows.
Cassidy doesn’t know whether general manager Don Sweeney has finished adding to the roster. He expects Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak to be ready soon after the 2020-21 Bruins hit the ice. He’s encouraged by new addition Craig Smith. But he doesn’t yet know how the next edition will be different from last season’s Presidents Trophy winners, who couldn’t sneak by Tampa Bay.
“My head’s everywhere because I’ve got free time,” Cassidy said. "We don’t even know when the season will be starting. We’re not going to go through an exercise of changing a lot of stuff for guys potentially being out. Both those guys, Marchy and Pasta, had surgeries that are not that uncommon. They’re both in great condition, so I’m sure they’ll work hard to shorten that timeline.

The Krugless power play (second in the NHL last year, 25.2 percent) is an area of concern for Cassidy. If the season began tomorrow, he would slot Matt Grzelcyk at the top of the formation. Next up would be McAvoy, who would present a different look as a righthanded shot. For example, David Krejci and McAvoy being righties means the former could feed the latter for one-timers. That wasn’t an easy option with the lefty Krug there.
“There’s always advantages however you set up,” Cassidy said. “If Charlie learns to be deceptive, fake it to Krech and get it over to Pasta, that one-timer — that’s one thing we don’t want to lose on the power play.”

With Krug gone (and potentially Zdeno Chara to follow), between 20 and 40 left-side minutes could be available. There is no shortage of contenders, even without another move from Sweeney. Jakub Zboril showed some offensive skill in Providence. Jeremy Lauzon and Vaakanainen lean more defensive. John Moore has physical tools. Turning them into regulars is another matter.

Few in Cassidy’s career have called it like Krug, who signed for seven years and $45.5 million with the Blues. Cassidy, who coached Krug in Providence beginning in 2012, spoke to him briefly before he hit the market, then “stayed out of the way,” Cassidy said. “I texted him after.
"I’ll always respect Torey for what he did for the Bruins. I wish him well. Not when he plays the Bruins. He’s got his business to take care of. So do I. I’ve said it all along, you meet a lot of good guys in this game.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad