GDT: Sunday Funday - Wings @ Avs - 3:00 EST - FSD

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Larkin leads the team in minutes, Mantha gets plenty of ice as well. Bert’s minutes increased after the TDL. AA decreased a bit because he plays C (important for him).
Svech is just learning. 16 minutes?Kinda ridiculous. Not one of the top 500 coaches in the world gives him that right now.

All that matters is bottom three coaches

We're now a development team.

No benefit whatsoever playing helm or Abby or Zetterberg like we have been doing.

0-10

Time to ONLY think about 2022

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
All that matters is bottom three coaches

We're now a development team.

No benefit whatsoever playing helm or Abby or Zetterberg like we have been doing.

0-10

Time to ONLY think about 2022
No, what you don’t get is that there’s no benefit to a kid being out there against Mckinnon or Kucherov or Getzlaf or Kopitar all night getting completely dominated and ending up -5 every game with nothing to show offensively. No way that is the only way to success in 2022.

If Svech plays big minutes, he answers questions when the team loses. He takes blame. He gets hated on message boards for not being good enough in his 7th NHL game to go head to head with the NHLs best.

Let the veterans lose. We need the kids when we want to start winning again.

Reactions: SoupGuru

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
No, what you don’t get is that there’s no benefit to a kid being out there against Mckinnon or Kucherov or Getzlaf or Kopitar all night getting completely dominated and ending up -5 every game with nothing to show offensively. No way that is the only way to success in 2022.

If Svech plays big minutes, he answers questions when the team loses. He takes blame. He gets hated on message boards for not being good enough in his 7th NHL game to go head to head with the NHLs best.

If that’s the case then throw him back to the minors because him playing 5 minutes a night is not doing a single thing for his development. He shouldn’t need to answer questions we are a bottom 5 team going nowhere currently on a 10 game losing streak I think all the “questions” have already been asked at this point

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

How are they developing playing five mins a night or being publicly blamed by those very same loser vets?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

But what this team needs most is kids talented enough that they CAN shoulder the load fairly quickly, even on a losing team. It's not like the Laines and Matthews of the world sat in the minors while veterans kept the seat warm for them.

Maybe Svech isn't ready to sink or swim on a bad team. Or good enough to ever be ready for that. But the really really good players tend to be awarded to bad teams, and have to cut their teeth by rising above the mud.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
10 minutes for Athanasiou tonight.

Unbelievable.
Could have sworn I watched the top line get owned all night long.

Darren Helm gets 19 minutes.
Mantha - who's been awful - gets 17 1/2.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

Unbelievable.

For all 14 minutes they played it was a repeat almost. Get pressure in the offensive zone, get tired, lose the puck, watch the puck go down 200ft the other way, AVS score.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
For all 14 minutes they played it was a repeat almost. Get pressure in the offensive zone, get tired, lose the puck, watch the puck go down 200ft the other way, AVS score.
'
I know.
Z and Nyquist end up with nearly positive or positive CF meanwhile they got owned where it counts.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I was there, it was odd. Wings seemed to dominate play, won FO's, Shots and played more physical. Avs just put it home when they needed and the wings were on the periphery a lot. Daley, Larkin both looked good. Svech looked lost, Lil Bert played with a lot of energy and was all over the puck. It was a good one to lose, but man the fans in Denver are not knowledgeable about hockey. I also sat behind 4 nuns, made for some odd conversation with my hockey mouth.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Who would want him now, let alone in two seasons?
Why would any team want a 39 year-old Brian Gionta who couldn't land an NHL contract this past off season? Teams are always looking for depth. There are injuries. Helm is still a good PKer. Hell bring value to a team for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Honestly, I would take Gator over Helm any day of the week. Only thing that sucks about Abby's contract is the term length.

I would rather have Helm anyday. Helm is a good penalty killer and good defensively. The problem is his hands are bricks and he plays too much.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Honestly, I would take Gator over Helm any day of the week. Only thing that sucks about Abby's contract is the term length.
Me too. People actually defend Helm still? You guys are living like 6 years back then. Helm has zero physical force in him anymore. ZERO. The guy used to buzz around and hit and forecheck like a beast causing turnovers. He's baby shit soft now. I also feel his skating has declined. He loves to just kind of "flip" the puck, he's a flicker as my Dad calls him.

At least Abby still plays with some intensity and he's having a good season honestly.

I also still think the Helm deal was a personal favor as family friends. He was about to walk and signed 2 mins before FA.

chris05

May 23, 2013

Unbelievable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the wings don't have a top line. if they did they would be above .500 hockey.....even poke and hope gets you 50/50 hockey according to the old goat. the wings are well below .500 hockey they must be doing something right.​

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
if z and nyquist could compete a little harder on the defensive side of the puck the wings would not suck like they do. along with 20 minute a night guy who can't score.....a new streak is alive......

We all have players that frustrate us for whatever reason, sensible or not. I have to point out your annoyance with Larkin is not sensible.

In 2014 re-drafts, analysts agree that Larkin's production would move him around the 7th OA slot! That is an amazing jump and value for the Wings picking 15th that year.

I think the hot topic is the discussion about properly evaluating a players contribution relative to their draft position. 1-3, 4-7, etc. From a scale based on ppg. we can properly judge the success of each choice. As was said in the AA thread, the dude is 4th rounder. Nyquist was also a 4th round pick that's far exceeded his draft position, I think people forget that.

Sure, partly because of success (high picks), partly because of faulty decision-making, the Wings are an ugly team to follow. Still it doesn't seem productive to blame the players whose deals are actually fair.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How are they developing playing five mins a night or being publicly blamed by those very same loser vets?
Svech should get at least 8-10 minutes, but still he’s mostly there to watch and learn right now. Practicing with NHLers, getting a feel for the pace and physicality of the game, these things can help him prepare for next season. He’s not ready right now and wouldn’t be in the NHL at all if we were a playoff team.

But what this team needs most is kids talented enough that they CAN shoulder the load fairly quickly, even on a losing team. It's not like the Laines and Matthews of the world sat in the minors while veterans kept the seat warm for them.

Maybe Svech isn't ready to sink or swim on a bad team. Or good enough to ever be ready for that. But the really really good players tend to be awarded to bad teams, and have to cut their teeth by rising above the mud.
Svech isn’t that player right now and was never projected to be. Certainly not in hist first 10 NHL games. He doesn’t get better simply by being more in over his head.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think the Wings are actually playing this season perfectly. They gave an honest effort through the first 2/3 of the season and now they're throwing in the towel when it matters. I don't blame anyone on this team for not playing well - the ledger and management aren't the only ones who would benefit from getting a high pick and infusing more talent into this organization. Now is the time when half-assing it is a smart professional strategy for everyone involved, at least in some respects.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Well Tues. we could very well be eliminated from playoff contention with a Devils win or OTL. Yipppee!

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
I was there, it was odd. Wings seemed to dominate play, won FO's, Shots and played more physical. Avs just put it home when they needed and the wings were on the periphery a lot. Daley, Larkin both looked good. Svech looked lost, Lil Bert played with a lot of energy and was all over the puck. It was a good one to lose, but man the fans in Denver are not knowledgeable about hockey. I also sat behind 4 nuns, made for some odd conversation with my hockey mouth.
Since half of the fans there were Red Wings fans, that doesn't surprise me.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I would rather have Helm anyday. Helm is a good penalty killer and good defensively. The problem is his hands are bricks and he plays too much.
I'll take the 40 point player who is physical and pretty sound defensively.

Helm is no longer notably fast and as you point out has hands of stone. Replacing a guy who's a good penalty killer and good defensively (hello Glendening) is a lot easier than replacing what Abby does. Abdelkader is on pace to put up 37 points on this craptacular (and now full on tanking) team. He's been one of the bright spots.

Don't get me wrong though, I hate both their contracts.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In hindsight, I'm sure the shoe was on the other foot a lot when the more talented Wings of old faced clearly inferior teams.

The scrub team "competes", until the better talent finds a mistake and exploits it. Rinse and repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad