Boston Globe Sunday hockey notes - August 24

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From the ECHL to Eastern Conference champs, Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy has come a long way - The Boston Globe

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy was speaking to an acquaintance 10 weeks to the day since Alex Pietrangelo lifted the Stanley Cup over his head at TD Garden, a display of sparks erupting behind the Blues captain. It remains a sore subject.

Game 7 has yet to stop twisting its knife.

“Nope, not really,” Cassidy said, when asked if he’s over it. “Today I am. Tomorrow, depends if someone asks me a question that just happens to hit a nerve.”
Training camp begins the second week of September. The season opens Oct. 3.

“There’s no way,” Cassidy said, that he will be thinking about Game 7 while counting sheep in Dallas the night before the opener. He’s also honest enough to admit that he will indefinitely have a hard time seeing a Blue Note.

“There might be a time on the road next year and we’re sitting there and I’m watching St. Louis play, because they’re playing Montreal and we play Montreal the next night, and I’ll be like, [expletive], you know? That’s the time you might start going backward. But no.”

It was a short summer for Cassidy, slightly numbed by the way the season ended, and subsequent surgery.

He is eight weeks out from a long-awaited left knee replacement, is back golfing, and cleared to ride his bike. He is training mostly off-ice at Warrior Ice Arena, along with a group including defensemen Kevan Miller (broken kneecap), who might be able to start the season on time, and John Moore (broken humerus), who will not. Also seen recently: Charlie McAvoy, still without a contract. Cassidy hadn’t asked him about that, but said if McAvoy ever needed advice, “I would certainly give him my two cents.” Cassidy hadn’t yet run into Brandon Carlo, another unsigned restricted free agent, but expected to soon.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I love hearing this. About how it does hurt. And he can't completely put it out of his mind. Usually, coaches will give the bullshit about "nope, moved on. Not thinking about it...it's done, it's over..."

I like BC because he's a good coach, but also because he seems like a really decent, down-to-earth human being. Come to think of it, I am guessing that is a huge part of what makes him a good coach. And I think this mindset conveyed to the team could certainly mean a lot toward the team's successes this season.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I've at least gotten to the point where I don't think about the loss spontaneously, but things will come up, especially in social media (Twitter poll today about which loss hurt worse, 2013 or 2019) that bring me back and make me sad or piss me off. I'll never forgive the NHL for handling the officiating in last season's playoffs so horribly.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I've at least gotten to the point where I don't think about the loss spontaneously, but things will come up, especially in social media (Twitter poll today about which loss hurt worse, 2013 or 2019) that bring me back and make me sad or piss me off. I'll never forgive the NHL for handling the officiating in last season's playoffs so horribly.

I love hockey too much to turn my back on it but any other sport and I'd be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->