Boston Globe Sunday hockey notes

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
With some added muscle, Brandon Carlo is eager to show off a more aggressive game - The Boston Globe

The ankle is feeling fine, Brandon Carlo is happy to report, and he’s been back skating now for over a month. X-rays last month of his broken fibula, which had the Bruins defenseman again watching the playoffs from the sidelines, were clean and encouraging.
“You can’t even see where the bone cracked when you look at the X-rays,” said a relieved Carlo, reached the other day at his new summer home in Denver. “Each time I’ve gotten on the ice, it’s progressed so much. Throughout the entire skate now, I feel pretty comfortable on the ice . . . no problem.”
All of which leaves the 21-year-old Carlo eager to get back to work when the Bruins report to camp early next month. He will be returning for his third season, the first two of which were distinctly different experiences.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Really want to see this kid pair up with Chara or Moore so he can focus on more of a two-way game. Last year was so tough for him to get involved with the offense considering Krug was usually quick to join the play and someone had to hang back for when the puck went the other way.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Notes from Boston Sports Journal and The Athletic

NHL Notebook: Skating of new Bruin John Moore makes him a defenseman 'every coach would love to have' | Boston Sports Journal

In 447 NHL games with four different NHL teams, Moore has 32 goals and 67 assists for 99 points, but his impact should come in other ways that can’t be measured on the score sheet. The Bruins will likely get the bulk of their offensive production at the blue line from McAvoy, Krug, and Grzelcyk. What Moore brings is a steady, strong fundamental presence on defense, a characteristic he’s long exhibited in his career.

“It’s not a negative, but everybody thinks because he does skate well, it leads to bigger numbers in the NHL,” said Steve Spott, who coached Moore on the Kitchener Rangers in the OHL in 2009-10. “I think he pushes for that, but he’s going to fit in nicely in a secondary role. He gives you a chance to have a real good shutdown defenseman who can kill penalties and be responsible. He gives another dimension compared to McAvoy and Krug, but he doesn’t have to play the same role. He can hide in the weeds a little bit and be one of those defensemen every coach would love to have.”

When Moore arrived in Kitchener for his only year in the OHL, Spott immediately identified Moore’s maturity on and off the ice. He was prepared in a way most teenagers weren’t. Long bus rides for road trips meant snacking on chips and other junk food. Moore typically packed his own meals and ate them when he arrived at their destination, conscious about the nutritional aspect of being a professional most players don’t grasp until later years.

The mental maturity matched Moore’s physical skills and he responded with 47 points in 61 games, and another 16 in 20 playoff games.

McDonald's Sunday Notes: Longtime ref, Boston native Paul...

Being a former NHL referee, Paul Stewart likes to joke that he can’t pass through an airport metal detector because of all the knives he has in his back from his officiating days.

Truth be told, Stewart was one of the most respected referees during his career, and that respect culminated this week in the announcement that Stewart would be part of the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame’s Class of 2018. The Boston native joins Gordon “Red” Berenson, Natalie Darwitz, Leland “Hago” Harrington and David Poile as this year’s inductees, all of whom will be officially welcomed into the Hall in a ceremony in Nashville, TN on Dec. 12.

“It’s the one bit of news that has rendered me speechless,” Stewart said. “The two words that don’t often describe me in a sentence – humbled and speechless.”

Stewart, 65, made history as the first American to officiate more than 1,000 NHL regular-season games, working until his retirement from the NHL referee ranks in 2003. He’s also the first American to both play and later ref in the NHL.
“I’m full of emotion because of all of the people who have helped me along the way,” he said. “There were many times, many days when I needed help.”

Stewart clearly remembers the day he was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1998 and thought everything was “going to be snatched away.” So he bought a plot next to his grandfather’s grave. His grandfather, Bill Stewart, was inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in 1982 as a former Stanley Cup-winning coach for the Chicago Blackhawks and coach for the U.S. National Team.

“I can say with great joy that I’m much happier sharing the real estate at the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame versus the plot out at St. Joseph’s cemetery,” Paul Stewart joked.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
moore is still a head-scratcher for me. no clue how they are planning to pair this all up.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
moore is still a head-scratcher for me. no clue how they are planning to pair this all up.

Do you think they have planned to move one of the others all along and are just waiting for the right time?

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Do you think they have planned to move one of the others all along and are just waiting for the right time?

that's what i can't figure out. i don't see krug here beyond the next 2 years - he's gonna want big
dollars for long-term and i'd be surprised if they did that. grizz is a great fit in that 5/6 role. and
obviously Z is around as long as he wants to be. i understood the idea of possibly dealing krug
to get a guy like klefbom who can play in your top 4 and excel. but to me moore is a 5-6 guy, so
it gets me back to head scratching.

Reactions: sarge88 and TCB

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I don't see why, Sweeney said they wanted to get bigger on the left side and Moore does that at 6'2/210lb. He'll throw the body around (135 hits) and will block shots (105 last year). He can play 20+ minutes a night and is comfortable playing the left or right side. Has some offensives upside at a 20pt guy and should give Boston some good versatility on the back end.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I don't see why, Sweeney said they wanted to get bigger on the left side and Moore does that at 6'2/210lb. He'll throw the body around (135 hits) and will block shots (105 last year). He can play 20+ minutes a night and is comfortable playing the left or right side. Has some offensives upside at a 20pt guy and should give Boston some good versatility on the back end.

whose spot is he taking?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
whose spot is he taking?

Could take Grzelyck spot on the left side or Miller/McQuaid on the right side. If someone goes down due to injury he can slot into that spot (if he hasn't taken someones spot). Boston last season was ranked 2nd to last in blocked shots, Moore should help in that department.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
whose spot is he taking?

That's the question more than anything. I like the move. I think in Bruces system he could easily be a 25-35 point guy and really be a positive factor overall. However, until there is a subsequent move I'm with you Nugs, just wondering how it's going to shake out. I understand having depth. A guy like Postma is depth, but right now we have 8 legit guys who are top 6 and should/could play every night. I think right now McQuaid unless moved is a guarantee to be riding the pine the most, but on the left side we are sitting Gryz? I think there has to be a move, and I'm with you Nugs, I think it's Krug. I don't see him being resigned so the smart move is to get assets back now while he's still got 2 years left. If they stay like this to start the season I will be a bit puzzled.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That's the question more than anything. I like the move. I think in Bruces system he could easily be a 25-35 point guy and really be a positive factor overall. However, until there is a subsequent move I'm with you Nugs, just wondering how it's going to shake out. I understand having depth. A guy like Postma is depth, but right now we have 8 legit guys who are top 6 and should/could play every night. I think right now McQuaid unless moved is a guarantee to be riding the pine the most, but on the left side we are sitting Gryz? I think there has to be a move, and I'm with you Nugs, I think it's Krug. I don't see him being resigned so the smart move is to get assets back now while he's still got 2 years left. If they stay like this to start the season I will be a bit puzzled.

So what are you getting in return for moving out a nearly 60pt d-man? Whose replacing his production on the back end? I think could get moved, but at earliest it'd be the TDL. That gives Boston a chance to see what they have offensively from guys like McAvoy (who would probably be asked to pick up a lot of the offensive production left by Krug) and Gryz. I don't think having a guy like Grz as the 7th is a bad thing. It allows Bruce to mix and match pairings based on the strength of opponents or if guys need some rest here and there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad