Sunday July 1st: Hawks Sign ? (holy necrobump, Batman!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfchockey*

I have a feeling the Hawks will sit back on Sunday and you won't see any signings. Eventually they will sign a center, but it won't be right away. I think Handzus would be a great fit on the first line because he's big and tough and we are lacking that, but I don't see them paying 4 million to get him. I can't believe that Zeus doesn't give them a home-town discount, especially after missing more than 70 games last season.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I am not expecting them to sign any one major. The best the Hawks can hope for is Handzus and personally i don't even see them signing him. I hope i am wrong of course but we'll see in a day or two.

Ezflow

Jun 27, 2006
Chicago, IL
Zues , Has been given multiple offers from the Hawks and again after we dumped the salaries of Augrion, Suckimore , and Salmo. I hope that he and is agent fall on their faces come july 1st.

chico_hawk

Jun 23, 2007
twitter.com
i get the feeling tallon will try to make a bit of a splash on the first day to continue to build on the buzz created from the recent wave of positive news i.e., aucoin salary dump & draft success, especially since the season ticket push is now in full swing...

he has suggested he won't be pursuing the top UFAs like briere, drury, etc. but i think he might have one or two mid-level guys ready to go...i am expecting preissing on defense and robert lang at center... not huge names, but probably also modest contracts to go with them that gives tallon the maximum flexibility if he needs to change course mid-season... and for a GM who has a lot riding on the coming season and the hawks making the playoffs, i expect he is going to want maximum flexibility in terms of remaining cap space, existing contracts & their "movability", etc.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
i get the feeling tallon will try to make a bit of a splash on the first day to continue to build on the buzz created from the recent wave of positive news i.e., aucoin salary dump & draft success, especially since the season ticket push is now in full swing...

he has suggested he won't be pursuing the top UFAs like briere, drury, etc. but i think he might have one or two mid-level guys ready to go...i am expecting preissing on defense and robert lang at center... not huge names, but probably also modest contracts to go with them that gives tallon the maximum flexibility if he needs to change course mid-season... and for a GM who has a lot riding on the coming season and the hawks making the playoffs, i expect he is going to want maximum flexibility in terms of remaining cap space, existing contracts & their "movability", etc.

Preissing would be a good choice. He is a good solid defender with good experience and he would be a much needed veteran presence on a young blue line.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Nobody. July 2nd will be the announcing date most likely. Not alot of business happens Sundays.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
July 1st-No one
July 2nd-No one
July 3rd- D Tom Preissing

After that i dont know who hawks will sign. Hopefully I am wrong and Handzus comes back but it just doesn't look likely now.

SimonTemplar

Sep 13, 2006
London ON.
Jason Blake would be a great fit in Hawk land.

It would bridge them a few years allowing their young guns to come up slower.

Announcments will be made today all around the league.

It's a holiday weekend in Canada while July 4th is coming up for our American friends.

Live on TV up here today what about the US.

Free agent show coverage starts here around 11 am.

Toronto are going hard after Smyth and Comrie word has it this morning.

They are also looking to move Kubina to Edmonton today.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
July 1st-No one
July 2nd-No one
July 3rd- D Tom Preissing

After that i dont know who hawks will sign. Hopefully I am wrong and Handzus comes back but it just doesn't look likely now.

7 years and 99,999 posts later

I certainly dont want Handzus back now :laugh:

Decided for my 100k post I would track down my 1st post :)

Figured 3rd person to cross 100k on HF would be enough to bend the no bump rule ,, Just once

If we can land a second line center through free agency, I'll be pleased.

7 years later ,, How pleased would you be Disgruntled?

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
oh my god. I started reading this thread from the beginning without looking at the date.
I thought I was in a different world. I was so confused.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I have a feeling the Hawks will sit back on Sunday and you won't see any signings. Eventually they will sign a center, but it won't be right away. I think Handzus would be a great fit on the first line because he's big and tough and we are lacking that, but I don't see them paying 4 million to get him. I can't believe that Zeus doesn't give them a home-town discount, especially after missing more than 70 games last season.

No. Way.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Dont care what anyone says, Handzus was instrumental for 2013 cup run. I'll thank him for that. Didnt have enough left in the tank for this past run.

That's okay. If you wish to believe that he managed to grossly outperform his statistical history in points, goals, assists, +/-, and shooting percentage at an age most players are retiring at on a seriously stacked team playing against unusually weak opponents on a Cup run through his own ability while not being able to duplicate the small sample size either in the ten years before or any time after rather than the possibility that he was getting carried by the Conn Smythe winner, that is quite up to you!

It must be totally reasonable, since that's what Quenneville banked this season on, and surely Handzus's play this year backs that faith up rather than expose it as a statistical quirk/outlier, right?

Unfortunately, history appears to have shown us that either us 'doubters' were right, or you can believe a player's ability can magically increase severalfold in one playoffs and then totally drop off the face of the earth in a single offseason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad