Pre-Game Talk: Sunday guaranteed: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Vancouver Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Thornton needs to come out of the line up.

Agreed. There must have been a handshake agreement when they signed him that they would make every possible effort to let him be a part of things in exchange for signing for so little. I can't think of any other explanation why they keep playing him.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
No laurels to rest on, everyone has something to prove. Will Campbell secure the net again? Will Matthews prove his injury is nothing to worry about? Will Nylander have that game-speed step back? Will Robertson take this opportunity and keep it? Will Tavares continue his hot streak ala sans-Matthews? Can Marner rebound from a bad showing quickly? Will the extra day rest show up in the d-corp re-energized? Will Thornton Spezza Simmonds become a revelation or an abomination? Can the PP score against this weakened weekend opponent?

Last edited:

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
No laurels to rest on, everyone has something to prove. Will Campbell secure the net again? Will Matthews prove his injury is nothing to worry about? Will Nylander have that game-speed step back? Will Robertson take this opportunity and keep it? Will Tavares continue his hot streak ala sans-Matthews? Can Marner rebound from a bad showing quickly? Will the extra day rest show up in the d-corp re-energized? Will Thornton Spezza Simpson become a revelation or an abomination? Can the PP score against this weakend weekend opponent?

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Why are people concerned that the leafs will get Covid from people who have recovered from Covid and been cleared by doctors.

Matthews had Covid right before return to play.

were players scared of him? Did fans want him to sit out?
I don't know if there should be any concern or not, but just want to point out there's a difference between their cases.

Matthews was asymptomatic during his quarantine who felt normal/well the whole time.

Canucks players were hit hard by the Brazilian variant and we know how badly this virus affected them.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't know if there should be any concern or not, but just want to point out there's a difference between their cases.

Matthews was asymptomatic during his quarantine who felt normal/well the whole time.

Canucks players were hit hard by the Brazilian variant and we know how badly this virus affected them.

but that doesn’t affect Toronto.

if we want to say it’s unsafe for van to play for them. That’s one thing.

but to act like they have the cooties is something different. I

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I haven't posted for awhile but decided to have a lazy Sunday read. What I'm struck with is how so many posters are afraid of these bottom feeding teams being a threat to a top level contender. Making all kinds of excuses as to why the Leafs may lose the game. This doesn't sound like there is much confidence in this current team. So what has changed? Lackluster play, injuries, goaltending, laziness, fatigue etc etc etc. There is always an excuse with this team?
Do you think the Bruins as an example go into a game afraid of one player or excuses, no. That's the difference between winners and losers. The narrative at The beginning of the season was we need to shut down Pettersen or we will have a difficult time winning the game. Give me a break!!! A team of superstars afraid of one player who isn't McDavid ha ha.
Is this team a contender or just a pretty good team? Constantly fearing other teams is a bad optic, should be the other way around. If we can't beat these low hanging fruit level teams we are no contender at all.

Last edited:

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I haven't posted for awhile but decided to have a lazy Sunday read. What I'm struck with is how so many posters are afraid of these bottom feeding teams being a threat the a top level contender. Making all kinds of excuses as to why the Leafs may lose the gsme. This doesn't sound like there is much confidence in this current team. So what has changed? Lackluster play, injuries, goaltending, laziness, fatigue etc etc etc. There is always an excuse with this team?
Do you think the Bruins as anbexamplevgobinto a game afraid of one player or excuses, no. That's the difference between winners and losers. The narrative at The beginning of the season was we need to shut down Pettersen orvwe will have a difficult time winning the game. Give me a break!!! A team of superstars afraid of one player who isn't McDavid ha ha.
Is this team a contender or just a pretty good team? Constantly fearing other teams is acbad optic, should be the other way around. If we can't beat these low hanging fruit level teams we are no contender at all.
The opening of your post started out sounding like the start of a Penthouse letter ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: baton elevated

LeafsGuy16

LeafsGuy16
Sep 4, 2018
I can’t wait for the Leafs to win so that we can be a good team again! LOL

Man are some people short sighted - I’d hate to have them managing my investments...yikes.

Relax, have a drink, enjoy the ride. Bad stretch, but good teams rebound. Let’s see it tonight! GLG!

Reactions: FelixPotvin29

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I haven't posted for awhile but decided to have a lazy Sunday read. What I'm struck with is how so many posters are afraid of these bottom feeding teams being a threat to a top level contender. Making all kinds of excuses as to why the Leafs may lose the game. This doesn't sound like there is much confidence in this current team. So what has changed? Lackluster play, injuries, goaltending, laziness, fatigue etc etc etc. There is always an excuse with this team?
Do you think the Bruins as an example go into a game afraid of one player or excuses, no. That's the difference between winners and losers. The narrative at The beginning of the season was we need to shut down Pettersen or we will have a difficult time winning the game. Give me a break!!! A team of superstars afraid of one player who isn't McDavid ha ha.
Is this team a contender or just a pretty good team? Constantly fearing other teams is a bad optic, should be the other way around. If we can't beat these low hanging fruit level teams we are no contender at all.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

(PTSD) is a psychiatric disorder that may occur in people who have experienced or witnessed a traumatic event

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
but that doesn’t affect Toronto.
if we want to say it’s unsafe for van to play for them. That’s one thing.
but to act like they have the cooties is something different. I

I get what you're saying but it's difficult to put complete faith what medical experts allow or disallow especially when there are so many unknowns.

Due to this so called P1 variant surging in B.C., medical experts suggested interprovincial and international travel restrictions, meanwhile the Leafs just travelled across provincial borders --go figure.

There are other concerns not because VAN players have 'cooties' but because until the Leafs actually been vaccinated (even vaccines aren't 100%) they're all sitting ducks.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

For me personally, the apprehension comes from this core’s track record of being able to come up huge in big moments but also completely no show when you think they’ve got an easy game on their hands.

Just look at our record against Ottawa this year or the Canucks series after we dominated Edmonton as examples of having trouble against the bottom feeders. Not to mention the EBUG incident or the wild momentum swings and effort levels vs Columbus in the ill fated play in round.

If Boston fans have more swagger than Toronto fans it’s because there’s a long history of trust that they will bring a fairly consistent product to the ice in big and routine, regular season and playoff games. For us, it’s high ceiling and low floor.

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
Unfortunately, you have to think that when Foligno gets here Robertson will be out and Foligno will be in his place.
Why? Wouldnt you want a 3rd line shut down that allows our top 6 to score in peace and a 4th line that can provide depth scoring with Spezza? and Yes I know the puck dies in Soups hands but I think he is so fast that he helps Spezza and Simmonds score

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Foligno-Kerfoot-Hyman
Mikheyev-Spezza-Simmonds

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Yeah I think we see Foligno Thursday vs the Jets. Which will give him 10 games with us before playoffs. Don't think he'd qualify/ be ready for Tuesday vs Vancouver but I could be wrong. Trade happened last Sunday, just not sure when he actually got here for his 7 day quarantine
He arrived in Toronto on Tuesday to start his quarantine.

Reactions: Nylander88

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
For me personally, the apprehension comes from this core’s track record of being able to come up huge in big moments but also completely no show when you think they’ve got an easy game on their hands.

Just look at our record against Ottawa this year or the Canucks series after we dominated Edmonton as examples of having trouble against the bottom feeders. Not to mention the EBUG incident or the wild momentum swings and effort levels vs Columbus in the ill fated play in round.

If Boston fans have more swagger than Toronto fans it’s because there’s a long history of trust that they will bring a fairly consistent product to the ice in big and routine, regular season and playoff games. For us, it’s high ceiling and low floor.

Just look at who throws the most hits in the league and forchecks as hard as any team. Yep that’s Ottawa. Heavy hitting team against possession team. That’s why they have our number. It’s kind of insulting to them to say we don’t play well against them because we do play well against them.

Ottawa was a team that would improve from day one of the season. They are no guaranteed points much more now than the beginning of the season and improving.

We won’t be the only team getting a reality check down the stretch from this team if we don’t match them physically. They are the perfect team to build a playoff style against down the stretch here. Just try matching them physically would be nice to see in our remaining games. The Sens are a likeable team how hard they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad